GH Drop - What'd You Order?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Not that I ever noticed, but several years ago it noted by some that the "sauce" varied from batch to batch.

Perhaps the old GH "saucier" with poor eyesight retired...
I notice that the sauce varies also. But, not by how much, sometimes it's like they just cross-contaminated other blends with stuff, or just changed the recipe. On my Dark Flake unscented, sometimes it would taste a little like the scented version (it never was 100% unscented), and I have had to throw away a pound when it came with Rose Geranium, which is not a usual flavor for that blend. ChasingEmbers is who recently has stated that the sauce is less these days. I think that started with the last drop of Ennerdale, but I was unfamiliar with that blend before the last drop.

Reactions: ofafeather
I have about 20 pounds of ropes in the cellar, and 7 pounds of Dark Flake unscented. If all of the sauce dissipates off of them, I will be happy. If it doesn't, then I'm ok with that too. But, between the Dark Flakes, from jar to jar, batch to batch, they are sort of like whole different blends, because of variations. But, that's not a complaint as much as an observation.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I have about 20 pounds of ropes in the cellar, and 7 pounds of Dark Flake unscented. If all of the sauce dissipates off of them, I will be happy. If it doesn't, then I'm ok with that too. But, between the Dark Flakes, from jar to jar, batch to batch, they are sort of like whole different blends, because of variations. But, that's not a complaint as much as an observation.
Consider idiosyncrasy just part of British charm. All of the British blenders product varies. It's just what they does.

That's kind the image I had in mind. They bring in the village wise woman to decide what this or that batch needs.
Queen of the Lakelands...
She looks like an ancient dryad or a mystic wise woman... | Beauty,  Portrait, Photo series

strave19

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 13, 2011
Got some
Dark Flake Scented
Brown Flake Scented
DBE
Brown Bogie
and some tins of Ennerdale, Bobs, and BB#2.

I think I should be set on G&H now. Well, maybe a bit more Bosun. And some Grasmere. And...and...and...

I have noticed sauce variation, but it isn't a deal breaker for me. The most recent bulk Ennerdale from 2021 was less saucy than the older tins that I have, but it is the same idea. Still great tobacco and a bit less sauce is not necessarily a bad thing for me, just different. I like it all. I love the flavor of their stronger tobaccos but the nic can be overwhelming. Oh well.

It is nice to see so much still available, even today.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I imagine several years down the road my gripe will be: "All the flavor went out of my Ennerdale..."
What I've got jarred from 2015-2018 is still as potent from the day I bought it. You could even smell it permeating the box it was delivered in. Even regular aromatics hold their flavor over years when jarred. The past drops just prior to this one the Ennerdale, Coniston, and Rum Flake had more of a Graham cracker smell and they had to be directly under your nose to notice it.

I would like to point out that I WOULD NEVER SAY THAT THEY DO NOT USE ENOUGH SAUCE!!! NEVER!!!
And that is exactly what used to keep it in stock for those of us that enjoyed it.