Good Evening from the United Kingdom!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Good evening folks! MomentoMori here, but you can call me Dan :)

Thought I'd finally join and introduce myself after lurking and reading for a year or so now! I'm a pretty new pipe smoker, having originally bought a pipe and a pack of St Bruno (which I honestly quite liked) out of curiosity stemming from the fact I'd already smoked, and sometimes enjoyed, cigars since I turned 18. I have, however, hit an early obstacle (which I've since realised is quite common from reading here) in my pipe smoking journey...aromatics just don't seem to do much for me. As I said, my first introduction to pipe smoking was when I was 18 and, armed with £5 cob pipes from the internet and a pack of supermarket bought St Bruno Ready Rubbed, me and my friend embarked on our first Pipe Smoking adventure. It was 'okay' for lack of a better word. It tasted a little sweet, with a slight hint of vinegar and raisins and, about halfway through, a tad ashy and acrid (but I put that down to having zero concept of cadence, packing and lighting). The room note was nice enough though.

And so I endeavoured to sample more Aromatics. I'd heard good things about Peterson, they certainly make nice pipes I thought, so I bought a tin each of Conoisseurs Choice, Sweet Killarney and Nutty Cut. They all smelled divine but, like St Bruno, only tasted 'okay', with a hint of ash and bitterness. I've tried to learn to avoid tongue bite but with aromatics, I guess it just keeps occuring no matter what I do. And so I've finally decided to delve into the world of Englishes, opting for a small of Squadron Leader and Skiff Mixture from Samuel Gawith. I've also bought samples of Sutliff Barbados Plantation and Molto Dolce, just to see if they do anything differently for me than the Peterson Aromatics I've tried. But if after trying these I still don't get anything out of it, I am at a loss. I certainly like the taste of tobacco, I enjoy cigars, so that isn't the issue I don't think. But what I've smoked so far all feels kind of 'samey'. I get a bit of the flavouring of Connoisseurs Choice and Killarney from the retrohale, but I am yet to even begin to taste anything like what others are claiming to taste in them.

All in all, I'd really appreciate any advice or recommendations on where to go and what to try from here. The Samuel Gawith stuff arrives tomorrow and I'm eager to try it in a new Peterson System pipe that I've bought along with it. I'll report back tomorrow :) It'll be good to get to know the Pipe Smoking community better too!

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Hi Dan,

Welcome from Sydney, Oz
I got back to pipes a few years back after smoking cigars exclusively for 15 years

My re-introduction blends were Peterson's Connoisseuer's Choice and Erinmore which I somewhat enjoyed back then
The eye-opener were a some samples of English (Latakia) and Balkan (Oriental) blends given to me by a friend - Sam Gawith's Skiff Mixture was one of them.
After that I smoked little other than English and Balkan blends for a long while.
Latakia and Orientals are strongly flavoured and you don't have to work hard at extracting flavours

For a long while I "did not get" Virginias and Vapers.
They seemed too much like smoking cigarettes
Now that I have improved my cadence, packing and tamping, I find myself smoking and enjoying these more and more.

And I have rediscovered a liking for aromatics.

A few hints - sorry to be repetitious, if you already know all this
# Dry, Dry, Dry your tobacco
# Pack lightly eg gravity fill
# Tamp lightly
# Smoke slow and gentle.
The best flavour comes when the tobacco is burning at a lower temperature. For me the worst flavours is right after lighting up and at relights.
And I always dump the dottle.

WerewolfOfLondon

Can't Leave
Jun 8, 2023
London
Hello and welcome from London. Always difficult to know what to recommend in such situations. I had the same experience as you. I came to smoking pipes from smoking fags, so my palate was much less refined than yours when I first began. I did though, find the same problem with aromatics, in that they all tasted the same, sweet and caramel like. Which is nice enough, but limited. As you did, I went from there to English blends. I think I may have experienced that as more of a leap than you seem to have. You say you have some Samuel Gawith arriving tomorrow. That's probably about the best tobacco made in these isles, that alongside Germains. You haven't mentioned which particular blends are arriving, hopefully nothing aromatic, and something virginia based. Their Full Virginia Flake, for me, is the best tobacco we have, and it was the one that made virginias click for me. But perservere, it is unlikely to happen right away. Good luck.

