PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
This has absolutely nothing to do with pipes but.... I've mentioned before that I've found some pipe related items at garage sales, but this non pipe score was really amazing. Last Saturday I went to a community garage sale and as I always do, I was there early... before the sun came up. I believe in the early bird theory. Anyway, I stopped at this one sale and while looking around and putting a couple of items aside to buy, something caught my eye. Now, I don't usually look at jewelry but this watch looked exceptional. There on the table was a gorgeous Tissot (pronounced "T-so" for the uneducated among us). It was a stainless chronograph and like new. No price tag so I asked the lady what she wanted for it. To my surprise she burst into tears and told me how it had been her dear uncle's who had recently passed. I offered my condolences and said he had great taste in watches. Then, to my great surprise again, she said that I had been nice and to make it a legal sale and not a gift, I could have it for ONE dollar. Now. usually when someone offers something too cheap, I keep my mouth shut and simply fork over the cash. But in this case I felt bad for her so I told her it was worth a lot more than that. She insisted so the deal was made. So for the last couple of days my trusty old Omega Seamaster has been sitting on a shelf and I've been wearing the Tissot. Not only did a get a great watch at a bargain price, I also got a great story to bore ever one with. Click the link below if you want to see it. puffy

Last edited:

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Old ladies like this are the best. Not because of the deals that they give you (which are obviously nice) but because they're such earnest and endearing people. What a lovely watch. I'm sure the Seamaster won't sit too long on the shelf, though.

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
Old ladies like this are the best. Not because of the deals that they give you (which are obviously nice) but because they're such earnest and endearing people. What a lovely watch. I'm sure the Seamaster won't sit too long on the shelf, though.
Actually, she wasn't an old lady. I would say about 35. Also, she was living in, what I would guess, was a million dollar town home and I don't think the money was important to her.

I have a theory about garage sales. What I look for are sales where they have good stuff plus an attitude of "I just want to get rid of it". Hence, I went to this sale in an upper class neighborhood and I found what I always look for... something great and an owner who just wants it gone. puffy

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It's a moving story, but I hope that kindly woman has enough sense to conduct her finances on through life. She could have walked into any jewelry store and gotten ... well, quite a bit for the watch.. Anyway, I'm glad she found someone who could appreciate it and take care of it, and not some person who had no idea.

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
It is amazing what someone will do when they are selling things.
You're right! That's why I do garage sales. You simply never know what you might find. It's like going on a treasure hunt, looking for the unexpected great item and getting it at bargain price. More than once I've remarked to my wife that I would like to find some item and she says "You'll never find that at a garage sale." And, more than once she has had to eat those words. At my age that's about the only treasure hunting I can do. There was a time when I prospected for gold in Alaska and hunted for ship wreck treasure on Florida beeches. Alas, those days are gone. puffy

Reactions: kcghost

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
I love, garage, estate and my favorite “divorce” sales!
Me too! I once asked a woman how much she wanted for a nice oriental rug (modern made, about 9x13' and like new) I figured cost about 7 or 8 hundred dollars retail. She looked at it and said "My soon to be ex-husband really likes that rug, give me $10 for it." It now lays on the floor of our music room.... puffy

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Me too! I once asked a woman how much she wanted for a nice oriental rug (modern made, about 9x13' and like new) I figured cost about 7 or 8 hundred dollars retail. She looked at it and said "My soon to be ex-husband really likes that rug, give me $10 for it." It now lays on the floor of our music room.... puffy
That’s a tad kinder than the soon-to-be ex-wife who “donated” her husband’s collection of Bordeaux throughout the neighbourhood and cut up his Saville Row suits
Ouch 😱

skeeter456

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 28, 2017
Plattsburgh NY
Yahtzee!!

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
Epilogue: I kept trying and looking at the Tissot on my wrist. No matter how much I wanted it, the watch was simply too large for me so I decided to sell it. I mentioned it to a couple of friends but they didn't need it. My wife forbid me to tell our 3 sons about it because if more than one wanted it there might be problems.... This worked for me, because they would expect it for free or little of nothing.... screw that! I want to make a profit and besides all 3 have a higher income than we do. So, two nights ago I posted it on Craigslist. I was amazed how fast the emails started coming in and this afternoon the watch left here and I had $200 in my pocket. Damn, I love garage sales! puffy

Sam Gamgee

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 24, 2022
DFW, Texas
I used to go to lots of garage sales and found many cool deals over the years. I was pretty heavy into book selling once upon a time and made a nice pile getting books at garage sales and reselling on Amazon. The best deal I ever happened upon was a guy that reviewed books for a living. He sold me (super cheap) a huge pile of new books that weren't even on the market yet. I was able to list them on their release dates and made out like a bandit. The only downside to garage sales is the time it takes to really do it right.