deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
gently imbued with Lakeland
"Gently imbued with Uranium"
"Gently imbued with VX gas"
"Gently imbued with HIV"
Yep, it's one of those things.
I think they just spray the stuff around the factory, to be honest. I've had a few blends like Best Brown No. 4 which had a Lakeland-ish flavor on the cut ends, which makes me think they're using a cleaver dipped in the stuff.
Imagine a serial killer who had weapons soaked in Lakeland essence. The worst way to die, smelling the knife as it comes at you...

I was contemplating GH's Vanilla of late, as I was curious about Vanilla aromatics, but I also wanted some nicotine in my smoke as well, the problem with getting just a couple of oz's of a GH blend is that the samples are inconsistent. Sometimes I order Dark Flake unscented and it has no Lakeland at all and sometimes I wonder if they have confused it with the scented, same with their Curley Cuts, which is supposed to not have any Lakeland. Maybe they guy packing the stuff has just handled another Lakeland just before packing my order, or maybe they store all of the GH blends together in a corner which taints all of them. I now just order a whole box at a time, in hopes of preventing the taint.
Thanks Woods, for the review. While I didn't see your review as an unnecessary slam on the Flake, it is nice to know whether someone tastes that Lakeland taste ina blend, so that those of us who don't like the Lakeland flavor can avoid it. And, of someone likes the Lakeland flavors, maybe they'd be turned on by the review. I see posts like these as very helpful.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
the problem with getting just a couple of oz's of a GH blend is that the samples are inconsistent.
To put it mildly!
Still, some of the best leaf of out... when one can dodge the dreaded Lakeland Essence.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I was hooked on blends with a VA base instead of burley, so I don't smoke American OTC burley; still, most do, and you can't say that the Lakeland houses' tobacco are any better.
C&D puts up their any tobaccos as well as those of GL Pease and Hermit. So these are inferior? Standard Tobacco's?

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
GH & SG make the only good pipe tobacco in the world.
:crazy:
I refuse to buy any crap from GH. All of their shitty tobacco is poisoned with Lakeland even blends that aren't supposed to have it are infected.
SG on the other hand has some decent blends.

pipeman7

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 21, 2017
refuse to buy any crap from GH
This is how I feel about all tobacco except GH & SG. I can't smoke of any of it, sutliff, lane, c&d, glp...seriously hate all that stuff it is UNSMOKEABLE. Of course it makes sense that only one town in the world makes good pipe tobacco since they are using the oldest functioning machinery in use the world

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
"they are using the oldest functioning machinery in use the world"
Not true. The GH plant is now turning out both SG and GH product. I think thst it's a fairly modern plant. That old SG press was for show, and now it's part of a museum display.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Kimbiker that lakeland stuff is like smoking my grandmothers floral soaps from when she was a live 20 years ago.
Pipeman. You're smoking the wrong stuff. I'm not fond of Sutliff or Lane(I've yet to try Sutliff virginia slices though). There's one GLP blend I've found I like.
But there are a great number of other brands with great product these are some that come to mind:

McClelland

Hearth & Home (Manufactured by Sutliff for H&H)

Friborg & Treyer

Butera

Esoterica

Daughters & Ryan

Peter Stokkebye

Germain

McConnell

Rattray's

lazar

Can't Leave
May 5, 2015
I think it's hilarious when people argue about a totally subjective thing like tobacco flavors. You may as well argue Pepsi vs Coke. This coming from a Lakeland smoker, but a Mixture 79 basher.

pipeman7

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 21, 2017
I'm not fond of Sutliff or Lane(I've yet to try Sutliff virginia slices though).
Sorry fitzy we must be living in some alternative dimension because that stuff is not that great. I get it, most of the population just has really bad taste, I've come to accept it now.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Wow. Not seen Germain tobacco poo-poo'd before. I've not had enough GH to comment on consistency, but I've liked what I've tried... Even Ennerdale. 8O

josephcross

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
I’ve been smoking off a sample of Coniston Cut Plug unscented, and it’s loaded with Lakeland.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"I get it, most of the population just has really bad taste, I've come to accept it now."
On the other hand it could just be you. Just because folks don't adore the blends that you do doesn't mean they have bad taste, it just means they have different tastes.
Regards,
Jay.

Status
Not open for further replies.