Getting Older, Getting In Shape, and Rucking.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

36 Fresh Tsuge Pipes
12 Fresh Ser Jacopo Pipes
23 Fresh Bruno Nuttens Pipes
108 Fresh Brulor Pipes
2 Fresh Former Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Sam Gamgee

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 24, 2022
DFW, Texas
Yet another update…

(I’m going to post as all-things ruck progress on my end in case anyone interested in getting into this is following along.)

I got my GoRuck Bullet Rucksack in the mail yesterday (should’ve taken a pic, will at some point). This bag seems to be extremely well made.

I had a slight case of parsimony flare-up when I was ordering and decided against the weighted plate, but opted to make my own. I found a flat-ish 20lb cinder block that I wrapped in green 100 mph tape and it fits nicely into the bag. There is even room for a bit more in there.

I will probably wrap a 10lb dumbbell around the cinder block at some point for a bit more weight. I thought it wise to start out with the 20 lbs to get the hang of rucking. I’ve always overdone things each time I try to start up an exercise regimen so I’m trying to be smarter at this point.

Today on my lunch break I’m going to do my first ruck and see how it goes. I’ll keep you posted. Wish me luck.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
Yet another update…

(I’m going to post as all-things ruck progress on my end in case anyone interested in getting into this is following along.)

I got my GoRuck Bullet Rucksack in the mail yesterday (should’ve taken a pic, will at some point). This bag seems to be extremely well made.

I had a slight case of parsimony flare-up when I was ordering and decided against the weighted plate, but opted to make my own. I found a flat-ish 20lb cinder block that I wrapped in green 100 mph tape and it fits nicely into the bag. There is even room for a bit more in there.

I will probably wrap a 10lb dumbbell around the cinder block at some point for a bit more weight. I thought it wise to start out with the 20 lbs to get the hang of rucking. I’ve always overdone things each time I try to start up an exercise regimen so I’m trying to be smarter at this point.

Today on my lunch break I’m going to do my first ruck and see how it goes. I’ll keep you posted. Wish me luck.

Is there a tracking tag sewn into the interior of the bag, anywhere? If so, can you PM me a photo of it?

Sam Gamgee

Sep 24, 2022
DFW, Texas
Ok, so I just did my first Ruck on my lunch break. I’ll post some thoughts for anyone interested, and I’ll attach some pics of my setup. The morale patch is very cool to my eye.

First, it was an absolute blast! I’m beginning to really enjoy working out and this will take things to a new level. My daily lunchtime walk is roughly two miles, and much of that is on uneven ground. That’s important to me for keeping my balance up. Walking on smooth floors isn’t the same.

The rucksack was comfortable, but I can already tell I’ll need more weight. 20 lbs just isn’t enough. I’m going to get a bag of sand today and make some sandbags to fill it up a bit more. I think about 40 lbs would be good. I’m 6’ and in pretty decent shape already so that should challenge me a bit.

I was only slightly winded but could tell I was working harder than my normal walks. I felt it on my shins most of all, which I did not expect.

The pack itself is very comfortable and sits nicely on my back. I’m not sure if I have it adjusted properly or not. It’ll take some trial and error.

In my research I noticed some packs have a strap that goes across the chest to keep the shoulder straps held closer together. Mine doesn’t have one of those but I can already tell that would’ve been a nice option/accessory. No factor though. I just grabbed the two bits of adjuster strap that dangle at the bottom (one in each hand) and this tightened up the pack really nicely on my back as I walked. It’s already a good fit but this made it more snug. It also gives me something to do with my hands while I walked; just having my arms swinging loose seemed a bit awkward with a pack on (I’ve never been a backpack person so it’s a little unusual).

When I took it off after 30 minutes it took me a bit to get used to being lighter again. It was a very strange sensation. I was a bit numb all over but in a good way.

If you are curious about this, I say get something together and go for it. You don’t need to spend a lot of money, and there are some great options. I’m only about $150 in with tax and shipping, and there are much cheaper packs of good quality. I saw a YT video where a young dude got a $45 SOG backpack and made his own weights with bricks. He was setup for under $50.

I’m going to start wearing mine while I mow the lawn, etc. Every little bit will help me built strength and slim down, which is my goal.
D6A9F0CD-0CE0-4C22-BAEB-8F758EF9C52A.jpeg2DDA6DF7-9C0A-47DD-AF3F-1FF028545F4D.jpeg4E8FA767-FF4E-4B28-9245-65C55F5FE00E.jpeg302D50F9-A138-4CC4-B6D5-B663100491C6.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

Sam Gamgee

Sep 24, 2022
DFW, Texas
Throw some old shirts or a small pillow in there to move that cinder block as high as possible in the pack and the comfort level will skyrocket.
This is a great idea! Thank you. I’ve got some shirts I’m not doing anything with so I’ll try it.

