PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipenscotch

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 19, 2012
Well, a recent trip to the dentist came with an unwanted piece of advice from the ol' doc himself...that I get not one, not two, not three, but all four of my wisdom teeth pulled (not so damn wise if you ask me). I've been suffering a lot of pain in one particular tooth, and I now have a gum infection as a result of the tooth not coming in properly and splitting my gums. All four teeth will cause similar issues in the future. In hindsight, pipe smoking probably wasn't helping with the infection, but who the hell cares :puffy:
So this week Friday is the big day...no smoking 72 hrs prior and no smoking 72 hrs after. But rest assured, some well needed pipe smoking will be in order as soon as I recover. Maybe some Old Dark Fired in my new Rattray Glory Days pipe...
Happy puffin,

pipenscotch

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
Check your insurance carefully. We had all 4 of my son's wisdom pulled at once. Then we found the only way to get full coverage, was to pull 2 then go to a different dentest for the other 2. That mistake cost us.
Winton

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
From your forum name I'll assume you're partial to scotch so load up. At 62 I still have mine although the dentist advised me to have them extracted 20 years ago. I think he had boat payments or college tuition coming up.

Good luck and heal fast.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Good luck on that trip to have your teeth pulled, but ask some questions. When I had a bad tooth in my late twenties, the dentist decided to pull it with all four wisdom teeth at the same time. For this procedure, he had me go to a clinic or hospital where they put me out, so I didn't have to endure the trauma of being awake while the pulled one tooth after another. I woke up afterwards with no discomfort (although I was shocked at looking at myself in the mirror: my face had gone completely white from the draining of blood), and, although looking like a chipmunk, was able to teach my college class for that evening. Make sure they put you into twilight sleep: don't let them do this to you awake, for God's sake!

pipebow88

Can't Leave
Jun 12, 2013
Been there, done that.It really isn't too bad. If you want an easy recovery I will give a HUGE tip that they don't tell you. Make ice packs in ziplock bags of water and rubbing alcohol(google for ratio), and make them small enough to put in a tube sock. Make plenty of them to be able to rotate them so some are re freezing while you are using two. The tube sock will keep the cold indirect, so it isn't too cold. The tube sock is also long enough to be able to tie them to your head. Keep the ice packs going for 12-24 hours after the surgery. This will keep any swelling from starting, and the swelling is what causes the pain. I did this and was good to go with no issues or pain. I saw many a friend go through a different story. Had a family friend who once worked with an oral surgeon, and this is where she learned this trick. Works like a charm. Completely worth looking crazy for a day.

B

pipenscotch

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 19, 2012
winton: Good advice! I'll have to read the fine print for sure.
papipeguy: I've got a bottle of Laphroaig Quarter Cask waiting for me :puffy:
sparrowhawk: Rest assured, I will be out cold for the entire thing, they're sticking an IV in me.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Everyone's mouth is different. I kept all four wisdom teeth until my mid-sixties, and then I only had the

offending wisdom tooth pulled. Plenty of ice helps. I had only local freezing, and I did not have pain.

Though I got pretty nervous beforehand. Probably wise to take any pain meds offered, just to prevent

that from starting. And keep your jaw iced. And rest. I'd take at least a day off, maybe two. Don't push.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I only grew three but had them all removed at the same time.
My doctor actually told me that a couple of beers would help the painkiller be effective ... he was right! :D
As a side note ... anyone remember the "Jerky Boys"?
watch

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
if you can reschedule until Mon or Tue that would be my advice. if things go south finding your dentist over the weekend could be a problem. btw, double zip-lok those ice packs.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I think the surgical technique for removing wisdom teeth has improved a lot since I had mine out in 1977.
Both my sons had their wisdom teeth out a few years ago. Surgery was in the morning and they were eating dinner that evening. Recovery was rapid and I don't think they even took any of their Vicodin tablets.
Insurance ended up covering 80% of the bill but I was required to put up $500.00 in advance for the anesthesia in case insurance refused to pay. They did pay.

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
Had my bottom two out in '84 in Navy boot camp; 17 years old. Reported for watch duty that evening. You'll be fine.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
Good Luck..Hope all goes well for you...Some of today's pain pills can constipate you pretty severely.You may want to keep that in mind.

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
Listen to the Dr.s when they mention the words "Dry Socket." It's when you do something post-op that manages to dislodge the new clot in the now vacant hole in your jaw. Exposed nerves DON'T like fresh air, and they will let you know wholeheartedly. YOU DON'T WANT THIS!!!

sailorjeremy

Can't Leave
Feb 25, 2014
Virginia
Had my bottom two out in '84 in Navy boot camp; 17 years old. Reported for watch duty that evening. You'll be fine.
Amen to that! Had 3 taken out at Navy boot camp in 2010 and stood watch the next morning hopped up on Hydrocodone. You got this!

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
I'd double down on Defargin's "Dry Socket" comment. One of my sons had all four removed in one sitting and then developed the dreaded DS in three of the four recesses. His twin brother sailed through the same procedure four months later without a problem one. Go figure.
Come heavy with the cold packs, pal. They do work.
Fnord

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
I had my bottom two out 15 years ago. Not too bad. The 1st doctor wrenched on me until his Dad(dentist also) came in and took over and had them both out within 30 mins.

natenice1

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2014
I will go with dochudson and defargin, make sure the dentist is on call on the weekend, all you need is a dry socket on Sat or Sun, waiting in the ER for 10 hrs. Because they don't think it's a high priority! It happened to my bro-in law. Not fun! Good luck and ice and Oxy. 8)

macabra11

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 14, 2014
Boise, ID
Oh man, I was 22 when I had mine out (all four) and it was a trip! My wife went with me because they were going to knock me out and I couldn't drive after the anesthesia. She said she could hear me laughing and hitting on the nurses all the way from the waiting room. I REALLY enjoyed the laughing gas and apparently everyone was cracking up because of my antics. They gave me some Vicodin for the pain and that stuff was terrible. It made me super sick to my stomach, so I flushed the other pills.
DON'T use a straw for awhile, or you could increase the chances of dry sockets.

darthcider

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 24, 2014
Wales
Had a problem with one of mine when in the RAF. Woke up to find they'd pulled all four "just in case", ice packs are the way to go to reduce swelling and pain.

Status
Not open for further replies.