Greetings All and Sundry from the Pacific NW!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

marlinspike

Can't Leave
Feb 19, 2020
The PNW
Downtown and the Pearl, there's Rich's. East side has 82nd Ave Tobacco. Both have a good selection of tins and bulk and Rich's carries quite a few pipes too, including Castello.

Other shops in the area with small selections are Cascade Cigar, Paul's and Tim's.
Oh yes, I've been to Rich's and 82nd Avenue before. That's still an hour-and-a-half drive, one way, for me.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Hello from Austin, Texas.

I spent two years in Portland before moving here. Every August, when it hits 110 here, I remember it fondly....

1583645953088.png

Reactions: marlinspike

marlinspike

Can't Leave
Feb 19, 2020
The PNW
@jaytex969 , I lived in Texas for some years before landing in the PNW, and I have a lot of fond memories of Austin. I don't miss those Texas summers, that's for sure! Although the long slogs of gray weather here can be a trifle grim, at times.

Reactions: jaytex1969

marlinspike

Can't Leave
Feb 19, 2020
The PNW
We could work out an arrangement where we both stay at your place all summer and mine all winter!

:col:?

View attachment 21787
We don't want to miss this area's best time of year - spring! Spring is mighty fine piping weather here...gentle breezes, low humidity, clear skies with dramatic cloud formations blowing in from the coast, and beautiful sunsets.

Feb 21, 2020
Well howdy and welcome. I live in Poulsbo, WA. there is a great pipe and tobacco shop here in downtown Poulsbo called the Cargo Hold. Maybe check it out after all the craziness settles down. Cheers...

marlinspike

Can't Leave
Feb 19, 2020
The PNW
Well howdy and welcome. I live in Poulsbo, WA. there is a great pipe and tobacco shop here in downtown Poulsbo called the Cargo Hold. Maybe check it out after all the craziness settles down. Cheers...
I've been to Poulsbo, but didn't know about the Cargo Hold! It's a very pleasant town - I'll have to check out their shop sometime. Thanks for the tip!

marlinspike

Can't Leave
Feb 19, 2020
The PNW
Welcome from Tucson! I grew up in Portland and still consider the PacNW to be the "promised land". Lovely country full of lovely people.
The PNW is beautiful, and is a really great country to ramble in - hiking up the Cascades or through the Coastal Range and looking down into those green valleys or down at the coast is something of a spiritual experience.

musicman

Lifer
Nov 12, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
The PNW is beautiful, and is a really great country to ramble in - hiking up the Cascades or through the Coastal Range and looking down into those green valleys or down at the coast is something of a spiritual experience.
Absolutely. I'm not sure if I believe in God (even though I work for the church), but if God does exist, his presence is most clearly felt in music and in nature. I've told my loved ones that when I leave this world, half of my ashes should be spread in the Columbia River Gorge, where I began hiking as a young boy. Even though the trails there are crazy crowded compared to a few years ago, it's hard not to feel a great sense of awe and wonder when one experiences the vibrant green foliage and mighty trees of the PacNW rainforest.

marlinspike

Can't Leave
Feb 19, 2020
The PNW
Absolutely. I'm not sure if I believe in God (even though I work for the church), but if God does exist, his presence is most clearly felt in music and in nature. I've told my loved ones that when I leave this world, half of my ashes should be spread in the Columbia River Gorge, where I began hiking as a young boy. Even though the trails there are crazy crowded compared to a few years ago, it's hard not to feel a great sense of awe and wonder when one experiences the vibrant green foliage and mighty trees of the PacNW rainforest.
Have you ever been through the Valley of the Giants, near Siletz? It's a humbling thought, to wander through that area, and think that many thousands of acres of Oregon and Washington were once covered as thickly with trees as large at that.

musicman

Lifer
Nov 12, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
Have you ever been through the Valley of the Giants, near Siletz? It's a humbling thought, to wander through that area, and think that many thousands of acres of Oregon and Washington were once covered as thickly with trees as large at that.
I haven't! Growing up, my coast range experiences were a little north of there (Wilson river area), but that's one of the great things about the state. Such variety, and many lesser known spots that are just amazing. A couple of years back, I flew in for the total eclipse, and my parents and I drove out to the Painted Hills to watch it. I was blown away with how beautiful the John Day River area is, and so different from the Oregon most people think of.

marlinspike

Can't Leave
Feb 19, 2020
The PNW
I haven't! Growing up, my coast range experiences were a little north of there (Wilson river area), but that's one of the great things about the state. Such variety, and many lesser known spots that are just amazing. A couple of years back, I flew in for the total eclipse, and my parents and I drove out to the Painted Hills to watch it. I was blown away with how beautiful the John Day River area is, and so different from the Oregon most people think of.
Yep - get away from the western part of the state, and it begins to look more like the semi-arid Southwest than anything most people think of when they consider Oregon.

Status
Not open for further replies.