PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Franco Pipenbeans

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 7, 2021
Yorkshire, England
I’ve just popped to the seaside for a breath of sea air and I just popped in to a tobacconist to pick up some bits. I asked my usual question, “Do you have any Germain’s Unicorn blends?” To which I got the reply, “We’ve got Latakia Flake and Plum Pudding in tins and some others that I can weigh out for you.”

They actually had the best selection I have seen for a long while so I bought 2oz’s of their Brown Flake.

A general conversation about how the old Covid has or hasn’t affected trade ensued, which then moved on to Germain’s in general and why it’s so difficult to get hold of?

The answer was…”China”.

I’ve read people speculate about this before but the tobacconist confirmed that they got some Germain’s in yesterday (Friday) and it all sold out online within an hour.

He then went on to say that they keep some supply that isn’t sold online, to stock the shop, and that this didn’t sell out as quickly, though a local gentleman came in and bought large quantities and has said that he is selling it to a contact he has in China for a nice profit.

This could all be a load of ? but the tobacconist’s recommendation was to get your Germain’s from an actual shop and not to rely on online outlets who can sell out quickly.

I suggested that they might consider a purchase limit and he said “First come, first served; buy as much as you want.” Which is fair enough.

He also alluded to the fact that most Germain’s stock now went overseas (didn’t say exactly where but, from the tone of the conversation, I presumed the Far Eastern markets), directly from Jersey but, ?‍♂️, that could just be hearsay from the Rep.

I didn’t think pipes were all that popular in the Far East but I could be wrong.

Anyway, just thought I’d share the conversation with you all, make of it what you will.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Its popular with wealthy Chinese pipe smokers that use it as a status symbol since its so expensive and hard to get a hold of. The bags are especially sought after.
Every western luxury/hard to get item is a status symbol there, regardless of whether they understand it for what it is. There’s a likely urban legend that at a company gathering everyone produced a bottle of rare/ultra expensive wine. After the ohhh ahhh and bragging they proceeded to pour every bottle in a bowl and make a punch of it. As i said that’s likely bullshit, but I feel it has a spec of truth in it.

What gets me properly annoyed is the very real funding of poaching for rhino horns, Asian tiger parts, shark fins etc

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I’ve just popped to the seaside for a breath of sea air and I just popped in to a tobacconist to pick up some bits. I asked my usual question, “Do you have any Germain’s Unicorn blends?” To which I got the reply, “We’ve got Latakia Flake and Plum Pudding in tins and some others that I can weigh out for you.”

They actually had the best selection I have seen for a long while so I bought 2oz’s of their Brown Flake.

A general conversation about how the old Covid has or hasn’t affected trade ensued, which then moved on to Germain’s in general and why it’s so difficult to get hold of?

The answer was…”China”.

I’ve read people speculate about this before but the tobacconist confirmed that they got some Germain’s in yesterday (Friday) and it all sold out online within an hour.

He then went on to say that they keep some supply that isn’t sold online, to stock the shop, and that this didn’t sell out as quickly, though a local gentleman came in and bought large quantities and has said that he is selling it to a contact he has in China for a nice profit.

This could all be a load of ? but the tobacconist’s recommendation was to get your Germain’s from an actual shop and not to rely on online outlets who can sell out quickly.

I suggested that they might consider a purchase limit and he said “First come, first served; buy as much as you want.” Which is fair enough.

He also alluded to the fact that most Germain’s stock now went overseas (didn’t say exactly where but, from the tone of the conversation, I presumed the Far Eastern markets), directly from Jersey but, ?‍♂️, that could just be hearsay from the Rep.

I didn’t think pipes were all that popular in the Far East but I could be wrong.

Anyway, just thought I’d share the conversation with you all, make of it what you will.
Pipe tobacco is highly sought by Chinese buyers. Esoterica is highly prized. One of the B&M's I bought from told me that they sell the stock that doesn't sell in the first month to an agent in Texas who exports it to China.
I've also had a few members here tell me that they have arrangements with some B&Ms to buy their entire shipment so that they can in turn sell it to Chinese agents.

You're not wrong.

Franco Pipenbeans

Jan 7, 2021
Yorkshire, England
A Germain's Plum Pudding? I'd be very interested in knowing more!
Apologies; it’s “Plum Cake” not “Plum Pudding” and it’s not a plug/crumble cake, it’s a shag cut, like hand rolling tobacco for cigarettes and it is fairly unique stuff, I can’t decide if I like it or not but nothing tastes quite like it. The “plum” comes from the blend itself, as far as I know there is no topping added but I could be wrong.