Hello and welcome from London. Always difficult to know what to recommend in such situations. I had the same experience as you. I came to smoking pipes from smoking fags, so my palate was much less refined than yours when I first began. I did though, find the same problem with aromatics, in that they all tasted the same, sweet and caramel like. Which is nice enough, but limited. As you did, I went from there to English blends. I think I may have experienced that as more of a leap than you seem to have. You say you have some Samuel Gawith arriving tomorrow. That's probably about the best tobacco made in these isles, that alongside Germains. You haven't mentioned which particular blends are arriving, hopefully nothing aromatic, and something virginia based. Their Full Virginia Flake, for me, is the best tobacco we have, and it was the one that made virginias click for me. But perservere, it is unlikely to happen right away. Good luck.
Thank you! I've ordered Squadron Leader and Skiff Mixture! Hoping to get something a little more complex and unique out of them than what I have with Aromatics! I agree with what you said, Aromatics for me smell nice and taste generally sweet and a little fruity on the retrohale, but like not much else! I've actually never heard of Germains? Are there any particulars from them you'd recommend? Thank you!

Hi Dan,

Welcome from Sydney, Oz
I got back to pipes a few years back after smoking cigars exclusively for 15 years

My re-introduction blends were Peterson's Connoisseuer's Choice and Erinmore which I somewhat enjoyed back then
The eye-opener were a some samples of English (Latakia) and Balkan (Oriental) blends given to me by a friend - Sam Gawith's Skiff Mixture was one of them.
After that I smoked little other than English and Balkan blends for a long while.
Latakia and Orientals are strongly flavoured and you don't have to work hard at extracting flavours

For a long while I "did not get" Virginias and Vapers.
They seemed too much like smoking cigarettes
Now that I have improved my cadence, packing and tamping, I find myself smoking and enjoying these more and more.

And I have rediscovered a liking for aromatics.

A few hints - sorry to be repetitious, if you already know all this
# Dry, Dry, Dry your tobacco
# Pack lightly eg gravity fill
# Tamp lightly
# Smoke slow and gentle.
The best flavour comes when the tobacco is burning at a lower temperature. For me the worst flavours is right after lighting up and at relights.
And I always dump the dottle.
Thank you! Yes I'm finding for me that aromatics only really taste of anything (vaguely sweet and fruity, at least the ones I've tried) on the retrohale but just like ashy cigarettes on the tongue. Now that you've mentioned it, I am perhaps packing and tamping a little too heavily, I will try to pack the stuff I get tomorrow a lot more lightly! Thank you for your tips!

Reactions: OzPiper

WerewolfOfLondon

Can't Leave
Jun 8, 2023
London
Thank you! I've ordered Squadron Leader and Skiff Mixture! Hoping to get something a little more complex and unique out of them than what I have with Aromatics! I agree with what you said, Aromatics for me smell nice and taste generally sweet and a little fruity on the retrohale, but like not much else! I've actually never heard of Germains? Are there any particulars from them you'd recommend? Thank you!
Apologies, I should have paid more attention, you did say that is what you'd ordered. Germains are based in Jersey. But for now my advice would be just focus your attention on the Samuel Gawith, and Gawith Hoggarth blends. Germains can be difficult to get hold of, as there is a large demand for them in the Asian markets. Right at this minute, our tobacconists are well stocked with them, but that could change over night. See how you go with the English blends you have arriving, find out your preferred type of tobacco, then go chasing after the Germians blends you know you're likely to enjoy.

