Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
It’s not that exiting anymore.

Not that it ever was that exciting, but lately I’ve found myself just kind of, I dunno, underwhelmed? with the whole experience. I smoked some 20 year old McClellend Anniversary to see if it would perk me up and get me back into it, but the whole thing just kind of became a bore. It tastes good, I’m relaxing…yay…

I play music, and the inspiration to pick up an instrument comes and goes, my interest in listening to music ebbs and flows, too, but for the first time since I started smoking a pipe, I’ve become bored with the whole thing. It used to be endlessly interesting, fascinating and fun for me to read about, acquire and smoke tobacco. Now it’s just something I do cause it’s something I do.

Any of you ever felt that way?

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Sure that can happen with any hobby. My way of getting back in the game is to make a few nice dinners in a row. I am a big fan of Sea Bass. Grilled to perfection and that perks me up. Lobster is also a favorite so I will have that maybe the next night. Open a nice bottle of wine if you are into that kind of thing. Maybe buy a new pipe, maybe redo your pipe collection a bit. I recently re did most of my collection, that is always fun. Smoked aged tobacco night after night. I only smoke aged tobacco now. I consider anything older than 8-10 years to be aged. If I could still golf I would go play one of the TPC courses I had access to. I was a member of the TPC at Pretstancia. Smoke a cigar maybe to change things. I loved my Maduro Anniversary Padron cigars as those can be had almost anywhere. That is all I can think of right now.

Charlie718

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2021
Bronx, New York
I picked up a pipe because I like tobacco and it’s tastes. Pipes scratch that nic itch and give me different flavors then cigars. As someone who seeks out challenges I can see how after developing good techniques and knowledge of blends and how they smoke could leave me feeling the need for a new challenge but I wouldn’t consider that bored with pipes, the pipe would just be there with me on my next challenge lol.

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
I picked up a pipe because I like tobacco and it’s tastes. Pipes scratch that nic itch and give me different flavors then cigars. As someone who seeks out challenges I can see how after developing good techniques and knowledge of blends and how they smoke could leave me feeling the need for a new challenge but I wouldn’t consider that bored with pipes, the pipe would just be there with me on my next challenge lol.
That's a good way of putting it.

skydog

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2017
Sometimes I smoke because it's just what I do. I also play music and experience similar ebbs and flows in playing and listening. But I don't remember ever being bored with tobacco or music. I smoked cigarettes to get nicotine though.

I switched to pipes to get off cigarettes and I stuck with pipe tobacco because I enjoy it. I actually find that, after years of smoking, now I am more happy to smoke the same blend day in and day out.

I enjoy aged tobacco occasionally but fresh Wessex Gold Brick keeps me interested day after day. Same as Carolina Red Flake kept me interested day after day a few years ago. If I was bored with tobacco I'd probably take a break for a few days and then either enjoy one of my favorites or try something new. It's easy to get stuck in a rut and sometimes it just takes a mental reset to get out of it.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I really don’t understand you all who say you are just smokers… I always assumed those who just smoke would never sign up to a forum and participate in it daily for years.

To the OP, take a break. Sometimes ya just need a break and that goes for anything. I’ve felt the same as you many times over the years but my excitement always comes back.