PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 8, 2013
I love westerns and this one was fantastic. I just finished the last episode of this 7 episode limited series and I was blown away. And I almost didn't watch it. On the trailer I watched, it seemed like it was being toted as being about a town full only of women and I assumed the show was going to be a bunch of feminist mumbo jumbo hidden under the paint of a western. But really it's not the case at all. It seems not all the men are gone, but most of them are as it's a mining town and a terrible mining accident took the lives of the men (most of the men in town) who worked it. Most of the women being widowed, they are forced to try and continue life in the town of La Belle and struggle with trying to keep the town alive and prospering. Aside from a bit of a love story concerning two of the women in town, there's not really much else to make me think there was a hidden agenda of any sort concerning feminism or lesbianism, or anything along those lines other than the fact the women of La Belle are forced to become stronger women in a world dominated by men. So if all that mumbo jumbo isn't your thing, I wouldn't worry too much. It's not my thing either. I don't judge, but I don't care to see it or hear about it everywhere I go or see it in every show I watch. For those characters that were like that, I didn't mind so much because I absolutely fell in love with their characters regardless.
Now all that being said.... All of that is really just a small part of the story. The main focus of the story was actually about an orphaned child who after being raised by an outlaw, who fancies himself a preacher of sorts, grows up and turns against the outlaw band after they commit a terrible act. The outlaw preacher and his gang want revenge on the turncoat who goes into hiding on a ranch outside of town after being wounded. Now that's just setting the story up.... I could go on and on and still not get into the meat and potatoes of this western. I decided to watch the first episode just out of curiosity thinking I'd be rolling my eyes throughout it all, but was pleasantly surprised by a pretty rich and complex story that kept me coming back. And now I wish it hadn't ended! At times touching on racism, and inclusiveness, it was artfully done in a way that helped the story as opposed to making it feel like it was being pushed as so many shows do these days. And at times being dark, sad, and sometimes even a bit funny, and with some great action and fantastic scenery, I think many fans of the western genre and even those who are not would find this a show definitely worth watching.
There are at least a couple scenes showing pipe smoking, but I was so engrossed with the rest of the show that I couldn't tell you where to look for it unless I watched it again. With most episodes being well over an hour long (a couple were shorter) there's plenty of time to load up your favorite pipe for a nice long smoke during an episode.
Being pleasantly surprised by this, but wishing the series had been a few episodes longer to further build on some of the other characters and to build more on the stories of the main characters, I'm giving this one 4 out of 5 puffies.
:puffy: :puffy: :puffy: :puffy:

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
Sounds good Anthony. Thanks for the review. I'll look into it right after I finish the last couple episodes of the revived Mystery Science Theater 3000. :puffy:

Jan 8, 2013
An old room mate and I used to watch MST3K, Mayfair. Good times. That show always had me rolling. Haven't watched any of the new ones yet, though.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
The new MST3K's started a little weak, but got better quickly. The writing is solid. Patton Oswalt, Felicia Day, and some great cameos like Jerry Seinfeld. The regular host is Jonah Ray and while I'm not his biggest fan, I have to give him credit for doing a really good job. One thing that hasn't changed at all is the movies they riff on are truly horrendous. :P

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I watched this too, as I'm a fan of many of the actors and westerns.

This one is over the top violent, a parody of violence and guns with some humor, some thought provoking scenarios, lots of gore, love, hate, pride, obsession, horses! The last episode reminded me of the police car chase in Blues Brothers.
I think, Anthony, that you might like the tv series version of The Transporter. Martial arts and amazing automobiles.

bluesmoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 21, 2013
I've watched the first two episodes. I love westerns, and this one has lots of interesting characters. Frank Griffin is a bit reminiscent of Judge Holden in Cormac McCarty's Blood Meridian, although not as deep , and not as cold-blooded. An unusual role for Jeff Daniels, put he pulls it off convincingly. I'm taking my time with the series instead of binging, maybe because the episodes are so long.

thomasw

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 5, 2016
Watched the first episode last night ... love a good Western; the first episode has my interest peaked.

seagullplayer

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 30, 2014
Indiana
My wife has been talking about this. She liked the trailer, we will give it a go.
On a side note the new Marvel Punisher series is the best one so far.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
I have seen it on my netflix suggestions for a while now, but avoided it as I didn't think much of it. Now that anthony has recommended it I watched the first episode last night ... above and beyond what I thought it would be. It's a bit on the violent side, but I guess it's a more accurate rendition of what life in the west could have been. It's pretty accurate as far as costumes and setting, the actors are pretty good - although it is hard to imagine that life was that harsh back then. I mean that Roy character, fainted three times trying to get up the following morning after being shot, and cauterized with gun powder. The Griffin character ... well I always thought outlaws are content with stealing their prize and get out asap, before the law catches unto them. These guys, they resemble more a horde of invading Mongols, than a band of decent outlaws. So, in that sense I think it is a bit stretched, but after all I have only watched the first episode.

grimpuffer

Can't Leave
Aug 29, 2016
I happened upon this show the day it came out.
Having had surgery 3 weeks ago I was up late in pain and decided to give it a try.
The wife woke up and started watching it with me while she tried to go back to bed. Next thing we know it’s 3:30 am and we were hooked.
It starts off slow but is well worth the wait. It’s a great story and has great acting in it.
Very nice show to watch while smoking a pipe as well.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Couldn't agree more, Anthony.
I found the series eye opening touching on themes never addressed in the John Wayne horse operas of my youth: Lesbianism in the Old West, Mormon extremists and the financial inroads of prostitution.
Helluva one and done series. Great writing. Beautiful scenery filmed on location in New Mexico. Solid, solid, solid performances from some truly gifted actors. Like Bluesmoke, I was impressed with Jeff Daniels playing so well against type. But, with all due respect, I thought his role might've been based on the "Blood Meridian" character of Judge Holden. Daniel's Frank Griffen was a stone killer.
Fnord

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
fnord you are absolutely right, John Wayne pictures always had a romantic touch to them, even bar fights over there seemed spectacular and not as bad as they truly were. I watched a few more episodes, and like I said, this seems to be the closest thing I have seen to what I imagine it would have really been in the wild west. I think it is better than Dead Wood by a long shot.

Jan 8, 2013
I'm contemplating watching it a second time once I finish up the final season of Longmire. I think it's worth a second watch. :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.