Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
pig-milk-hero1.jpg

loneredtree

Part of the Furniture Now
May 27, 2011
Sierra Foothills
It is an interesting show. I am bothered by one detail. Each program starts with several images. One shows a bug leaving from a Over and Under shotgun. I do not believe that they were made at the time period of this story. Any contrary comments?

derekflint

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 23, 2017
I'm up to episode 3....I find that in any series the first episode is not that good because they have to lay out too much framework. This is getting better as it goes along..........

laurenci51

Lurker
Dec 21, 2018
Hey! That’s a pretty good rating. I can watch this with my husband. Now days, my husband and I are watching show by Andy Yeatman with our kids. Soon they are going to start with school and then we will have time for watching such shows and movies online.

Jan 8, 2013
Well since this thread was suddenly revived a year later, it gives me a reason to watch the show again. Thanks laurenci51! Welcome to the forum, by the way. :D

autumnfog

Lifer
Jul 22, 2018
Sweden
Something I really enjoy is reading reviews.

Books, movies, tv series, restaurants, tobaccos - reviews about anything really.
Especially if they are written well and from a subjective viewpoint like this.

Got curious about the show and will check it out.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I agree with most of what Anthony said in the original review. And I'll add that I think it's made as a tribute to other series. A stylized version of a western with some twists and a lot of hints and nods, especially to Lonesome Dove. Which I thought was allright since I've always loved Lonesome Dove.

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
I see this thread was started a year ago but I may have to check this out. Netflix has some great series that suck me in from time to time. Another great western series I binged on was Hell on Wheels. The story is based on a post Civil War Confederate soldier and the construction of the Transcontinental Railroad. Pretty rough movie, so if you have kids you might want to make sure they're not around. There are 5 seasons I believe, so there's enough there to get sucked in.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
I'm up to episode 3....I find that in any series the first episode is not that good because they have to lay out too much framework. This is getting better as it goes along..........
I would tend to agree with you, but the first episode of Game of Thrones was fantastic, in my opinion. It did the same thing, didn't go into everything in the first episode either and left viewers hooked and begging for the next week's episode. At least it had me gripped from the start. To this very day, I've never missed an episode on the night it airs.
I've been seeing ads for this show and been meaning to watch it. Might have time soon to sit down with some coffee and a pipe and just binge it like I did Deadwood again recently.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Not sure how I missed this thread a year ago. My wife and I both enjoyed it thoroughly and gave it a "would watch again" rating.
"No one has an opinion on "tits up"?
This is an important matter!"
John, I give it a thumbs-up. The typical usage for this phrase at my workplace would be, "This tractor is tits up in the gutter. Drag it out of the way; we'll fix it later."

Jan 8, 2013
Might have time soon to sit down with some coffee and a pipe and just binge it like I did Deadwood again recently.
It's perfect for a good binge watch, as it's only a mini-series. It's great if you're all caught up on other shows you watch regularly and need something to fill the space until the next show hits. Deadwood was fantastic as well. I hear they're supposed to be bringing that back in one fashion or another.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
And Ms. Dockery being in it was a plus. Good old Lady Mary!!

One of the best shows ever. Looking forward to the movie next September.
As for Godless...loved it!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
An historical footnote, that the Wild West, the cowboy era, lasted for a very short time. There were early influences of explorers, trail blazers, and hunters. Then there was a long afterglow of cowboy and Wild West influences. But the actual hay day of cattle runs, before the network of railroads, was maybe fifty years, seventy at the most ... pretty short however you count it, considering the residual influence and how pickup drivers today mostly fancy themselves cowboys at heart. Big hats and dreams of open range.

Status
Not open for further replies.