PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Don't do any heavy-handed reaming, or any reaming at all. A beginner can do a world of damage with a reamer. Whatever you do, be conservative. Don't over buff or deface the stamping (printing) on the pipes. I'd maintain the finishes for authenticity sake. Those pipes will last you a lifetime.

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
My apologies, I misread. Here's a closer look at that one, I think it's my favorite of the bunch.

View attachment 99312

Here's the back. It says: "Lorenzo Elba Imperia Italy"View attachment 99317
I have a Lorenzo Elba just like this I got off of Etsy. It was my 2nd briar pipe. Yours looks nicer as mine came with a bit of rim damage from excessive flame that sort of "smoothed down" a little bit of it. I really love the pipe but find it challenging to get the "right" blend that it loves. I've tried several blends and the closest I've come so far to finding its mate is Reiner red label, but that could change. I don't know the # on my pipe but could look when I'm at home. I almost got a 2nd one off of Ebay but the price went too high and I passed. How is yours working for you? Did you find a style or blend that it loves? It's got quite a wide but rather shallow bowl....

Reactions: Briar Lee

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
It’s been awhile since the original post was made, but I’d bet anything those four large pipes were the only ones that wouldn’t fit in that large pipe rack, without modification.

Those aren’t cheap pipes. They likely were birthday and Christmas gifts.

Somewhere, once upon a time in Grandma’s basement or attic, there were lots more of Grandpa’s pipes. They may still be there.

Grandpa likely didn’t buy that 12 hole walnut pipe rack and then modify the front six holes to fit only four large pipes. He even had two individual pipe stands. That man was a devoted pipe smoker.

There may be dozens more, someplace.

Happy hunting!

Reactions: kcghost