PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dreamsofsmoke

Lurker
Jun 17, 2017
Recently, I learned of the importance of scale in making purchases on eBay. I kinda accidentally bought a comically large pipe. Even when dimensions are given, I have a very difficult time getting an accurate mental image of the object in question. I need more visual input. If you were to say to me that you had a 4in Billiard, a 6in Billiard, and an 8in Billiard, I can visualize this, yet still not really have an accurate image of how pipes of varying sizes will feel in my hand.

I tend to smoke a large grade 3, a standard grade 4, and occasionally a grade 5.
Here's are a few pipes to demonstrate...

And then all together....

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Holy crap that thing is massive.
That's the same problem I have when buying any pipe online. I love that S&P give exact dimensions but it's still hard to visualize how big or small the pipe might be.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I'd love to see the rest of the stamping on that Dunhill. Rich Esserman is always a resource on the magnum pipes and I've found him to be very responsive.
And that is exactly why I insist on getting the weight of the pipe (preferably in grams). With that reference point, I'm rarely surprised as to the physical size of the pipe.

dreamsofsmoke

Lurker
Jun 17, 2017
The nomenclature does little to help my case. It says XXL03. Obviously I did expect a larger pipe, but this thing is crazy big. I have a weakness for Amber Root pipes, especially with nice grain. Had I seen this in person I would've loved it, but not bought it. I feel ridiculous with this thing in my mouth.

Aug 14, 2012
Regarding Dunhill, not to be disrespectful, but I wonder if the name was originally Dunghill. They were in the bridle making business, which places them in the stable.

dreamsofsmoke

Lurker
Jun 17, 2017
Not to be disrespectful, but how is that not disrespect?
http://rdfield.com/previously-published-articl/the-dunhill-pipe-a-comparis.html

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
I love this piece! I collect big Gr6 and XL/XXL Collectors and this would be right at home with me. Dunhill has put out a few Large XL series, modern magnum and the Richard Dunhill group in the last few decades. This XXL02 and 03 group that I've seen were all great pieces. 8O

dreamsofsmoke

Lurker
Jun 17, 2017
Thanks Brad!!
Dave, I seem to be attracted to these giants as well, although this is the first I've ever encountered. How many do you have?! I'd LOVE to see a photo of others! A Magnum must be insane!

dreamsofsmoke

Lurker
Jun 17, 2017
Ah, a serious collector. I didn't know. I'm more of a sanguine collector, but have nothing but the greatest respect for the serious ones. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.