Mar 1, 2014
Interesting.
A few years ago I tried adding weight to my hiking routine, eventually I settled on sled pulling as the ideal activity to burn more calories while also being less wear on my knees and back, and much more comfortable.
Right now I just drag a 40Kg kettlebell whenever I go for a walk in the woods (using a rope clipped to a wide belt around my belly), which is just enough to make a casual walking pace into aerobic exercise, any more weight and it would be anaerobic exercise and I'd have to pause to rest every few minutes.

If you're in an urban environment it would require something more sophisticated than just dragging a hunk of iron because you'd destroy the roads and sidewalks pretty quick.

Cycling would have been my first choice because it's just about the best thing for your knees, but bicycles are very high maintenance if you don't have paved roads to go biking on.

Last edited:

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
Good for you! Keep up the good work!

I wish I had your energy.

I'm gonna sit back, load a bowl of something worthy, poor a neat bourbon and salute your fortitude!

Cheers puffy

Reactions: Sam Gamgee

Sam Gamgee

Sep 24, 2022
DFW, Texas
When I got home Friday I added a dumbbell inside the bag and did my lawn work with the rucksack on. I'm sure I looked like a total dork to the neighbors but it was some really good exercise. This coming week I'm going to try and do a 40 lb. ruck-walk each day on my lunchbreak. I also need to get a better pair of shoes. I noticed that GoRuck sells footwear as well. I might spring for some rucking boots soon.

Sam Gamgee

Sep 24, 2022
DFW, Texas
Did a 40 lb ruck session at lunch. Winded me a bit and I felt it. Could definitely feel some resistance. The pack still hangs nicely even with more weight. There’s no way around the straps digging in a little with so much weight in there, but I got used to it pretty quickly. It makes taking a walk feel like a workout which is exactly what I wanted.

Navy Chief

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 11, 2022
Did a 40 lb ruck session at lunch. Winded me a bit and I felt it. Could definitely feel some resistance. The pack still hangs nicely even with more weight. There’s no way around the straps digging in a little with so much weight in there, but I got used to it pretty quickly. It makes taking a walk feel like a workout which is exactly what I wanted.
At 40lbs you are getting into the range where I would definitely want a hip belt and the chest strap to stabilize things and get the weight better distributed.

Sam Gamgee

Sep 24, 2022
DFW, Texas
At 40lbs you are getting into the range where I would definitely want a hip belt and the chest strap to stabilize things and get the weight better distributed.
I hear you. This pack handles 40 lbs very well and it feels pretty balanced etc. If I ever move up I’ll likely need a bigger rucksack with the straps. There’s not really room in this pack for more weight anyway. I have the 20lb cinder block and over the weekend I homemade two 10lb ziplock bags of sand (wrapped in 100 mph tape). The pack is pretty full now. I could still slide in a plate from GoRuck but at around $120 or so, I’ll stick to making my own weights for way less.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

Home Brewing Piper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2021
NE Wisconsin
I just found this thread so a little late to the party. I was a runner for many years but around 2016 I was looking for something a little easier on my knees. I found rucking. I bought a couple of surplus military rucksacks and they were OK but didn't really hold the weights stable enough for me. Last fall when I turned 50, I bought a GoRuck Rucker 4.0 and 2 30lb plates. I did 1.5 miles with 60lb and decided I didn't enjoy that. I typically ruck 4 to 5 miles with around 45 to 50lbs.

I joined a Nashville-based rucking group and we do group rucks and night rucks which is fun.

Glad you are enjoying it!

Sam Gamgee

Sep 24, 2022
DFW, Texas
Here is an update for anyone still interested and following along. (I'm secretly hoping this thread gets some people off the couch that have been feeling the nudge for a while.)

Yesterday I completed my second full week of rucking. I have learned a lot and had a lot of fun. I can't see myself going back to taking regular walks because the rucksack really does add another layer of enjoyment to the experience. It's just hard enough to make it feel like I'm doing something.

Some of the muscles in my back that don't normally get much use (apparently) have taken note and are hardening up. I've also been faithful with my weight-lifting and can feel my body taking shape like it hasn't in a long time. I've still got my dad-layers and need to lose them, but underneath I'm getting solid. I just had a physical yesterday and the doc was very encouraging in my staying the course on all this. I think I might've even talked him into getting a rucksack himself.

Some things I've learned:
I should have bought a bag with a sternum strap. GoRuck sells a strap but I just ordered another bag that comes with one. I'll post more about that bag when it comes in the post and I've had a chance to load it up and use it a bit. I've done lots of reading about various bags and just happened up this one in a random Amazon review comment. I was intrigued and was soon separated from a bit more of my money. Apparently from what I've learned on YouTube, collecting backpacks and rucksacks is "a thing." I had no idea but apparently am falling prey to it. My GoRuck pack will likely become my range-bag.

I dove right in with 40 lbs on my back and since my bag doesn't have a chest strap it ended up making my chest (the bones) sore. I backed off and went back down to 30 lbs. Problem solved. When the new bag arrives I'm going to try and get it fitted with 40 lbs and see how that goes. I think 40 is a good target weight based on my size and weight (6' and around 200 lbs).

