PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

troyniss

Can't Leave
Jul 8, 2018
Michigan
Presentation: A flake that is well broken up, but still offers some larger pieces to be separated even further. Similar in regards to Union Square as a broken flake but a tad more thin. Rich dark brown and red colored tobacco layered with a few shiny spots of oily and dark perique. I suspect this blend only consists of red Virginia and perique. If there is any bright, it's either applied very lightly or someone accidentally knocked some in.

Palette: Upon first olfactory experience, the tin note is of wholemeal sourdough bread with no butter. An aroma of ripe prune and fig compliment the bread/sour note. It vaguely reminds me of MacBaren Navy Flake, but upon further investigation, my nose is playing tricks on me. Either way, it had a very reminiscent smell of another blend, I just can't put my finger on it. The taste is superb. If I could translate the flavor into a projection, it would be smiles upon smiles. The red Virginia is actually pretty sweet considering it's the the base of the blend, and without any (suspected) brights it retains it's natural taste quite well. Definitely some 'Grade- A' Virginias used in this blend, or they have been aged quite a bit before being added. As with most Va/Pers I've tried, the perique is noticeable upon the first third of the bowl and tapers off, usually mixing in with the Virginia's more elegantly. Not this one. It's present throughout and I love it. The perique is applied heavily, if you consider that most Va/Pers are more tame other than C&D Bayou Morning. Offers a silky mouth feel. Even though the perique is consistent, the black pepper essence is still not dominant to overpower the main ingredient, but it reminds you that it's not going away anytime soon.It's a bold blend and if you don't like strong perique stay away. It has also been noted that Latakia made it's way into the blend too, but I can't find any trace of it.

Performance: Slightly moist out of the tin, once might want to dry it a bit. I have tried both fresh from the tin and dried for 30 minutes, yet both produced the same experience. One false light and one true light and away we went. It maintains its composure until the last embers die out. Can leave a little moisture in the heel but it smoked effortlessly and without any bite whatsoever. The flake format makes it easy to customize your smoking experience. Nice thick clouds of smoke that never dulled and kept going. Only required one more light towards the end of the bowl. Nicotine is a tick past medium. Not an all day smoke but can probably smoke a few in the day for the Va/Per aficionados.

Conclusions: Well, I've finally finished the 'Va/Per Trio' or whatever you wanna call it (Stratford/TH/Fillmore) of Gregs blends. You may be thinking "Why not Haddos Delight, Cumberland or Penny Farthing,etc?" Well, if we are talking strictly about a Virginia and Perique blend, those wouldn't make the cut, as they have some other constituents that would take away from the pure flavor of what a Va/Per truly is. They are Va/Per based, but some have added toppings or leaf. Therefore, if Stratford is the freshly graduated highschool senior going through bootcamp who just got word that tomorrow is the gas chamber experience and (Telegraph) Hill is the more sophisticated Second Lieutenant who passed his exam from West Pointe that decided a mustache was a good look for his newly appointed position, Fillmore is the guy who dropped out of his first semester at the small town community college after his girlfriend broke up with him, joined the Marines, has been on 7 tours in two different wars, received two purple hearts for non life-threatening wounds, has a slightly crooked smile from a broken lower jaw due to a bar fight back in '93 and has killed a handful of men along with a few livestock animals from a grenade that "accidentally" went off. He's now 57 years old as an E-9, has no desire to become an CO and it's not that society doesn't want him, it's that he doesn't want society anymore and knows nothing other than the military life. Unrefined but badass. Not the smartest but wise. Won't pick a fight but will bust a lip just by giving him a wrong glance. Oh yea, I recommend stocking up on this if you know what's good for you, because Master Gunnery Sgt. Fillmore says so.

Last edited:
It has also been noted that Latakia made it's way into the blend too, but I can't find any trace of it.
When Greg used to be a regular here, he told me that it absolutely has latakia, but just a whisper of it. I argued with him, but after a while, I started to realize that the chewy leatherish flavor was from the latakia. Yeh, I argued with the maker, ha ha. I tend to learn things by questioning.

But, now I have a few blends that I have grown that I will add a pinch of powdered latakia to "chewy" it up, because I really like that flavor is very small doses.

troyniss

Can't Leave
Jul 8, 2018
Michigan
When Greg used to be a regular here, he told me that it absolutely has latakia, but just a whisper of it. I argued with him, but after a while, I started to realize that the chewy leatherish flavor was from the latakia. Yeh, I argued with the maker, ha ha. I tend to learn things by questioning.

