PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

JC4life

Lurker
Aug 5, 2023
Essex
Hello everyone. I started smoking a pipe again a couple of months ago after a lengthy hiatus. I have so far only a couple of very cheap pipes from a local tobacconist and few cheap cobs. However tomorrow is my birthday and I am going for a day trip to Oxford to the tobacconist there to treat myself to a couple of things. I'm hoping to get a new pipe or two and a couple of tobacco tins. So far I have just been smoking St Bruno which in fairness I do really like but I'm wondering where to explore next - I'm not particularly drawn to aromatics but am open to pretty much anything else. I am torn between a straight billiard, a churchwarden (purely for my Tolkeinesque fantasies) and a Peterson system pipe. Any pipe/tobacco recomendations would be welcome. I generally favour smaller pipes as I often just put a pinch or two in because I usually smoke outside with cigarette smokers who are done in half the time I am! I also enjoy a far more leisurely bowl when at home on my own.
Yes it is a bind keeping to cig times, i found a cheep falcon sport pipe was good for keeping up with the heathens! Many happy returns, hope you find somthing nice. Mine is coming up so I'm hoping I get a meerschaum of some description.

RookieGuy80

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2023
Maryland, United States
Greetings from Maryland!

Hey, with you being from Worcester, UK, maybe you can help settle a longtime bet from the other side of the Atlantic. In the state of Massachusetts, they have a city with the same spelling. My parents are from there. The pronunciation they use is (phonetically) "Whistah" (it would be Whister if it weren't for the wacky New England habit of dropping Rs at the end of words with them and adding them to the ends of words without). And in Maryland we have a county spelled the same, but pronounced "Warchester". Are any of us close? Thanks.