PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

wallbright

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 22, 2010
I bought two more lots of 7 each. They were the ones we were talking about before Bubba. These are my last purchases of the year as my girlfriend is about to use my pipes as tinder haha. A link to the first lt can be found here.

wallbright

Aug 22, 2010
Sorry for the two posts I'm on my phone and couldn't do both at the same time. Second lot is here.

bubbadreier

Lifer
Jul 30, 2010
Norman, Oklahoma
The links are not working but I saw all of those lots and they looked really good! The one lot I was going for went for more than I was willing to pay so I let it go :-( but I am looking for a different lot to watch now ;-)

wallbright

Aug 22, 2010
Well I received my Savinelli and one of my other ebay lots today in the mail.
The lot contained a Schoenleber, Bullseye, and one that just says "made in england". It also came with a humidor jar and a 4 pipe rack.
First off the Schoenleber stem wont go down all the way into the shank. I first thought that it was the wrong stem; however, I did research and concluded it is the right stem. I then thought that there could be a band missing or something but all of the pipes I was able to find online by them had no band. I suppose I will see after cleaning if it will fit and if not I will have to figure something out.
IMG_0124.jpg

IMG_0123.jpg

IMG_0122.jpg

IMG_0125.jpg

The next pipe is the Bullseye. It has a cracked shank and it has been repaired very well though. The bowl also seems very dirty and I will have my work cut out for me it seems.
IMG_0130.jpg

IMG_0132.jpg

IMG_0133.jpg

IMG_0135.jpg

The third and final pipe from the lot is one with no other markings on it other than "Made In London England". It is a sitter and a very large and sturdy pipe. However, the bowl seems to have small cracks in it at the bottom. (Should I still do the alcohol treatment and cotton balls on this one? Or just rub down with pipe cleaners and alcohol? I don't want to damage the briar anymore than it already is and I hope that I can build a cake since they are very small cracks.)
IMG_0128.jpg

IMG_0129.jpg

IMG_0127.jpg

IMG_0147.jpg

IMG_0148.jpg

Here are some pictures of the humi/rack that came with the lot.
IMG_0151.jpg

IMG_0150.jpg

Last, I received my Savinelli Venezia 677KS in the mail today. It has a carbon lined bowl which the 626 did not have. I don't know why this is. There are also some fills in the briar but that is expected from a $48 pipe. Overall, I really like the way this pipe looks and feels.
IMG_0138.jpg

IMG_0139.jpg

IMG_0141.jpg

wallbright

Aug 22, 2010
Heh, do I really have to answer that? 25 :/
I thought that I could clean up and sell the ones I didn't want. Now I am realizing that some aren't in shape to sell. I suppose I will sell one of my humi/racks with the reject pipes on ebay to make up some lost dough if I really feel the need. But for now I am keeping each one and working hard on restoring them. I am still very new to restoring.
I had a question though for you, when you use the cotton balls and put them in the bowl, how light or hard do you put them in? I tried one where I just barely put it down in and then another where I jammed it down and topped it off with another one. I am just wondering which you think is the best approach. Also, is it safe to do this with the one with the small cracks? Or will the alcohol soak into it and make it crack even more?
And you should pick up a Savinelli Venezia. They are fairly cheap and very good looking. If you can put up with the putty filled blemishes and cosmetic issues then you will enjoy this pipe alot. To me it is about how it smokes, not how it looks. For this reason I am excited to try my Dr. Grabow Grand Duke. I just restored it but I realized that it didn't need restoring since it only had the carbon lining and not a carbon cake and seems to have not been smoked before. I restored it anyways just to be sanitary though.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Welcome to the world of pipe collecting! You probably will do what several of my friends and I have done. Sort of forget to sell off the culls! LOL!! Actually I am getting a huge lot ready for fleabay here.

wallbright

Aug 22, 2010
How do I do that bubbadreier? It doesn't say I have any new under messages.

bubbadreier

Lifer
Jul 30, 2010
Norman, Oklahoma
Click the forums tab and look at the right side of the page and you should see the Private messages showing that you have 2 messages (I sent it twice) and if it doesn't show that you have any just click anyway....

excav8tor

Can't Leave
Aug 28, 2010
South Devon, England
That humidor in the initial post looks really good. The US seems to produce the most and best humidors, which is a bit sad for me living in the UK. I have seen nice humidors for sale in the US, however, the shipping cost makes it prohibitive. Oh well, I just got to keep looking.

bronxbriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 23, 2010
New York
Hi pipe friends!
I see alot of talk about cleaning up old or not well cared for pipes. Would anyone be kind enough to share a link with me about how that cleaning is done. I'd like to see if I could do some "restoring" myself.
Great pics in this thread btw.
Regards

Doug (BronxBriar)

wallbright

Aug 22, 2010
Hey Doug if you do a search in the forums for restoration it should bring up some other articles. Here is a link to one of the threads though that has external links to some good sites with detailed instructions. Just read all the way through the thread to see what people say about the processes though as some people disagree with the way some articles explain doing things. Hope this helps. Link is here.

Status
Not open for further replies.