PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Welcome from Sarasota. Now I have seen your thread all your worries are over. From now on grasshopper you will be trained by a most humble master....me. lol Seriously pipe smoking is an art and don't let anyone try to tell you different. There are a number of variables to get the most out of your pipe and tobacco. If you don't have a lot of patience it might not be for you. I have been at this over 20 years and I still learn new stuff which is cool.

I always tell newbies to jump right into the deep end and either drown or come out ahead of the game.
First you need a pipe. I recommend a pipe like this.
Winslow makes a great pipe for the money and the size will allow you too smoke a few different blends.

Now for tobacco. Screw aromatics until you have more experience
. I would get a tin of Capstan Blue Flake and a tin of Escudo. The Capstan is straight Virginia with some nice sweetness and the Escudo is a Virginia/Perique that has some sweet and spice. Both are readily available. You will need to read up on how to prepare flakes and coins. There are a few ways for both and you will eventually figure out what works best for you.

You really need patience, you need to learn how to pack a pipe, what is a false light then the true light. You will need to sip slowly don't go looking for clouds of smoke, there is no flavor in the clouds. Go to Youtube, and ask loads of questions here,that is what we do here. We were all newbies at one time. Good luck.

Reactions: Reginald

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
You have the Meerschaum and the Savinelli, so you have a rotation and can let the briar pipe rest. No problem. If you want to have a third, rather than shelling out for another briar, you might get a Missouri Meerschaum cob pipe, and I recommend spending a little more and getting one readymade with an acrylic stem which lasts better than the regular ones. You can take your time on buying pipes, and learn about them before buying any more. Buy tobacco in small quantities -- an ounce bulk, a tin, a pouch -- in different genres. I wouldn't buy more at a time of any brand. Your tastes will change, even if you find one you think you really like. Welcome.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
MSO in my opinion a bad Meer is the worst pipe for a newbie. They suck. A 100.00 Winslow is a really good pipe for the money. Too cheap a pipe you will get a wet nasty smoker that could turn the guy off totally. Also screw cobs, if you get a good pipe in the begining you will have a baseline as to how a good pipe smokes that way if you buy a lemon down the road you will know it. If you start with a shit pipe how are you going to know a good one.

Pipe smoking is not cheap. If you cannot afford 100 for a pipe and 30 for a couple of tins then another hobby may be better.Now compared to cigars pipes are cheap especially when you figure cost per bowl. It costs about .82 cents to smoke a 3 gram bowl of Capstan that will last a good hour and a half. Try to find a top of the line cigar for that. Capstan is one of the most expensive blends and it is still dirt cheap compared to cigars. Smoking the best is the way to begin your career,screw cheap bulks.

Reginald

Lurker
Apr 3, 2020
Florida
Welcome from Sarasota. Now I have seen your thread all your worries are over. From now on grasshopper you will be trained by a most humble master....me. lol Seriously pipe smoking is an art and don't let anyone try to tell you different. There are a number of variables to get the most out of your pipe and tobacco. If you don't have a lot of patience it might not be for you. I have been at this over 20 years and I still learn new stuff which is cool.

I always tell newbies to jump right into the deep end and either drown or come out ahead of the game.
First you need a pipe. I recommend a pipe like this.
Winslow makes a great pipe for the money and the size will allow you too smoke a few different blends.

Now for tobacco. Screw aromatics until you have more experience
. I would get a tin of Capstan Blue Flake and a tin of Escudo. The Capstan is straight Virginia with some nice sweetness and the Escudo is a Virginia/Perique that has some sweet and spice. Both are readily available. You will need to read up on how to prepare flakes and coins. There are a few ways for both and you will eventually figure out what works best for you.

You really need patience, you need to learn how to pack a pipe, what is a false light then the true light. You will need to sip slowly don't go looking for clouds of smoke, there is no flavor in the clouds. Go to Youtube, and ask loads of questions here,that is what we do here. We were all newbies at one time. Good luck.
I've definitely plunged into the deep end while trying to remain patient. I'm experimenting with flakes and coins and working on slowing my sip. I've also added a Winslow to my SmokingPipes wishlist on your advice?

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Reginald

Lurker
Apr 3, 2020
Florida
You have the Meerschaum and the Savinelli, so you have a rotation and can let the briar pipe rest. No problem. If you want to have a third, rather than shelling out for another briar, you might get a Missouri Meerschaum cob pipe, and I recommend spending a little more and getting one readymade with an acrylic stem which lasts better than the regular ones. You can take your time on buying pipes, and learn about them before buying any more. Buy tobacco in small quantities -- an ounce bulk, a tin, a pouch -- in different genres. I wouldn't buy more at a time of any brand. Your tastes will change, even if you find one you think you really like. Welcome.
I'm taking advantage of a couple Missouri Meerschaums to give the briars a rest. Great advice about taking my time buying pipes & tobacco. I had to learn a little of that lesson the hard way. I am now realizing how quickly my knowledge is growing (thanks to lurking here) and my taste in changing.

THANKS!

stokesdale

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale
I responded to a post just a bit ago called Created my Sampler where I suggested some excellent straight blends you’ll surely enjoy, go see that post

indoeuro

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2019
Central Texas
Welcome!

Easy to find and very flavorful, look for Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic and Half & Half. Great smokes, inexpensive, and readily available.

Status
Not open for further replies.