PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
That makes sense.

There's an Aussie importer where one can buy as little as 10g of particular blends.
He had a rather good selection when I looked and was tempted to buy several before committing to ordering a pound but I simply can't pay the contemptible taxes on mere principle.

Although most of the blends that I ordered by the pound were all new to me, it was fortunate that I enjoyed most and the few that weren't to my taste I was able to tweak by mixing with other blends.

I'm unable to find that importer.
Any Aussies have the link? Thanking you in advance.
Is it TobaccoBlends? Pipe Samples – Tobacco Blends - https://www.tobaccoblends.com.au/products/pipe-samples/

Reactions: chopper and OzPiper
Btw Richard, how are you off for pipes? [Apologies if you've already said]
If you'd asked me before a Church Council Meeting last night, I'd have said 3. A donated older generic (prob) French straight billiard stamped "Bruyere Garantie", which happens to take a 9mm filter (my preferred filter). A Savinelli half bent apple, again 9mm filter. And a Peterson Second St Paddy's Day 2019 bent, 9mm, not System.
But lo! At the meeting, the Chair of my Church Council presented me with 5 of his pipes which he hasn't smoked since 1990 ish, about the same time that I gave up smoking. They will need a really good clean (must google how to restore a pipe which has been gathering dust for 30 years, esp Peterson mounts.) I'll post pics on the magazine's Facebook page. Which reminds me to ask, what's the relationship between this site and a FB page of the same name, and how do posters decide which one to post on?

Reactions: Ahi Ka and chopper

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Hi Richard,
Good to hear that you have a few more pipes for your rotation.

I've found Rebornpipes (Pastor Steve Laug) to be a valuable motherload of detailed information on cleaning, restoring and resurrecting pipes. Even a ham-fisted klutz like me has been encouraged to dabble in estate pipes after reading Steve's
blogs.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
That metal device is called a stinger(a condensation device).

Some are push-pull inserts that may be stuck because of solidified tars and gunk, in which case a hot water soak or some isopropyl alcohol (>70%) in the airway may loosen it. If not, try putting the stem in the freezer for 20-30mins.

Some stingers are threaded in, and will need careful unscrewing. Some may be fixed "permanently" - in which case, clean as best you can and smoke with the stinger in.

I've had a few that required a lot of patient (and not so patient) wriggling and jiggling before they would dislodge

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
While this looks like a Meerschaum. Too small for a filter, even 6mm, but I used to love my Meerschaum when I last smoked pipes. So after a clean, I'll be happy to puff this without a filter.View attachment 79427
African meerschaum. The outside will scrub up well with some soap and a toothbrush - gently, and not too wet, as meerschaum is porous and too much water will soften it.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Smoking 70% Butternut Burley, 30% Peterson My Mixture 965 (my own blend, yeah, I know it’s sacrilegious) in my newly acquired and cleaned Amphora 1980s pipe with a 9mm filter. Heaven. I don’t usually do refills, might tonight.
Sounds nice. Might try that myself.
Butternut Burley is one of my favourite aromatics. [And fortunate to have a couple of pounds of it in my 'cellar']
Sacrilegious? Hell no! :LOL: Smoke what you like. Like what you smoke.

Nice score on the pipes.
Back in the day many European tobacconists would make a bulk order of assorted pipes from mainly French pipe makers but also German. These were marked Bruyere Garantie.

A 100+yo German tobacconist closed a few years ago and their old stock was being sold on fleabay.
They must have had thousands of NOS [new old stock] pipes going back to the turn of the century.
I bought quite a few including piped marked Bruyere Garantie. Good smokers.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Regarding Dr Pat Irish Mixture; my 4th grade teacher occasionally smoked a bowl of Dr Pat in the classroom during lunch. The room smelled heavenly upon our return.

The blend must have changed over the years because it smelled different forty years later.

For those who are looking for a blend with a similar topping, Orlik Racing Green has an almost identical tin note as DPIM and it's a better smoke IMO.

It uses different leaf and due to the different cut, is easier to pack 'just right'.

ORG is what I call a semi-aro where one can still taste tobacco. It's one of those blends that I'd be content to smoke all day.

Hi everyone: I smoked pipes (say 3 bowls a week) for some years until I got married more than 30 years ago. Never smoked cigarettes, perhaps a semi-annual cigar. When I stopped pipe-smoking, I gave away a good selection, including a couple of Meerschaums (the real deal, not corn cobs). I moved to lovely, tropical North Queensland almost 3 years ago, and found that at my first ministers' gathering (I'm a Uniting Church minister), some colleagues broke out pipes. I got home, told my wife, who decreed "No! You are not to take up pipe smoking again!".
Cue a couple of Sunday evenings ago, a few of those colleagues came round for dinner. Afterwards, while we were sitting outside, they asked if they could light up pipes, and produced a spare for me ? So now I'm waiting for UPS to deliver a Savinelli (tomorrow, the tracking number says) and Australia Post to deliver a 50g tin of Peterson My Mixture 965 (also tomorrow according to Aus Post tracking). Just in time for a Sunday off and a long Anzac Day weekend at a beach shack.
Oooh, I've just ascended to the giddy rank of Junior Member! Thankyou Mods ?

Reactions: jpmcwjr
Status
Not open for further replies.