PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

wallbright

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 22, 2010
I was wondering if anyone had any links to websites/blogs/forum postings with detailed directions on how to restore old pipes. I recently purchased 6 pipes off ebay that I was wanting to restore and I have no idea where to begin. You could even post how-to's here if you feel so led. Thank you.

kcvet67

Jul 6, 2010
I would be VERY careful about following the advice in the first link.
Do you really want to soak your bits in bleach for hours and then check to see "if the mouthpiece is rapidly dissolving"?
I've restored quite a few pipes and I've NEVER soaked a bit in bleach. I will concede that there might be times when it's the only thing that will work, but I would do it only as a last resort.

wallbright

Aug 22, 2010
Thanks for the info guys! I really appreciate it. The pipes are in transit and I should receive them tomorrow or Wednesday. I am wondering though, is it possible to use rubbing alcohol instead of liquor? Or should I use liquor (151 rum or everclear) to be safe?

kcvet67

Jul 6, 2010
I've never had a problem using rubbing alcohol, but many people prefer to use something potable.

bubbadreier

Lifer
Jul 30, 2010
Norman, Oklahoma
I use rubbing alcohol but I can see where the people, that don't think you should use it ,are coming from.
kcvet67, yeah I didn't read that all the way through I guess... I do use bleach when using a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser doesn't do the job. I just soak the bit for about 10 minutes and then give it a shine using a finger nail buffer/shiner.

bubbadreier

Lifer
Jul 30, 2010
Norman, Oklahoma
They say it is poisonous and they also say that you shouldn't put anything in your pipe that you don't like the smell of.
I say that it evaporates anyway and I like the smell of it, haha!

surfmac211

Oct 28, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
I have used bleach on almost everyone of my refurbished pipe stems with no ill effects. Afterwards I take some sand paper to it then to my buffing wheel. Makes them look new. Just have to be careful.

wallbright

Aug 22, 2010
I just don't want to spend alot of money in restoring these pipes since they are cheap pipes anwyays. I will probably restore the humi/rack and then keep a pipe or two and sell the rest. I also have a Royal Coachman coming that might not need restoring (seller said they cleaned and everything, though you never know)so I also don't want to not do a good job. I suppose though that all the ingredients are pretty cheap I just don't want to buy more than I need.

bubbadreier

Lifer
Jul 30, 2010
Norman, Oklahoma
This is what I use and the cost (rounded up)...
91% alcohol = $3.00

Q-tips (750) = $3.00

Bleach = $3.00

Pipe Cleaners = $1.50

Magic Erasers = $2.00

Cotton balls = $1.50

Nail Buff/Shine = $2.00

Total = $16.00
This has treated about 15 pipes and the only thing I have had to buy more if is the pipe cleaners, but I buy a ton of those already!

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Wall,

That's the second time you have mentioned a "Royal Coachman".

Do you have a picture?

My first pipe was (and still is) a "Royal Coachman".
I'm showing you mine:
My1st-1.jpg

Now show me yours.

:)
I know, I know, I need to work on the stem.

wallbright

Aug 22, 2010
Haha nice! If you look in my new post in the pipe talk section more pictures are listed there. I also included pictures of my other ebay buys this week. Here is a picture though.
Comoy1.jpg

wallbright

Aug 22, 2010
Do you know what it is worth? I am trying to see if I got a deal. I paid $19 shipped.

wallbright

Aug 22, 2010
Haha you know every time I bid now I think about what if I'm in a bidding war with one of you guys. Then I wait till the last 4 seconds laugh to myself and pull the trigger. Just kidding. I actually do worry about that sometimes and hope that it doesn't happen. Why didn't you bid on it?

bubbadreier

Lifer
Jul 30, 2010
Norman, Oklahoma
I sometime think the same thing, and what if the other person could have gotten it so much cheaper or you could have gotten it so much cheaper if only we knew not to bid and let the other person win... oh well!
I didn't bid on lots of pipes I thought about bidding on, currently I am bidding on a few different pipes and I am winning 5 of them so I am holding off until these auctions are over.... =O my wife is going to kill me if I win all of them (it would be about $300)!

Status
Not open for further replies.