PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
It’s not that exiting anymore.

Not that it ever was that exciting, but lately I’ve found myself just kind of, I dunno, underwhelmed? with the whole experience. I smoked some 20 year old McClellend Anniversary to see if it would perk me up and get me back into it, but the whole thing just kind of became a bore. It tastes good, I’m relaxing…yay…

I play music, and the inspiration to pick up an instrument comes and goes, my interest in listening to music ebbs and flows, too, but for the first time since I started smoking a pipe, I’ve become bored with the whole thing. It used to be endlessly interesting, fascinating and fun for me to read about, acquire and smoke tobacco. Now it’s just something I do cause it’s something I do.

Any of you ever felt that way?
For me the novelty wore off after a couple of years. I have tried maybe 60 blends. Around 10 are blends that I like to smoke and have in stock, which means I've smoked at least 50 and probably more like 100 tins and pouches of tobacco that I only liked a little or less.
For me it's very much like other indulgenses, coffee, beer, whiskey etc. I do it for pleasure, sometimes I make an effort to try something new, broaden my horizon, but must of the time I just stick to the stuff that works for me.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
It’s not that exiting anymore.

Not that it ever was that exciting, but lately I’ve found myself just kind of, I dunno, underwhelmed? with the whole experience. I smoked some 20 year old McClellend Anniversary to see if it would perk me up and get me back into it, but the whole thing just kind of became a bore. It tastes good, I’m relaxing…yay…

I play music, and the inspiration to pick up an instrument comes and goes, my interest in listening to music ebbs and flows, too, but for the first time since I started smoking a pipe, I’ve become bored with the whole thing. It used to be endlessly interesting, fascinating and fun for me to read about, acquire and smoke tobacco. Now it’s just something I do cause it’s something I do.

Any of you ever felt that way?
Sometimes familiarity breeds contempt. Maybe take a break from the P&T.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I am a weekend smoker, so come Saturday afternoon, I really look forward to my 1st pipe of the week.
I have over 30 tobacco blends open, so it's fun deciding on what to smoke on the day.
To mix it up, I switch to cigars from time to time.

Even so, there are times when I'm part way through a bowl of favourite tobacco when I think "this is boring !" Probably my palate on the day - I switch to a different bland, and it's all good.

But as a few have said - give it a break for a while, perhaps

Or, buy a new pipe ?

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I started here to learn about restorations from Ed and stayed to help the new guys. Cigarettes, chewing tobacco, snuff, and other tobacco forms have forums too.
I can understand that, I guess. I dip too but I would be bored to death on a dip forum and I seriously want to quit but it’s got its hooks in me. I joined a snuff forum for a bit when I was new to that but it bored me to tears. Pipes and tobacco just has so much history, great people, wonderful stories and so many moving parts, I never seem to bore of it, though I’m sure I’ll get to that point eventually. I do need to take breaks from it as I mentioned before but the breaks are rarely long and I always come back with a renewed love.
Exactly. I work a 7/12 shift and am the only person in my department. I rarely ever see people.
Man, that’s crazy! I work 12 hour shifts too but I get 3 and 4 day rotating weekends. I guess If my daughter was fully grown and I truly loved my job, 7/12 hour shifts would be okay… I doubt it though, I am definitely not the workaholic type, not that there’s anything wrong with that.

Last edited:

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Pipes and tobacco just has so much history, great people, wonderful stories and so many moving parts,
As do all of the others. Tobacco storage, moisture, packing, lighting techniques, accessories, etc. are discussed on tge other forums just as they are here. Pipe and tobacco history really never held much interest for me.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
As do all of the others. Tobacco storage, moisture, packing, lighting techniques, accessories, etc. are discussed on tge other forums just as they are here. Pipe and tobacco history really never held much interest for me.
With a dip forum, what is there to talk about? Spit cups? Spittoons? Not much else to it. Dipping for me is my crack, can’t get that monkey off my back, I’m ashamed of it, I don’t want to celebrate it, it’s highly addictive by design. I certainly wouldn’t want to partake in a dip forum. If that’s what floats peoples boats, I’m not going to judge it, just a curious mind is all. I imagine it’s probably just a sub forum and not a forum entirely just for dipping.

This Zyn is my new thing as far as getting my nic fix indoors, same price as dip though, so I’m not really saving any money. Anyone try this stuff? No tobacco, just nicotine.

image.jpg

Reactions: jpberg

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
I've been a cigar smoker since the 96 more or less, in pipe, two years. for the time being, I'm stillenjoying these smoke. It relaxes me and I get a special pleasure. And predicting the future is very dificult. Maybe when I're 75 years, smokes on Mars, with beings from another galaxy. I'm not bored, quite the opposite. It makes me feel more alive...........

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
I've thought about this threads topic a bit this morning and am wondering if the problem is burnout rather than boredom. I say this because I have gone through enough cycles of hobbies or activities and gotten burned out.

For example I got burned out from distance running after several years of training and running many miles per year. I then setteled into just running if I wanted. The same occured when learning a musical instrument or how to hone a straight razor. After a while the interests just wane a bit. You know you know how, and that's enough.

I do think in life we must push back on allowing ourselves to be bored because I think its a slipperly slope for depression and even self harm. There is a place for going for a walk even when we don't want to because we know exercise is good for the body.

I do think there is a start up and skill development necessary to have a good smoke and each of us is different. There are those of us addicted to nicotine and others that are not. I say this as a former chewing tobacco addict. It's never something I want to go through again and when I smoke it's always a concern.

I also think that most of us want to not obcess on smoking but fishing, camping, bicycling, motoring, talking to friends, enjoying a sunset, etc. and not having smoking be the dominant concern.