Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Welcome from Minneapolis, MN. I spent a couple years in Suffolk, many years ago.

As far as pipes go, I'm partial to billiards, 11/16" - 3/4" diameter bowl, 1.5" deep. Inexpensive pipes aren't necessarily poor performers... A $100 pipe can perform just as well as a pipe costing much more.

While I have several Churchwardens, I don't find them all that practical, and don't smoke them much. They are nice when the mood strikes me.

If there is a local tobacconist you can find, they can help you out in selecting a good pipe to get started with. Otherwise a local pipe club.

Good luck!

Reactions: MidlandsPiper

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Hello all,

I’m a new member from England. I have been, very lightly, smoking a pipe for about 2/3 years now and have fond memories of my father and grandfather smoking them from childhood. I very much like Green Condor and some Gwaith and Hogarth blends.

I haven’t yet purchased my first ‘proper’ pipe and am still using an Amazon cheapy for the time being. (Suggestions on what to look for in a first pipe welcome! Bowl shape etc, I have my eye on a rather nice Savinelli churchwarden).
I’ve got lots of questions, looking forward to learning from the community!
Are you sure you't won't find it cumbersome to wield a foot of stem just to puff your pipe?

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
Welcome from Virginia.
@birdnerd75 I bet you get a lot of good traditional Virginia tobacco in your part of the world!
The re-enactor playing William Cavendish at Bolsover Castle said he was smoking a Virginia blend in his antique silver tobacco pipe and one of the English Civil War re-enactors I met was smoking Mellow Virginia in his clay pipe.
I've had the Samuel Gawith Full Virginia Flake and Mac Baren Virginia No. 1 in my clay pipes but my favourite pipe tobacco is Gawith Hoggarth Cherry ? Vanilla. I had a memorable smoke of Cherry ? Vanilla in my clay pipe when I went to see Lace Wars at Cromford Mill in 2019; I'm going there again in June for the Georgian Weekend and will be wearing my redcoat uniform and smoke a clay pipe!

timelord

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
Welcome from an Irishman who was brought up in England, escaped or possibly transported (*) to Australia who has now moved continents again (hopefully for the last time) to South America - São Paulo in Brazil to narrow it down to one of the largest cities on the planet :sher:

(*) my boss at the time definately said - in a company meeting - "we transporting Andy to Australia..." - when he announced I was opening a new office in Sydney.

Reactions: MidlandsPiper
Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
Welcome from an Irishman who was brought up in England, escaped or possibly transported (*) to Australia who has now moved continents again (hopefully for the last time) to South America - São Paulo in Brazil to narrow it down to one of the largest cities on the planet :sher:

(*) my boss at the time definately said - in a company meeting - "we transporting Andy to Australia..." - when he announced I was opening a new office in Sydney.
Welcome to the forums and greetings from the Netherlands Time Lord Victorious .

Status
Not open for further replies.