PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
A while back I bought a bit of Rum Flake, based mostly on the name. This afternoon I settled in for a late-day pipe and, much to my dismay, discovered that this stuff is contaminated polluted gently imbued with Lakeland. I detect no rum. Nor do I taste any tobacco, although I know that it's in there.

pipeman7

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 21, 2017
GH & SG make the only good pipe tobacco in the world. It's a little meh to see a guy who is pushing repackaged lane ltd complain about such a high quality blend.

cosmicbobo

Part of the Furniture Now
May 11, 2017
Well, there is always that Bob's Chocolate Vietnamese Pig Tailed Macaque Poo if you want something to complain about

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
@ pipeman... I would agree with you that SG and GH make some high quality blends, EXCEPT for the GH blends that AREN'T scented, but are still contaminated with scent. There are several. They are not the ONLY good manufacturers to boot. :nana:

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
GH & SG make the only good pipe tobacco in the world. It's a little meh to see a guy who is pushing repackaged lane ltd complain about such a high quality blend.
HHMMMmmmmm, now that's a little harsh.Now, lets compare that to the blends you have come up with....

cosmicbobo

Part of the Furniture Now
May 11, 2017
We really need to examine someone who uses a word of dubious origin such as "meh" regardless of its ubiquity. When having sex does one call out the Creator these days or simply scream OMG? I ask you

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
There are lots of GH/SG blends that I love and praise. This ain't one of them. If the label said "High Quality Tobacco Without Rum, Tainted With Perfume", I would have had to say they did a great job on it.

pipeman7

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 21, 2017
It is a scented flake. The flavor does vary by the batch in my experiences. I've had tins that taste like a wet rum cake with strong rum, licorice & vanilla flavors. I've got 500g gram boxes bought fresh and jarred sitting around with no discernable flavor. Rum Flake doesn't usually have a strong floral flavor. But buying a scented Gawith Hoggarth flake and complaining that it has a floral taste is like buying Captain Black and complaining it has no taste

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"It's a little meh to see a guy who is pushing repackaged lane ltd complain about such a high quality blend."
The way I see it Dan was merely passing on his thoughts on a particular blend which is precisely what this forum is for.
Your response was more than harsh, it was downright rude and unnecessary.
Regards,
Jay.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
I have a tin from 2004 that I thought was sealed. All this talk prompted me to pull it. Of course, I found it open with tobacco missing. Dry, but still has that rum/vanilla aroma. It smokes very well with a pleasant room note.

Mike S.

Status
Not open for further replies.