PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Tins can sit around with me for a long time. If aging helps, they should come out singing once opened. Haddo's Delight is a quiet delight indeed, extra mild and though the Perique is there (I'm a true believer) it certainly is a quiet participant. This after GLP Westminster seemed to lose most of its Latakia after a few weeks. Luckily I'm in a phase of accepting and to some degree savoring extra mild blends. And after drying out overnight, I admit, this has more detectable flavor. But after a long wait, and some expectations, this blend requires some getting to know. I'm smoking it in a broad bowled Sav pot 122, so I doubt I'd go to a smaller pipe with a narrower chamber. If there are any ardent fans of Haddo's, I'd be glad to hear it extolled. It might alert my taste buds where to seek the splendors of this blend. I like it somewhat, but can't recommend it ... yet. If there's an enlightenment on my part, I'll post again. Maybe my expectations were too high.

pipebaum81

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 23, 2014
Thanks for the insightful mini-review. I hope to one day grow up one day and have even half the pipe smoker IQ that you have.
j/B

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Nice review and thanks for sharing. I used to love Haddo’s Delight but these days it’s tastes “flat” and boring to me. I remember it being a very bold, flavorful blend with a mild top dressing (some kind of spirit, maybe?) but my last tin was just meh. It’s more than likely the change occurred from within myself rather than it having anything to do with the blend.

mityahicks

Nov 18, 2018
I just popped 2017 triple play and holy moly does it set the bar high with pease. I hope to try everything Pease has to offer. Gaslight is already a top 3 for me but I loved the first few bowls of triple play.
It is a great American and readily available answer to the natural tobacco offerings of Gawith and semois.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Triple Play is excellent. It seems to me to have a bold decisive flavor. I'll keep working on Haddo's and see if I can "get" it. Generally, I like rum in blends, Queen Anne's Revenge, but moreso, Black Frigate. Haddo's seems like a person has seems to have good ideas but talks so softly, you're really not sure.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I had some about a year ago and did a review HERE.
After rereading it, I need to dig some out....
jay-roger.jpg

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Haddo's is one of my favorite blends, and one of the very few for which I will shell out extra $$$ for a vintage tin. I like it best with some years on it, as fresh it does tend to be a little harsh for me to smoke. The years mellow it out quite nicely and the topping, which reminds me of a plum wine, adds an interesting twist to the profile.

There's a lot going on in this blend and I appreciate that it is not run of the mill in any way.

josephcross

Dec 30, 2015
The flavour is the thing I like most about this blend, but its also the thing I dislike about it. I find the initial third of the bowl tasty, anyone but after about halfway through I just kinda wish it would go away. I want to like it more than I do, and maybe one day I will, but for now my stash ages.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I have nothing nice or informative to add regarding this obnoxious suntan oil drenched decayed whale nose coating of a blend.
So I'll remain silent.

northernpipeshed

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 26, 2017
"Haddo's seems like a person has seems to have good ideas but talks so softly, you're really not sure."
Excellent...love that
I have a 3 year old tin in the cellar......but I'm leaving it for another 6 or 7 years.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'll keep working on this tin, letting it dry out some, and see what happens. I'll hope to encounter the pleasing complexity and not the whale nose coating.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I thought the Perique was going to be all over me, with the burley right there as well. Maybe I'll get tuned in.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
Agree w/Ashdigger here.
I lit a bowl of Haddo's once.
Then put it down, and had a good long think about the diversity in humanity. Then I scooped out the "tobacco" and threw it away.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Haddo's Delight is getting better for me, smoked from the tin. It's dried out a little, and the flavor has unfolded more. I'm picking up a little Perique twang, and the Virginia is kicking in better. It may not be a permanent item in my rotation, but I won't have trouble finishing the tin. It's blended with some restraint, but now I'd put it in the medium, not the mild category. Boy, the first bowl or two, I was looking for he flavor.

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
That's so odd, MSO - I had almost the exact opposite reaction to it. Initially, the tang of the perique and the topping were almost too much for me (the overpowering alcohol smell was definitely too much). I aired it out for days before it toned down enough for me to enjoy. Once I got a read on it and found its richer, more mellow side, it became a favorite, and I'm now on my third or fourth tin in as many months, with a few more stashed in the basement for the post-anthropocene.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
tru', most interesting. I'd guess we came to different tobacco from different crops, and aged differently. Also, our habits may be different. I'm quite burley centric, so it takes me some time to tune in on Va blends. I'm glad I didn't encounter the alcohol smell. It was mostly rum and something almost floral when I opened the tin. Now the tobacco scent has taken over, which is more appealing. I do think my burley proclivity skews my taste.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Interesting, as I also thought the blend was almost too much at first, with plenty of rough edges. I've only smoked one tin, and I did enjoy it quite a bit, but I can understand why the opinions are all over the map on it. Enjoyed the review!

Status
Not open for further replies.