But, now I have a few blends that I have grown that I will add a pinch of powdered latakia to "chewy" it up, because I really like that flavor is very small doses.
I've only smoked about 1/3 of the tin, and while it definitely doesn't show up in the palette for me, I could suspect that there is an essence of something else. I'm still studying the blend after smoking it everyday for a few weeks. I'll take your word (and Gregs) that it's there, but even if I never come across it while smoking, it's a favorite of mine.

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
Mine was void of Latakia but for one large shriveled clump of a leaf in the bottom of the tin. Interesting recipe idea. Nice review!

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I feel like I might catch the slightest hint of Latakia maybe one or two puffs per whole tin and that's with me knowing it's there and searching for it. You'd have to be an anti-Lat zealout to object to it's presence here, IMO. It's got a pretty solid nicotine punch for a VaPer, too. I find it to be a little pipe-sensitive as well, smoking much better in some of my pipes than others.

I thought that the latakia was more of a powder. I may be totally misunderstanding how it was explained to me. I probably most definitely am mistaken, as usual, but I have never found an actual "flake" of latakia in it.

But, yeh, I would go most of the smoke without tasting it, and then get a note of leather armchair in a room filled with old books occasionally.

Laurel Heights is another favorite, about the same as this one, without the perique.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I thought that the latakia was more of a powder. I may be totally misunderstanding how it was explained to me. I probably most definitely am mistaken, as usual, but I have never found an actual "flake" of latakia in it.

But, yeh, I would go most of the smoke without tasting it, and then get a note of leather armchair in a room filled with old books occasionally.

Laurel Heights is another favorite, about the same as this one, without the perique.
I think making it into a flake would be the only way to make that work otherwise it would just settle to the bottom of a tin. That sounds like it's another G l Pease one I have to try (all the ones I have not tried yet, but I only buy them in the half lbs coffee can things.).

Sonorisis

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 24, 2019
Whatever people "see" in Filmore has eluded me. It's the one tobacco that I just tossed. Wish I would have known you guys at that time, I would have sent it along.

• Sad
Reactions: anotherbob

troyniss

Can't Leave
Jul 8, 2018
Michigan
Whatever people "see" in Filmore has eluded me. It's the one tobacco that I just tossed. Wish I would have known you guys at that time, I would have sent it along.
It's a all too common occurrence in the tobacco world. I have a few blends I'd toss too but can't bring myself to pitching a blend that I've only smoked a few times.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
As mentioned above, Fillmore is a part of a trifecta of popular GLP VaPers, but I consider Embarcadero like a sister blend to Fillmore. I think they came out one after the other and both are Red VA-based, but Embarcadero has Izmir instead of Perique as the secondary leaf. It makes a huge difference in flavor, but both are great, IMO.

troyniss

Can't Leave
Jul 8, 2018
Michigan
As mentioned above, Fillmore is a part of a trifecta of popular GLP VaPers, but I consider Embarcadero like a sister blend to Fillmore. I think they came out one after the other and both are Red VA-based, but Embarcadero has Izmir instead of Perique as the secondary leaf. It makes a huge difference in flavor, but both are great, IMO.
I've got a tin of Embarcadero in my cellar back home. It's been aging for a few years now. Considering my new found love of Oreitnals this will be a treat.

I think the Virginias in all of the Fog City Selections are top notch. In fact, I smoked through them all, and by focusing on finding the Virginia in each of them, I think I came to a better understanding of Virginias as a whole. I highly recommend them to someone interested in exploring how Virginias react in a blend... which is unusual considering that C&D does the blending for him.

Johnny_Pipecleaner

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 13, 2019
Mill Valley, CA
Whatever people "see" in Filmore has eluded me.

I feel this way about Union Square.
I ike it just fine, but it doesn't wow me like I thought it should based on the reputation. My flakes look different compared to photos I've seen, so maybe my tin was just "off". Mine are light in color, whereas the picture on TobaccoReviews shows a red flake.
Or maybe I just don't like pure unadulterated Virginia as much as I like it when it's hot pressed and/or mixed with perique, etc. It's in a jar and I'll revisit it later, but I do have unopened tins of Embarcadero and Fillmore and I'm excited to dive into those this year.

Or maybe I just don't like pure unadulterated Virginia as much as I like it when it's hot pressed and/or mixed with perique, etc.
I think that most people when given the opportunity to smoke unadulterated Virginias, tend to prefer the heavier cased and processed tobaccos. After growing and curing my own for years now, it makes you realize how much stuff has been put into FVF and Capstan type tobaccos.

Status
Not open for further replies.