PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I’ve got huge respect for @hoosierpipeguy ’s palate (mainly because we agree 95% of the time) but I disagree here. I look at Savinelli Doblone D’Oro as an absolute classic that will be an instant unicorn if/when it goes away. I’ve been building my stock of it since I first tried it almost 5 years ago. For me it’s a medium plus strength VaPer with a DFK presence that goes right up to the line of too much- but doesn’t cross it. Triple Play‘s VAs lack any natural sweetness, I suspect are augmented by generic (and rough) burleys, the perique is weak (the leaf itself, not the quantity of it), and the DFK is overkill. If/when Triple Play goes away, I think it will be forgotten.
WE HAVE A WINNER

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I don't know if my jar that I was storing Doblone in had a bad seal or if the tobacco dried out too much... it didn't feel too dry, but I am struggling to figure out why I loved it so much initially, only to lose my affection for it. Kind of strange, because it has all the elements if something I would normally like a lot.
personally I find it the most inconsistent blend I have ever smoked. Sometimes it's mind blowingly good and other times it's blah nasty. And the thing is that can be in the same bowl. Yeah and sometimes in the middle of smoke it just goes flat before coming back. More often really good but.... Seriously nothing else I have smoked has ever been like that.

musicman

Lifer
Nov 12, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
Doblone is a very tasty smoke, but I find I have to be very careful about it burning hot or else it gets flavorless and bitey. In fact, I'm having a bowl of it right now and as long as I keep sipping it tastes just like that fabulous tin note, but the moment I puff looking for more of that flavor it gets too hot and and all I get is bitey and bitter DFK. Probably a body chemistry thing as I react well to most other VaPer blends.

Based on the other comments on this thread, looks like it's time for me to pick up some Triple Play. If @hoosierpipeguy likes it then I probably will too.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I just want to know what the f a Gogurt tube is....lol
it's this crappy yogurt that comes in a tube and is made for a small Childs palate it is also very popular with college athletes who are basically from my experience pretty much well conditioned children who are polite and better educated but otherwise pretty much the same thing. (professionally I clean up after both)

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
Triple Play is a thick meaty smoke whereas d' Oro I find a bit fruitier/sweeter and not as strong in the vitamin N category. Each has its merits; Triple Play/Jack knife plug are in my regular rotation and d' Oro is a once in a while change of pace.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Beyond anything else, this thread has given me enough enthusiasm to load a bowl of TP from my 2013 stock. As I’m rubbing out the plug slices I get such rich leather, port and almost stewed rhubarb notes. Man I hope my youngest falls asleep on the way to church so I can loiter in the car park with this

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
The label on my tin of D’oblone says Kenyan.
Yeah DFK is Dark Fired Kenyan, right? Haha, no the DFK I was referring to when describing my sensitivity was the DFK in the GLP triple play, as part of the reason I prefer the Doblone, but I didn’t realize the DF in doblone was african either so that lends even more credence to why I prefer it as it is both african and used with a light hand.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.