PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Hardwood is still my preferred method of cooking with smoke and grilling. I like being able to match wood to meat.
I agree wholeheartedly, when I have the time, that's the only way to go............... But a pellet grill fills my needs when I don't have 3-4 hours to devote to the whole hardwood/fire ritual.
When I retire, the pellet grill will take a backseat!..............

Reactions: STP
I almost bought a pellet smoker, but then opted for a barrel type with a side smoke box. To get pellets, I would have to drive an hour down the road to either Academy Sports or Lowes. Our stores in town don't yet carry them. Maybe when they become common enough that they are found closer to home. But, I also love keeping a fire box tended.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Speaking of grilling, how do y’all prefer to season your steaks? Do y’all use a marinade or just give it some salt and pepper? I am cooking steaks for some buddies next week and I am looking for some ideas. Thanks!
For me, just salt and pepper. That's all I want on a good steak. Others like what they like, but I would offer any sauces or seasonings at the table, and let the buddies decide on the seasonings......

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Different cuts and grades talk to me. Sometimes I get a bit carried away. But, grass fed, no grain/corn finish, and well aged usually needs nothing. I let the guest add the condiments to taste. I love the grassy, beefy taste of steers who have never set hoof in a finishing lot. Salt and pepper, maybe some garlic, all depending on the grade for store bought beef.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I was being a bit snobbish earlier. Indeed, I have had fine meals prepared on grills, skillets, camp stoves, etc. But, hardwood charcoal, not the glued together briquets, smoke can't be replicated with pressed wood. I'm certain a great meal can come off an electric cooker though, I've had a few. Henry Ford's briquette was a gift to the weekend chef, a way to make money from the waste of making his "flivvers". My father grilled many a tasty steak or hamburger over the lowly briquette. Hardwood is still my preferred method of cooking with smoke and grilling. I like being able to match wood to meat.

The Traeger isn't an electric cooker. No, it doesn't use charcoal which I'm a big fan of myself. Yes, it uses electric to ignite the pellets. I guess it's fair to consider it a hybrid electric/wood pellet cooker. What I like better about it vs charcoal is not having to worry about flame ups. And having reasonably precise temperature control. My steaks and hamburgers are far juicier than what I was able to cook with charcoal.

Sep 4, 2019
East TN
Speaking of grilling, how do y’all prefer to season your steaks? Do y’all use a marinade or just give it some salt and pepper? I am cooking steaks for some buddies next week and I am looking for some ideas. Thanks!
Salt and pepper and some worchesteshire sauce, dress with butter while it’s resting

Reactions: Jwebb90
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL

If you have cheap meat, marinade. If you have good meat and will cook it correctly, some spice is adequate. I use a pepper medley I grind, a very light sprinkle of some red pepper flakes and a very light sprinkle of light brown sugar. Less is more, more is less.

Reactions: Jwebb90

macaroni

Lifer
Oct 28, 2020
Texas
Pecan wood on my AJ's smoker/backyard model (it's about 500 lbs so it doesn't blow over when the wind's blowing :). Got a cord of pecan wood from a truck coming south out of Paris, TX--keep it in the garage on a steel rack. I'm ignorant on the Traeger but it sounds cool! When we smoke, we usually do lots and stock up the freezer :))) mmmm good

Status
Not open for further replies.