PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
My stainless steel natural gas Ducane is on its last leg. It lasted 17 years. We grill all year, even in the snow, so it has been durable w/very little maintenance. I’m looking to replace it with a Broilmaster P3XFN, w/stainless steel (SS) patio base, SS shelves, and side burner. Anybody have experience w/Broilmaster, or have any other recommendations? I’m looking for something dependable that will last 15-20 years. The grill is shown below, but built differently:
F2A17510-47A2-4490-9E0F-6D09368424DC.png

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Can't help, low and slow in hardwood smoke only, even in winter. Couldn't resist dropping that bit of useless, off-topic, trivia into the thread.

The people I know who don't mind being wired to electricity really love their "Traegers" as they handle pretty much everything leaving the owner/operator, not "grillmaster", more time for beer and socializing as they really aren't involved in the cooking, only the prep. Which isn't all bad I suppose.

Aresone

Lurker
Apr 27, 2020
Yoder smoker all the way. They are expensive but they are worth it. You can smoke, roast, and direct sear. They have a WiFi capability now too. They are made of significantly heavier gauge steel then others (specifically the traeger) and will hold heat better and use less pellets.

Reactions: STP

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
Same here, it's been bulletproof, mine's about 12 years old. Super easy to totally break down and clean.
And if you ever do need parts they usually have them at a local dealer. I just refitted my second generation (side by side burners) Genesis LP grill that I have here in AZ with stainless grates and flavor bars from Ace Hardware. ?

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Can't help, low and slow in hardwood smoke only, even in winter. Couldn't resist dropping that bit of useless, off-topic, trivia into the thread.

The people I know who don't mind being wired to electricity really love their "Traegers" as they handle pretty much everything leaving the owner/operator, not "grillmaster", more time for beer and socializing as they really aren't involved in the cooking, only the prep. Which isn't all bad I suppose.

No question, that's the optimal way to do things. However, with good prep, I can get it very close to that with the Traeger. I'm not striving for contest level smoking or grilling. However, the steaks and hamburgers I can make using it as a grill will rival most any high end steak house. I recently smoked a beef brisket and whole chicken that were very good.

Kind of like pipe smoking expertise. I'm not looking to win awards or be judged as a world expert by my peers. I only want to be good enough that I enjoy the heck out of it myself. The reality is, I don't have the time to try and achieve contest level grilling and smoking. Nor probably the patience. But what I can make with the Traeger beats the crap out of ordering from door dash. It's also far better than a gas grill. I don't see much advantage to those but to each their own.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
And if you ever do need parts they usually have them at a local dealer. I just refitted my second generation (side by side burners) Genesis LP grill that I have here in AZ with stainless grates and flavor bars from Ace Hardware. ?
And there seems to be a cottage industry on Ebay, making stainless grates, flavor bars, etc. from Stainless, that sell on Ebay at about 40% of the same Weber pieces.

Reactions: STP and jpmcwjr

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
We just bought a Rec-Tec Pellet grill about 7 months ago, first foray into the pellet concept.......
So far we love it, it is goof-proof. We did a 32 POUND turkey on it for Thanksgiving. I spatchcocked it, and it just barely fit!
Best Turkey I've ever had, and the first time we bought a pasture raised bird from a local farmer. About 3X the cost, but man, the flavor was incredible, and it felt good to support the locals here......

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I was being a bit snobbish earlier. Indeed, I have had fine meals prepared on grills, skillets, camp stoves, etc. But, hardwood charcoal, not the glued together briquets, smoke can't be replicated with pressed wood. I'm certain a great meal can come off an electric cooker though, I've had a few. Henry Ford's briquette was a gift to the weekend chef, a way to make money from the waste of making his "flivvers". My father grilled many a tasty steak or hamburger over the lowly briquette. Hardwood is still my preferred method of cooking with smoke and grilling. I like being able to match wood to meat.

Status
Not open for further replies.