Franco Pipenbeans

Jan 7, 2021
Yorkshire, England
Pipe tobacco is highly sought by Chinese buyers. Esoterica is highly prized. One of the B&M's I bought from told me that they sell the stock that doesn't sell in the first month to an agent in Texas who exports it to China.
I've also had a few members here tell me that they have arrangements with some B&Ms to buy their entire shipment so that they can in turn sell it to Chinese agents.

You're not wrong.
To be honest, it’s highly sought after in the UK and it is most definitely sought after in the US, if the posts on here and the YTPC are anything to go by. ?

I asked about whether the tobacconist knew if production of Germain’s had decreased for any reason and he thought not; it was the popularity of it that made it scarce, production and supply had stayed relatively consistent.

I’m genuinely considering flying to Jersey to see if you can obtain it more easily there; in my head I have visions of a Willy Wonka type dude, handing out tins of the stuff like confetti to the islanders, from the sunroof of a purple Rolls-Royce! ? I also imagine that the streets are paved with tins of the stuff, shimmering in the sunlight…I’ve been to Jersey though, and I know it isn’t so, but still, my imagination gets away with me sometimes.

Terry Lennox

Can't Leave
Aug 11, 2021
Southern California
I believe pipe smoking is popular among a small cohort of wealthy Chinese. But it doesn't take much to impact the tiny production of a blending house like Germain's.

A couple of observations: If you look at the customer reviews of tobaccos on SP dot com you will see many of the most recent posts are in Chinese. Also, I recently sold a few newer Dunhill pipes on Ebay, some unsmoked with silver work etc. Most were purchased by what I suspect were Chinese buyers. How do I know? While the payments were made from US agents, the shipping addresses were to Asian freight forwarders on the west coast.

Don't get me wrong, it's good that Germains can stay in business with support of global demand like this. Good for them and the hobby. I just wish they could scale production a bit.

Reactions: macaroni and Toast

Duke of Erinmore

Can't Leave
Jul 5, 2020
Bayreuth, Bavaria, Germany
I’m genuinely considering flying to Jersey to see if you can obtain it more easily there; in my head I have visions of a Willy Wonka type dude, handing out tins of the stuff like confetti to the islanders, from the sunroof of a purple Rolls-Royce! ? I also imagine that the streets are paved with tins of the stuff, shimmering in the sunlight…I’ve been to Jersey though, and I know it isn’t so, but still, my imagination gets away with me sometimes.
A well-known German pipe-blogger spends some time sailing in the Channel every year and tried the same. All he came back with was a recommendation for a top restaurant in St Helier :ROFLMAO:

Franco Pipenbeans

Jan 7, 2021
Yorkshire, England
A well-known German pipe-blogger spends some time sailing in the Channel every year and tried the same. All he came back with was a recommendation for a top restaurant in St Helier :ROFLMAO:
Maybe that recommended restaurant was the beginning of a new mission and Germain’s was freely available in the kitchen walk in fridge, next to the chilled turbot?!?!? ?

pauls456

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2020
Tucson, Arizona
It's literally been years since the last Germain's (not Esoterica) drop in the U.S. Given the sophistication of Chinese pipe smokers and the size of the Chinese market, it's clear that's where it's going. It's too bad the manufacturer seems not to care about this, or maybe they are profiting from it in some way.

Jun 23, 2019
We knew the booming Chinese market was vacuuming up Estoerica/Germain stuff for what feels like a decade now. Would love to see them sell more bulk style through B&Ms but probably not realistic for their profit margins.

Mar 13, 2020
missouri
It's literally been years since the last Germain's (not Esoterica) drop in the U.S. Given the sophistication of Chinese pipe smokers and the size of the Chinese market, it's clear that's where it's going. It's too bad the manufacturer seems not to care about this, or maybe they are profiting from it in some way.
Every so often I'll find it in the local B&M. Recent production tins, too

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
My preferred local tobacconist usually gets a dozen or so assorted tins of esoterica and maybe 5 or 6 random Germains tins at least twice a year.
The other tobacconist in town that orders from Arango typically gets the same stuff but he gouges the piss out of them - so screw his goofy ass.

Crotchety bastard maintains he sells pipes all the time but he's had the same case of WAY overpriced Savinelli Autographs as long as I've been looking.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Ah our friends in China, Habanos recently decided that their cigars were a luxury item and new prices are based on the Hing Kong luxury market, so that $450 cab of CoRos is now $1300 or so dollars, a box of something sill like Party shorts that 4 weeks ago was $250 is now $500. With their production down by 50% and the new 49% stake holder in SA Habanos being a Chinese company they are banking on their market moving away from everyday smokers to the Chinese market with billions of people. They started destroying the vintage market a few years ago where you could get some good deals on Cuban Davidoff and the like, now normal people can’t touch those cigars and eve worst part is the Chinese buy them as an investment and status symbol (this from Ajay) they don’t even smoke them :(