PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Like... you just asked us to compare a C&D product to something.

without smoking the C&D product I can tell you the answer.
Shut up you idiot. Everyone knows you hate CD blindly on principle. Your opine on CD/GLP blends is worth about as much as a Prussian Franc is at the Kwik Stop.

Call me a liar and I’ll challenge you to a duel. Your choice of weapon: Ping Pong Paddles, Live Crawfish, or 3 foot long Gogurt tubes.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I don't think they're very similar at all. I prefer Triple Play. I find the perique in TP a light condiment with the RedVa and DFK dominant. I find Doblone d’Oro more your standard VaPer where the perique is mostly pepper spice, I hardly notice any DFK. It's good but not as rich, full and sweet as TP to my palate.
I’ll admit that I am biased in this regard, as my palate is highly sensitive to DFK. I find it wonderful in condimental amounts, but beyond that, unless it’s african, I find it overly harsh and acrid.

tfdickson

Lifer
May 15, 2014
East End of Long Island
I’ve got huge respect for @hoosierpipeguy ’s palate (mainly because we agree 95% of the time) but I disagree here. I look at Savinelli Doblone D’Oro as an absolute classic that will be an instant unicorn if/when it goes away. I’ve been building my stock of it since I first tried it almost 5 years ago. For me it’s a medium plus strength VaPer with a DFK presence that goes right up to the line of too much- but doesn’t cross it. Triple Play‘s VAs lack any natural sweetness, I suspect are augmented by generic (and rough) burleys, the perique is weak (the leaf itself, not the quantity of it), and the DFK is overkill. If/when Triple Play goes away, I think it will be forgotten.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I’ve got huge respect for @hoosierpipeguy ’s palate (mainly because we agree 95% of the time) but I disagree here. I look at Savinelli Doblone D’Oro as an absolute classic that will be an instant unicorn if/when it goes away. I’ve been building my stock of it since I first tried it almost 5 years ago. For me it’s a medium plus strength VaPer with a DFK presence that goes right up to the line of too much- but doesn’t cross it. Triple Play‘s VAs lack any natural sweetness, I suspect are augmented by generic (and rough) burleys, the perique is weak (the leaf itself, not the quantity of it), and the DFK is overkill. If/when Triple Play goes away, I think it will be forgotten.

And to think, I used to like you. LOL i think it is the prominent Red Va note that wins the day for TP with me. Perhaps I need to pop a tin of Doblone d’Oro to refresh my memory.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I prefer Triple Play as well. I really liked my tin of D d' O when n I first got it, but I don't know if my palate changed or what, but I have since found it to be pretty ho hum.

Triple Play is fuller in body and strength, though D d' O isn't a slouch in those departments. I think Triple Play has more perique. Your opinion on Triple Play will largely depend on what you think of C&D's VAs and their general approach to blending. Since I appreciate both if those things, I am a fan.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
I’m in the Triple Play camp... I happen to really like Jack Knife too...

As far as VaPer blends go, there are dozens of them all with a little twist here and there.

My favorite VaPer is one that I blend myself. I let it marry for about 6 months after I blend it.

While Doblone D’Oro isn’t bad, I wouldn’t choose it over Triple Play. But that’s just me.

Status
Not open for further replies.