I need some better shoes. I'm bad about buying cheap shoes and am starting to feel it. I do my rucking on my lunchbreak and can't wear mesh running shoes in our shop. They have to be leather or leather-ish. I'm open to recommendations here. A couple years ago I bought some Fila and NB at Kohl's. They were around $80 each and were ABSOLUTE TRASH. They fell apart within weeks and I went back to my Walmart shoes that are way cheaper and much more comfortable, but not good for rucking.

The advice I recv'd in this thread about getting the weight up higher in the pack is good advice. I stuffed my rucksack with old t-shirts and got the weight up as high in the bag (and therefore on my back) as possible. Made a big difference in comfort and load-bearing.

Anyway, lots of fun and it feels good to be getting in shape. None of what I'm doing is a quick fix but I'm determined to stay the course and crush middle age (I'm 48 and staring 49 right in the eyes). I need to get off sugar and beer and do much better at the dinner table at night. If I do I'll be one of those middle-age dudes that aren't ripped but you can tell they are strong and healthy. I always admire that look when I see it. That is my goal.

Also, I added a new toy to my garage torture chamber: a 40 lb. sack of pool salt that I let the air out of and wrapped up like a lead pillow. It's great fun to toss it around and do exercises with it. I also added a famous Dylan Thomas quote to the wall of my garage since I am determined to fight against time, the "devourer of all things." Like all things, I will eventually succumb, but not easily. I want to be like George Washington, whose last words were: "I die, but I die hard..."

IMG_0071.jpgIMG_0072.jpg

Reactions: pipenschmoeker123

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Real question, is there something t special about this backpack? Having been in the military it’s not what i was expecting when i read rucksack, 225 bucks for a back pack is up there to me personally.

Anything that works for you and helps you exercise and keeps you motivated is great, not a knock just a question.

Sam Gamgee

Sep 24, 2022
DFW, Texas
Real question, is there something t special about this backpack? Having been in the military it’s not what i was expecting when i read rucksack, 225 bucks for a back pack is up there to me personally.

Anything that works for you and helps you exercise and keeps you motivated is great, not a knock just a question.
There are some better qualified to answer (paging BarrelProof...) but I'll tell you what I have learned. A "regular" backpack isn't made to carry heavy weight. Sure, you could go to Academy and get a backpack, load it up with sandbags, but it's going to fall apart, and it's going to be very uncomfortable. Companies like GoRuck, MysteryRanch, et al, make heavy-duty packs. The ones made for bearing loads also sometimes have frames in them to help the back, and some (like GoRuck) have compartments for weighted plates to fit in. I wasn't willing to pay for the plates and made my own weights.

Here is GoRuck's way of explaining it: GORUCK Rucksacks - https://www.goruck.com/collections/rucksacks

They make really good stuff but there is also a very real branding/hipster element to them. The folks that love them seem to REALLY love them. They seem to have created a lifestyle-type image along with great bags. And the price tag that goes along with such things.

Reactions: AJL67

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
There are some better qualified to answer (paging BarrelProof...) but I'll tell you what I have learned. A "regular" backpack isn't made to carry heavy weight. Sure, you could go to Academy and get a backpack, load it up with sandbags, but it's going to fall apart, and it's going to be very uncomfortable. Companies like GoRuck, MysteryRanch, et al, make heavy-duty packs. The ones made for bearing loads also sometimes have frames in them to help the back, and some (like GoRuck) have compartments for weighted plates to fit in. I wasn't willing to pay for the plates and made my own weights.

Here is GoRuck's way of explaining it: GORUCK Rucksacks - https://www.goruck.com/collections/rucksacks

They make really good stuff but there is also a very real branding/hipster element to them. The folks that love them seem to REALLY love them. They seem to have created a lifestyle-type image along with great bags. And the price tag that goes along with such things.
Gracias

Home Brewing Piper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2021
NE Wisconsin
Goruck has some pretty decent leather rucking boots. I have a pair and I really like them. I have bad ankles so I like the extra support from boots while rucking, especially on uneven trails.

Sam Gamgee

Sep 24, 2022
DFW, Texas
Ok, so the journey continues. Another bag caught my eye and I was curious enough to buy one. Enter the Agilite Tactical Backpack. This is the one used by the Israeli special ops guys. It’s a killer bag that I’ve got loaded up with 40 lbs. Honestly, the GoRuck bag seems a little tougher and possibly better made, but the Agilite is more comfortable, particularly because it has the chest strap. I’ve got 30lbs inside the pack and 10 lbs more on the outside part that is for storing a helmet. It rides really high up on the back. I’ve not done a ruck with it yet but will test it out next week. It’s a bit smaller than the GoRuck. I think I’ll make the GoRuck my new range bag.
752CC63A-136E-4370-BDFC-377A563B3E5A.jpeg75DE3513-7000-47C8-BFB9-C0081E1A4641.jpeg91B3795C-DC33-4F4D-8922-002212AAB8FB.jpeg

Reactions: Home Brewing Piper