Apologies, I should have paid more attention, you did say that is what you'd ordered. Germains are based in Jersey. But for now my advice would be just focus your attention on the Samuel Gawith, and Gawith Hoggarth blends. Germains can be difficult to get hold of, as there is a large demand for them in the Asian markets. Right at this minute, our tobacconists are well stocked with them, but that could change over night. See how you go with the English blends you have arriving, find out your preferred type of tobacco, then go chasing after the Germians blends you know you're likely to enjoy.
No need to apologise! I'll see what I think of the two I get tomorrow and report back! Thank you!

Reactions: WerewolfOfLondon
You should definitely try Gawith Ennerdale Flake the first chance you get. Just buy a sample though as it's a Marmite tobacco. If you like cigars then Samuel Gawith Brown No. 4 Twist should be right up your alley.
Oooooh I'm intrigued by the Ennerdale Flake! Might have to order some of that! I've just read up on the No. 4 twist and it certainly looks strong, but I do like cigars quite alot so if it's anything similar I should quite enjoy it! I'll defintely keep it on my radar! Thank you!

Reactions: smudgersmissingleg

Durhamshire

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 31, 2024
UK
Good evening folks! MomentoMori here, but you can call me Dan :)

Thought I'd finally join and introduce myself after lurking and reading for a year or so now! I'm a pretty new pipe smoker, having originally bought a pipe and a pack of St Bruno (which I honestly quite liked) out of curiosity stemming from the fact I'd already smoked, and sometimes enjoyed, cigars since I turned 18. I have, however, hit an early obstacle (which I've since realised is quite common from reading here) in my pipe smoking journey...aromatics just don't seem to do much for me. As I said, my first introduction to pipe smoking was when I was 18 and, armed with £5 cob pipes from the internet and a pack of supermarket bought St Bruno Ready Rubbed, me and my friend embarked on our first Pipe Smoking adventure. It was 'okay' for lack of a better word. It tasted a little sweet, with a slight hint of vinegar and raisins and, about halfway through, a tad ashy and acrid (but I put that down to having zero concept of cadence, packing and lighting). The room note was nice enough though.

And so I endeavoured to sample more Aromatics. I'd heard good things about Peterson, they certainly make nice pipes I thought, so I bought a tin each of Conoisseurs Choice, Sweet Killarney and Nutty Cut. They all smelled divine but, like St Bruno, only tasted 'okay', with a hint of ash and bitterness. I've tried to learn to avoid tongue bite but with aromatics, I guess it just keeps occuring no matter what I do. And so I've finally decided to delve into the world of Englishes, opting for a small of Squadron Leader and Skiff Mixture from Samuel Gawith. I've also bought samples of Sutliff Barbados Plantation and Molto Dolce, just to see if they do anything differently for me than the Peterson Aromatics I've tried. But if after trying these I still don't get anything out of it, I am at a loss. I certainly like the taste of tobacco, I enjoy cigars, so that isn't the issue I don't think. But what I've smoked so far all feels kind of 'samey'. I get a bit of the flavouring of Connoisseurs Choice and Killarney from the retrohale, but I am yet to even begin to taste anything like what others are claiming to taste in them.

All in all, I'd really appreciate any advice or recommendations on where to go and what to try from here. The Samuel Gawith stuff arrives tomorrow and I'm eager to try it in a new Peterson System pipe that I've bought along with it. I'll report back tomorrow :) It'll be good to get to know the Pipe Smoking community better too!
Hi Marra. I'm in Tyne & Wear. If You ever need help or advice just ask. Forgot to say Hi. I am new to the Forum. First tried a pipe in 1984. Cheers G

Reactions: MomentoMori

gubbyduffer

Can't Leave
May 25, 2021
Peebles, Scottish Borders
Welcome from the Scottish Borders. I won't be too quick to advise blends as its so personal. Try loads amd fet more of what you like. Plenty of folk talk about tongue bite. It seems to be the crux which hangs over a lot of people's enjoyment. I have never suffered it, however, have always smoked with a filter. Perhaps try that if tongue bite is a problem.

Reactions: MomentoMori