PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mackeson

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2016
I am a huge fan of the malty/sweet/bready flavors of this tobacco and am often disappointed when I get a batch with no lakeland flavor. To me the perfect blend of complimentary flavors. If you don't like the "lakeland" floral though I understand how this one might be a turn-off

Jan 8, 2013
Wow :rofl: Just wow :rofl: I just read this thread for the first time and... wow :rofl: I just couldn't help but laugh. GH is the only brand worth smoking... the rest of us suck for not smoking it! :rofl: That's basically what I got from it. Pipeman, surely you haven't tried C&D's Black Frigate (and the eyerolling from everyone else to begins... sorry guys but I love the stuff :mrgreen: )It's a great Balkan/English/Aro/Non-Aro/Piratey Blend. No floral-ish or girly bath soapiness flavors added to it though. It's just rummy and sort of smokey, and well.... piratey! :mrgreen: You should give it a try!

pipeman7

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 21, 2017
No floral-ish or girly bath soapiness flavors added to it though
cornell & diehl blends taste like floor scraps. the only place they know how to make good pipe tobacco is Kendal. it's not the most ridiculous assertion considering they are the only ones using 200 year old machines.

Jan 8, 2013
cornell & diehl blends taste like floor scraps.
Which explains why they keep pumping out new blends. They suck so much people are buying their blends out of sympathy... they really just want them to do well so they throw their money at their sucky blends! :rofl: Hahahaa that's rich!

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Again, SG/GH is not using 200 year old equipment. And besides, equipment doesn't impart taste. Tobacco imparts taste. Tobacco from a new press tastes the same as tobacco from an old press.

pipeman7

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 21, 2017
Again, SG/GH is not using 200 year old equipment. And besides, equipment doesn't impart taste. Tobacco imparts taste. Tobacco from a new press tastes the same as tobacco from an old press.
you're missing the entire point. and yes, SG and GH are using 200 year old equipment. In fact they have the oldest machinery still in operation in the world. Equipment might not impart taste, it's the entire process though obviously. the ingredients, the recipes, the methods, etc.
no offense intended to anyone but this isn't like when you start a tobacco company to sell repackaged sutliff bulks. Sam Gawith & GH have been around for hundreds of years and and they are small operation, being made the same way for hundreds of years. somethings are just forgotten over time. pipe tobacco is one of them. except for sam gawith, and gawith & hoggarth. it's not just the equipment

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
I like Lakelands
Only it usually takes a weeks worth of Old Joe Krantz to smoke the ghost of Tonquin Bean from out my mouth. Rum Flake is good, it has the same flavor as the Rum Twist, maybe a tad bit more floral essences. Anyway all the fuss about machinery is about stupid. Either you like something or you don't. Everybody has an opinion, everybody also has an asshole. It's better to give the opinion and allow the asshole to continue being the asshole.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
By the way, I've been guilty of being an asshole. So that's me included. No bully pulpit here.
Has any one smoked C&D Riverboat Gambler?
It's not rum flake but it's good. Just trying out a different conversation. :rofl:

mackeson

Mar 29, 2016
It's better to give the opinion and allow the asshole to continue being the asshole.

:rofl:

Yeah, I've been guilty of that as well.

Most of the time, I find it difficult to convey my silly self-deprecating humor in this format, and end up coming off as a bit of a bombastic jerk instead of the goofball I come off as in real life

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
For what it's worth, Gawith Hoggarth manufactures it's products in an industrial park, next to Momma's Foods and a motorcycle repair shop.
2v2uh1sHFx3L6Bn.jpg

mackeson

Mar 29, 2016
For what it's worth, Gawith Hoggarth manufactures it's products in an industrial park, next to Momma's Foods and a motorcycle repair shop

Yeah, but is it produced by a motorcycle momma? That would be cool

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Dan, I'm sure their precarious financial affairs could be boosted big time if they were to get more of their blends into the States. By all accounts folks over the pond are screaming for them.
Regards,
Jay.

pipeman7

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 21, 2017
Not sure, but I hear that Mamma's Foods offers "Lakeland Lasagne" and "Floral French Fries".

And here's another little tidbit I dug up while nosing around the interwebs: Samuel Gawith was in precarious financial health when they merged with Gawith Hoggarth.
Yea I just really hope SG doesn't go under and somebody buys the name FVF and tries to sell a lane virginia flake under that banner. that would be really sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.