PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Tommy_P

Lurker
May 17, 2023
Hello everyone. I started smoking a pipe again a couple of months ago after a lengthy hiatus. I have so far only a couple of very cheap pipes from a local tobacconist and few cheap cobs. However tomorrow is my birthday and I am going for a day trip to Oxford to the tobacconist there to treat myself to a couple of things. I'm hoping to get a new pipe or two and a couple of tobacco tins. So far I have just been smoking St Bruno which in fairness I do really like but I'm wondering where to explore next - I'm not particularly drawn to aromatics but am open to pretty much anything else. I am torn between a straight billiard, a churchwarden (purely for my Tolkeinesque fantasies) and a Peterson system pipe. Any pipe/tobacco recomendations would be welcome. I generally favour smaller pipes as I often just put a pinch or two in because I usually smoke outside with cigarette smokers who are done in half the time I am! I also enjoy a far more leisurely bowl when at home on my own.

Highlandpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 23, 2023
Clynder, Argyll & Bute, G84 0QX
Welcome from Sunny Scotland. I had a preconceived idea what I would like at the beginning but have learnt from these wise people just to go with how you feel. Don't set yourself a definitive idea when you go to your B&M store, just go in look and chat and decide what draws you the most would be my advice. Works for me.
As for tobacco and as you are in the UK, if its an English blend you like I would recommend Squadron Leader as a safe option.
I wish you lots of luck and enjoy your dive into the next phase of you pipe adventure.

Flatfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 20, 2022
West Wales
Welcome from West Wales.

Squadron Leader is a popular English blend.

Or why not try Capstan. Straight Virginias. No Latakia.

Reactions: Tommy_P
May 9, 2021
Geoje Island South Korea
Howdy & welcome, from Korea.

I would say, buy a couple of cans of various blends, but knowing how expensive tobacco is in the UK...
Virginia's are always a favorite. So maybe start there and from that you can maybe decide which direction you want to go.
Enjoy your trip to the tobacconist. puffy 👍

Jbyrd

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 4, 2023
Springfield MO
Welcome from Missouri. I personally am liking VA and VaPer tobaccos right now. Good luck in your search and Happy Birthday.

dunnyboy

Lifer
Jul 6, 2018
New York
Welcome from NYC. Because you're in England and wanting to treat yourself, I would go with a straight billiard manufactured in in England. Think Dunhill (group 3 is on the small/medium size), Ashton, Charatan, etc. You can't go wrong and you'll never tire of it. Otherwise, it's like going to Savile Row and buying Levis. :)

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian