Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Sep 20, 2022
Your admin sucks balls
I have found certain tobaccos smoke well in certain pipes I have pipes I only smoke Balkan/English and others that only work for Virginias and yet others for Burley based and one that I only smoke (rarely) aromatics. I think most pipes are good smokers and many smokers only try out one type of blend thats their favorite and if it doesnt please its not a good smoker. Its easy to make that assumption I did and came back to a pipe later and it worked great for something else.

Mar 1, 2014
There seems to be some disagreement about whether some pipes smoke better than others. I hear some people say such-and-such pipe is a "good smoker" as opposed to others which may tend to gurgle, whistle, or have a restricted draw, etc. On the other hand, some other members have assured me, comparing pipes is like comparing drinking straws. They all do essentially the same thing, which is deliver smoke to the mouth, and the factors which determine whether or not you get a "good smoke", are related more to tobacco moisture, smoking cadence, relative humidity, atmospheric pressure, etc. etc. So, which side do you fall on? Are there "good smokers" and "bad smokers" in the world of pipes, and what factors determine which pipes fall on one or the other side of divide?
If all pipes had an airway as even and smooth as a drinking straw then that analogy would be correct, but pipes drilled with such precision are the exception rather than the rule.
So then you have to ask: "What is the penalty for pipe with only average drilling?"

An airway that is rough or crooked will cause turbulence and deposit more water in the stem, and of course that would be exacerbated by a tight airway that can only hold a small amount of water before it gurgles.
However, regardless of any perceived benefits of improved drilling the fact is millions of pipesmokers have been satisfied with less.
It's not a stretch to imagine the majority honestly not caring about the quality of drilling.

What gets really contentious is "Briar Quality".
My personal position is I try to ignore those discussions because it's basically impossible to prove one way or the other so as far as I'm concerned the perfect tobacco pipe may as well be made of inorganic material (I really wish I had been around when "The Pipe" was being manufactured with pyrolytic graphite bowls).

Last edited:

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
Doesn't that exclude most of the ones on the market?
Yes, I'm afraid you might be right. The way I see it is, those guys in Turkey who make the meers are basically "carvers", not pipe makers. I suspect most of them don't know the details of what makes a good pipe. They concentrate on making a good looking bowl and the stem is just an after thought.

Usually the stem is some kind of plastic or whatever you want to call it, and that's ok. By it's nature it's inert and doesn't affect the quality of the smoke. The problem is a lot of them are poorly shaped and the draft hole is too small making for a hard draw and a wet smoke. I've drilled out quite a few and it made a difference. Also, I've noticed many meers where the draft hole does not hit the bottom of the bowl at the right spot. Some times this can be corrected by drilling out the bowl a little deeper. But if the draft hole hits too high you just have to live with it. If you can it's best to always check these things before buying a meer. puffy

For me, I don't have time for a pipe that whistles, or seems to always gurgle, or adds a weird taste. When a pipe get culled because it whistles, it will have to be whether full of tobacco or not no matter how hard I draw.
When it gets culled for gurgling, it will have to when it still gurgles when the tobacco is very dry and my cadence is slow but at an enjoyable cadence. If a pipe get culled for adding an odd flavor, I give that pipe at least 12 tries. If it doesn't taste good at that point, nix.

Some will look at the drilling and deem a pipe terrible, some will check whether it passes a pipecleaner and then nix it, but ultimately for me, drilling or pipecleaner test be damned... it depends on whether I enjoy smoking it.

I have also nixed pipes for just being oddly balanced or the button on the bit just doesn't feel right to me, I have over 100 pipes and still adding pipes, so a smoker that doesn't give me a completely enjoyable experience gets tossed into a drawer.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
There seems to be some disagreement about whether some pipes smoke better than others. I hear some people say such-and-such pipe is a "good smoker" as opposed to others which may tend to gurgle, whistle, or have a restricted draw, etc. On the other hand, some other members have assured me, comparing pipes is like comparing drinking straws. They all do essentially the same thing, which is deliver smoke to the mouth, and the factors which determine whether or not you get a "good smoke", are related more to tobacco moisture, smoking cadence, relative humidity, atmospheric pressure, etc. etc. So, which side do you fall on? Are there "good smokers" and "bad smokers" in the world of pipes, and what factors determine which pipes fall on one or the other side of divide?
It's 25% equipment, 75% technique.

Sure there are good smokers and bad smokers, but very, very few bad smokers. Most pipes smoke about the same, regardless of price. One of my favorite exchanges on the topic happened with a well known collector who was also a Doctor Of Pipes, who said that his Bo Nordhs smoked about as well as his Grabows. For more money you get a more comfortable bit, prettier wood, more interesting shaping, more handwork and a dash of mythological bullshit. These may or may not matter to the individual smoker.

There are experienced expert pipe smokers and inexperienced, novice, and/or occasionally witlessly stupid pipe smokers.

Pipe smoking is simple. Figure out a few things, practice a bit, and it works. Rocket science or brain surgery it isn't.

Some blends do better in larger chambers, others in medium and smaller chambers. It can be useful to have a little variety in terms of chamber sizes and shapes

Smokers like to come up with generally meaningless theories and practices as well as invent all manner of myths. This appears to be especially common with beginning pipe smokers. Perhaps this helps keep things interesting.

Develop sufficient technique and most pipes will offer good service. Lack sufficient technique and no pipe will save you regardless of cost.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
It's 25% equipment, 75% technique.

Sure there are good smokers and bad smokers, but very, very few bad smokers. Most pipes smoke about the same, regardless of price. One of my favorite exchanges on the topic happened with a well known collector who was also a Doctor Of Pipes, who said that his Bo Nordhs smoked about as well as his Grabows. For more money you get a more comfortable bit, prettier wood, more interesting shaping, more handwork and a dash of mythological bullshit. These may or may not matter to the individual smoker.

There are experienced expert pipe smokers and inexperienced, novice, and/or occasionally witlessly stupid pipe smokers.

Pipe smoking is simple. Figure out a few things, practice a bit, and it works. Rocket science or brain surgery it isn't.

Some blends do better in larger chambers, others in medium and smaller chambers. It can be useful to have a little variety in terms of chamber sizes and shapes

Smokers like to come up with generally meaningless theories and practices as well as invent all manner of myths. This appears to be especially common with beginning pipe smokers. Perhaps this helps keep things interesting.

Develop sufficient technique and most pipes will offer good service. Lack sufficient technique and no pipe will save you regardless of cost.
Jesse, I will respectfully disagree that it is 25% equipment and 75% technique. I have owned my share of artisan and factory pipes and since my technique has been pretty solid for a long time, there have been many a pipe that didn't make the cut. I am not talking about 100.00 Savinelli's, but 500.00 Winslows, 1000.00 Formers, 500.00 plus Castello's, brand new 600.00 Dunhills, I could go on for a while but you get my idea. Some guys just know how to make a great pipe almost every time and that makes the quality of the smoke I get superior to just plain good pipes. Yes I can make a shitty pipe smoke as well as it can, but it is still sorely lacking and not an enjoyable smoking experience.

I began collecting American artisan pipes after I got my first Rad Davis in 2012. Shortly after I sold my last Former as it did not smoke as good as the few American artisan pipes I had picked up. I began moving out all my factory pipes like Castello, Viprati, older Caminetto's, Upshalls,Ferndowns,Don Carlos and many others. My collection(38 artisan pipes) now is small in comparison to the 90 I had before the major culling and everyone is a fantastic smoker that are superior to all the pipes I moved out.

This last culling had pipes from fairly good names I moved out Aldens, a Bruce Weaver, 8 Ruthenbergs, a Scott Thile(I still have one of Scott's as it was superior to my other one) and I even moved out a few Rad Davis pipes that were not as good as the ones I kept. I moved out 2 Trever Talbert pipes. There were more but that is enough.
I replenished only 13 pipes and they were all commissions from Jack Howell . The smoking properties come first and looks come second. I would still be buying Jack's pipes if he were still carving.

I am still in the market for quality pipes and when I find them I will add them to my collection, but if I never find one I am very happy with what I have.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Jesse, I will respectfully disagree that it is 25% equipment and 75% technique. I have owned my share of artisan and factory pipes and since my technique has been pretty solid for a long time, there have been many a pipe that didn't make the cut. I am not talking about 100.00 Savinelli's, but 500.00 Winslows, 1000.00 Formers, 500.00 plus Castello's, brand new 600.00 Dunhills, I could go on for a while but you get my idea. Some guys just know how to make a great pipe almost every time and that makes the quality of the smoke I get superior to just plain good pipes. Yes I can make a shitty pipe smoke as well as it can, but it is still sorely lacking and not an enjoyable smoking experience.

I began collecting American artisan pipes after I got my first Rad Davis in 2012. Shortly after I sold my last Former as it did not smoke as good as the few American artisan pipes I had picked up. I began moving out all my factory pipes like Castello, Viprati, older Caminetto's, Upshalls,Ferndowns,Don Carlos and many others. My collection(38 artisan pipes) now is small in comparison to the 90 I had before the major culling and everyone is a fantastic smoker that are superior to all the pipes I moved out.

This last culling had pipes from fairly good names I moved out Aldens, a Bruce Weaver, 8 Ruthenbergs, a Scott Thile(I still have one of Scott's as it was superior to my other one) and I even moved out a few Rad Davis pipes that were not as good as the ones I kept. I moved out 2 Trever Talbert pipes. There were more but that is enough.
I replenished only 13 pipes and they were all commissions from Jack Howell . The smoking properties come first and looks come second. I would still be buying Jack's pipes if he were still carving.

I am still in the market for quality pipes and when I find them I will add them to my collection, but if I never find one I am very happy with what I have.
Hi Harris,

If you had had the sense to go for good makers instead of expensive famous makers you could have avoided all of this angst. And did you?

Instead you focused on losers like Dunhill, and Former. Who would buy from someone named Former? Former what? A former pipe maker? Why not a current pipe maker. If you're going to invest in has beens, what do you expect? Everyone knows that Scandinavian pipes are a racket, like New York City real estate or the two party system. You're better off buying a The Pipe.

Nobody who's knowledgeable about Britwood buys Dunhill. They buy Barling, Comoy, Sasieni, BBB, GBD, Loewe, people who knew how to make a pipe and who were making fine smoking implements when Alfred was still busily soiling his nappies. But you choose Dunhill because it's famous and expensive and are now whining about it. Well, boo hoo for you.

Jack Howell knows how to make a pipe, but evidently he's no longer making them, which is a shame, and probably your fault. You probably asked him to make you a Dunhill copy and that was the straw that broke the camel's back. At least you finally landed with someone good, though you drove him out of the business, so there's hope for you.

Still, most pipes smoke about the same, so your unfortunate collecting decisions didn't do too much damage, and it's really about knowing how to handle your tobacco. Give it a few more decades and it will all become clear, even with your unfortunate choices of pipes and tobaccos.

I have faith in you!

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
Wow! These last few posts on this thread make some statements I find astounding. In the interest of not pissing off any members I think I'll reframe from commenting.... puffy

Reactions: Winnipeger

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
jesse, too freaking funny. Yes you are right I did ask Jack to make me a copy of my 1966 Dunhill LB. That was early on and he made me probably 8 or 9 more pipes so I didn't ruin him. I didn't realize that was not a good thing to do. I love that shaped Billiard so sue me. lol

If someone offered to sell you Formers at half the cost, not retail but half dead cost you would have bought them also. If I owned a box of Cubans for 200.00 I marked it up to 400.00. The guy selling me Formers sold at dead cost so an 800.00 Former he would price at 400.00 and I traded him the Cubans. I did that with 2 brand new Dunhills, a couple of Balleby's, and some others. You should know me better than to pay stupid prices like Formers and Dunhills. The pipes didn't smoke like they should have for those prices so I learned early on it isn't all price.

This was back around 2000 or so and I kept them for some years and then sold all but one Former through coopersark and I made way more than I paid as I owned them so cheap. I finally sold the last Former after my third or 4th Rad pipes.

Back to 75-25, I can't put a number on it. I have smoked average pipes and got rid of them quickly. I wouldn't waste my time on just average pipes, I only wanted great pipes and that takes some time and knowing exactly what constitutes a great pipe for my tastes.

Reactions: sablebrush52
Wow! These last few posts on this thread make some statements I find astounding. In the interest of not pissing off any members I think I'll reframe from commenting.... puffy
Not Paying Attention GIFs | Tenor

Reactions: sablebrush52
For me there are objective and subjective considerations. In the end a pipe must provide a decent smoking experience. Everything from the feel, eye appeal, draw, comfort in the clench and so forth come together to provide such. If a pipe doesn't provide a satisfying smoke, in the bin it goes. It should go without saying that a few bowls are necessary to determine if a pipes stays or ends up in the landfill. I have no interest in supporting someone elses vice so no swapping, trading or gifting.
EXACTLY what Warren said ^^

Sep 20, 2022
Your admin sucks balls
Hi Harris,

If you had had the sense to go for good makers instead of expensive famous makers you could have avoided all of this angst. And did you?

Instead you focused on losers like Dunhill, and Former. Who would buy from someone named Former? Former what? A former pipe maker? Why not a current pipe maker. If you're going to invest in has beens, what do you expect? Everyone knows that Scandinavian pipes are a racket, like New York City real estate or the two party system. You're better off buying a The Pipe.

Nobody who's knowledgeable about Britwood buys Dunhill. They buy Barling, Comoy, Sasieni, BBB, GBD, Loewe, people who knew how to make a pipe and who were making fine smoking implements when Alfred was still busily soiling his nappies. But you choose Dunhill because it's famous and expensive and are now whining about it. Well, boo hoo for you.

Jack Howell knows how to make a pipe, but evidently he's no longer making them, which is a shame, and probably your fault. You probably asked him to make you a Dunhill copy and that was the straw that broke the camel's back. At least you finally landed with someone good, though you drove him out of the business, so there's hope for you.

Still, most pipes smoke about the same, so your unfortunate collecting decisions didn't do too much damage, and it's really about knowing how to handle your tobacco. Give it a few more decades and it will all become clear, even with your unfortunate choices of pipes and tobaccos.

I have faith in you!
Why dont you leave the trolling out of the forum that is uncalled for, just because someone likes something different than you you berate them. Go somewhere else if you cant be civil to others and get some help.