PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
I used to go to lots of garage sales and found many cool deals over the years. I was pretty heavy into book selling once upon a time and made a nice pile getting books at garage sales and reselling on Amazon. The best deal I ever happened upon was a guy that reviewed books for a living. He sold me (super cheap) a huge pile of new books that weren't even on the market yet. I was able to list them on their release dates and made out like a bandit. The only downside to garage sales is the time it takes to really do it right.
There have been several lists posted on the web of the most difficult things to sell at a garage sale, CDs, DVD, Xmas items and books, among others. I can see how someone who knows what he's doing could make out buying books for resale. A tip of the hat to you for that! I myself have only bought a few books, usually for one of the grandkids. One thing I've always wanted to find was a collection of "Big Little Books". I had some as a kid and always thought they were cool. Don't particularly want to read them, just put them on a shelf to remind me of the good old days.

I'm beginning to wonder if we need a garage sale thread?! puffy

Sam Gamgee

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 24, 2022
DFW, Texas
There have been several lists posted on the web of the most difficult things to sell at a garage sale, CDs, DVD, Xmas items and books, among others. I can see how someone who knows what he's doing could make out buying books for resale. A tip of the hat to you for that! I myself have only bought a few books, usually for one of the grandkids. One thing I've always wanted to find was a collection of "Big Little Books". I had some as a kid and always thought they were cool. Don't particularly want to read them, just put them on a shelf to remind me of the good old days.

I'm beginning to wonder if we need a garage sale thread?! puffy
I made thousands of dollars in extra cash each year for several years selling books. Another thing I did (trade secret here!) is post a listing on Craig’s List (et al) asking for free books that people no longer wanted. People gave me thousands of books for free just to get them out of their house. I’d sell them on amazon and make extra money. The ones that didn’t sell I’d sell as a lot on Craig’s List for cheap, but it was all profit for me. It took a bit of leg-work but I needed the money.

Reactions: Searock Fan

Model 29

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 23, 2021
pennsylvania
Garage sales in my area have 40 year old electric drills,chipped wood chisels ,and those are the good things. The majority have used baby clothes

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
This Saturday was a garage sale wash out due to weather. But, last Saturday we were out hunting and found a few little piddly things and one pretty cool item. There was this on a table...

JVC_GZ_MG630AE_GZ_MG630_Everio_60GB_Hard_627490.jpg
JVC GZ-MG630 Everio 60GB Hard Drive 'PAL' Camcorder

LIke new and it included all the accessories, manual, and a nice carrying case for every thing. The owner demoed it to show me it worked. No price tag so I first asked why he was selling it and he said they used their phones now and didn't need it. "You can have it for $5.". I'm not into shooting video so it now is setting in my closet waiting til the next time we have a garage sale. Wonder if I can get more than $5. for it? puffy

Reactions: pipenschmoeker123