PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

MRW

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 6, 2022
Fort Worth Texas
Good evening folks! MomentoMori here, but you can call me Dan :)

Thought I'd finally join and introduce myself after lurking and reading for a year or so now! I'm a pretty new pipe smoker, having originally bought a pipe and a pack of St Bruno (which I honestly quite liked) out of curiosity stemming from the fact I'd already smoked, and sometimes enjoyed, cigars since I turned 18. I have, however, hit an early obstacle (which I've since realised is quite common from reading here) in my pipe smoking journey...aromatics just don't seem to do much for me. As I said, my first introduction to pipe smoking was when I was 18 and, armed with £5 cob pipes from the internet and a pack of supermarket bought St Bruno Ready Rubbed, me and my friend embarked on our first Pipe Smoking adventure. It was 'okay' for lack of a better word. It tasted a little sweet, with a slight hint of vinegar and raisins and, about halfway through, a tad ashy and acrid (but I put that down to having zero concept of cadence, packing and lighting). The room note was nice enough though.

And so I endeavoured to sample more Aromatics. I'd heard good things about Peterson, they certainly make nice pipes I thought, so I bought a tin each of Conoisseurs Choice, Sweet Killarney and Nutty Cut. They all smelled divine but, like St Bruno, only tasted 'okay', with a hint of ash and bitterness. I've tried to learn to avoid tongue bite but with aromatics, I guess it just keeps occuring no matter what I do. And so I've finally decided to delve into the world of Englishes, opting for a small of Squadron Leader and Skiff Mixture from Samuel Gawith. I've also bought samples of Sutliff Barbados Plantation and Molto Dolce, just to see if they do anything differently for me than the Peterson Aromatics I've tried. But if after trying these I still don't get anything out of it, I am at a loss. I certainly like the taste of tobacco, I enjoy cigars, so that isn't the issue I don't think. But what I've smoked so far all feels kind of 'samey'. I get a bit of the flavouring of Connoisseurs Choice and Killarney from the retrohale, but I am yet to even begin to taste anything like what others are claiming to taste in them.

All in all, I'd really appreciate any advice or recommendations on where to go and what to try from here. The Samuel Gawith stuff arrives tomorrow and I'm eager to try it in a new Peterson System pipe that I've bought along with it. I'll report back tomorrow :) It'll be good to get to know the Pipe Smoking community better too!
Hello and welcome to the Forum from Deep in the Heart of Texas. You will find this site to be informative and the members insightful (and at times, most entertaining). Enjoy your stay!

Reactions: MomentoMori