PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidintexas

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 4, 2013
Dark flake scented and unscented are both good. I prefer the scented myself. Also, with very strong tobaccos I like a little sweetness along with the strength. I highly recommend the coconut twist, maple twist, and rum twist ropes. The sweetness is there but not real strong and in my opinion works well with the tobacco. The cherry twist I have not tried yet so cannot attest to it's flavor.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
1792 has a good flavor but lord! IT BE STRONG.
my half pound will probably last 5 lifetimes.. maybe more.

Reactions: danimalia

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
How come everytime some one brings up high nic, G&H comes up. Is that their gimmick or selling point or just happens to be the way they do things?
Not gimmicky at all, just how they've done it for over 150 years. Strong, full flavored old-timey British tobaccos from a different era, when men smoked tobacco that looked (and sometimes smelled) like dog turds and chest hair was plentiful. Most also died by 50, but I digress... G&H makes prime pipe tobacco, and always has, but it's certainly worlds apart from Captain Black and the like.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I'm working through my first tin and I love it. I expected the flavoring to be really strong, but I don't know if I am immune to tonquin or I just got an odd tin, but it seems pretty nuanced to me. I know most people find it aggressively flavored, so I am curious. Will have to do more experimenting. Nicotine-wise, it is top of the food chain with its dark flake cousins at GHC.

Ironically, I bought Esoterica's And So to Bed the same day, and though I knew it was topped (with ale, I think!), I was stunned by just how aggressive the flavoring was in the tin note and smoke. Like a blast of apricot or some other stone fruit. I hadn't really gotten that impression from what I'd read. I guess everyone's a bit different.

Reactions: artvandelay007

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Dark flake scented and unscented are both good. I prefer the scented myself. Also, with very strong tobaccos I like a little sweetness along with the strength. I highly recommend the coconut twist, maple twist, and rum twist ropes. The sweetness is there but not real strong and in my opinion works well with the tobacco. The cherry twist I have not tried yet so cannot attest to it's flavor.

Thanks for the tip. I haven't had the flavored ropes, but I was considering them for post-Christmas dinner. I want something that has some aromatic qualities for the family, but also the strength to satisfy post-meal. Do you have an opinion on which one has the best room note?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I have to be jealous again. I smoke Gawith blends and ropes in group 5 and 6 pipes. I get no nic hit from smoking a pipe.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I have not smoked any of them. Not because I don't want to try them, but because, at least in the US, they are not easy to obtain.

The ropes and plugs can be hard to find but someone usually has boxes of the dark flake unscented in. Bulk usually runs out rather quick though. Keep an eye out. It'll show up.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
How come everytime some one brings up high nic, G&H comes up. Is that their gimmick or selling point or just happens to be the way they do things?

I don't care for many of their offerings. I'm a lightweight as far as nicotine is concerned. The dark flake unscented, however, is one of those blends that really just wowed me. I have to smoke it in a smaller chamber pipe and even then only after a full meal but man is it tasty.

I recommend based on taste and not nicotine.

Reactions: logs and danimalia

oldmansmoking

May 13, 2017
UK
I like Black & Brown sliced aromatic
the black is more coin cut, the brown shredded.
both excellent tobacco’s.
The aromatic flavour goes away when put in tobacco jar.

oldmansmoking

May 13, 2017
UK

hate 1792 and not strong IMO. G&H black & brown twist Aromatic, and American coconut are my regulars.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It's counter-intuitive, but the GH brown rope is reportedly stronger than the black. I sampled an ounce of the black rope and it was right up there in the full strength category, but certainly smokeable. I didn't feel the need to sample the brown version. For a while, I was on the strong tobacco adventure, but then I climbed down from that and added some aromatics to my rotation as well. The milder blends set off the stronger blends so they don't become ordinary with habit, or so I feel. Tambolaka, an Indonesiation leaf that used to be sold by 4noggins, certainly had a kick, but flavor as well. That was part of my strong tobacco riff. Sometimes a bowl of Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic is just what's needed (on the milder side, I mean).

tkcolo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2018
Granby, CO
I don't understand the nicotine before bed. If I smoke anything after dinner, I am up half the night. I used to be a heavy dipper, and that I would do before bed. But I quit everything for five years and reset my tolerance. Now, I can't smoke anything after 6pm.

Ropes and dark flake are so strong to me, I just can't handle them. 20 min into the bowl and my head is swimming and I feel terrible. I will chew a little rope now and again, but I have to mix it with some minty fresh gum, or else I will hiccup all day.

Status
Not open for further replies.