PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

goalltheway

Lurker
Jul 29, 2021
So my Dad recently discovered that I smoke pipes and told me that somewhere in my grandmother's basement was a collection of my grandfather's old pipes. I couldn't find them, but we met for my birthday and he found them for me. Best birthday present I could ask for. Looking for advice on how to revive these guys beyond just a simple deep cleaning with alcohol. Any suggestions?

PXL_20210925_013554536.MP.jpg

goalltheway

Lurker
Jul 29, 2021
I have no advice but am interested to hear about the pipe with the yellow stem. That one looks very modern and seems to have little pipes carved into the rustication. Very interesting looking.
Here's a closer look. I cleaned it up a bit as well. I honestly don't know anything about these other than they were my grandfather's. My dad is not a smoker of any sort and I don't think these pipes have been smoked since I was born.

PXL_20210925_031348206.MP.jpg

tobefrank

Lifer
Jun 22, 2015
Australia
Here's a closer look. I cleaned it up a bit as well. I honestly don't know anything about these other than they were my grandfather's. My dad is not a smoker of any sort and I don't think these pipes have been smoked since I was born.

View attachment 99307
I meant the black rusticated pipe with the yellow stem in the top middle of your original photo.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
If you're interested in doing the cleaning yourself, a great starting point is Steve Laug's Rebornpipes blogs.
Step-by-step instructions with lots of hints and before and after photos. That's how I started
Seeing there are only a few pipes, your best bet would be to send them to someone. You'd get a "professional" finish for not much cost. By the time you factor in buying stuff to do the job, it'd probably end up casting you more.

goalltheway

Lurker
Jul 29, 2021
Thanks all for the suggestions! I cleaned them with alcohol and I do think they might be good to go for the most part. One of the briars may need a new stem as it looks pretty rough, but everything else is looking quite a bit better now that the dust and cobwebs are gone. I did find a pipe restorer up in northern GA that I may give a call if I decide they need more work. Think I'm gonna give the black and yellow one a spin tonight!