PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
My example was not about doing the zipper merge. I have no issues there if people drive up to the front. My example is about turning lanes that have cars already stopped, backed up and lining up for a traffic light where someone drives their car up in the straight lane for the traffic light, then 'changes their mind' and pushes in at the front.

Now, I have had to do this at times when I didn't fully understand the intersection, so I'm mindful this can be a legit requirement, however it is somewhat 'amusing' to see this seems to happen most with with Merc and BMW drivers. They also don't seem beyond driving into parking spots that people are waiting for.

To be clear, I don't actually mind people bending or breaking the rules a bit as long as it doesn't impact other people or their safety.
I remember when this study came out - Shockwave traffic jam recreated for first time - https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn13402-shockwave-traffic-jam-recreated-for-first-time/

Before you even get to merging, ramps, exits, etc. humans will cause a traffic jam even in a closed loop with no cars added or removed from the equation.

chilllucky

Lifer
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago, IL, USA
scoosa.com
When I bought my first Jaguar which was an XJ8L and it had a 300 horsepower 32 valve engine that was meant to go fast. The first thing I did was to buy a Valentine 1 radar detector. It gave me full coverage of behind me and the sides and the front. It was designed to protect me from any police radar detector. I never got a ticket. I would drive it to 150 mph on the highway. I would go 80 in a 45mph zone. I bought it to break the speed limits where ever I might be. I drove it hard and that was why I bought it in the first place. Was I a rule breaker??? Hell yeah I was and I loved that car. I loved it so much that I bought another Jag which was the Vanden Plas model. It had those cool burl wood trays in the back seat. It had the same engine as my first one so I knew what the car could do. After a cigar event one night I was racing my buddy who had a BMW M5. At 150 he punched his and left me in the dust. Yeah I am rule breaker. I have always been a rule breaker and I was told by a very successful attorney tell me sure you can break rules but not something where you can go to jail. You can take it to the line but never go over it.

I ran my businesses that way and fortunately for me I was never audited or looked at and I never even got a fine or anything like that no matter what I did. I was prepared in case I was looked at as I made sure I never broke a rule I could go to jail for. I had my attorney , my accountant, and my estate attorney look at what I would do and they would make sure the only thing that could happen was a fine.

I saved so much money with that attitude. When the state of Rhode Island decided that any business no matter how small had to pay half of their employees costs for health insurance, even part timers I said screw that as that would cost me too much money. I fired everyone, took them off the books and paid them cash under the table. My employees loved that and my lawyer said I couldn't go to jail for it.

The state had no right to make laws that could put me out of business. They didn't give a shit about the small business guy, they only cared about taxing me out of business. I was already paying a fortune for state income tax and unemployment insurance. They couldn't have care less about me. They were charging me over 50,000 a year in property taxes and they kept raising that tax every year and they also raised my property value so they got more money every year. In 1990 when I opened my first business (a pool hall), they had a 10% inventory tax. So they wanted money just for stuff I might sell. Then they had a 7% sales tax on anything I sold. It was ridiculous and I refused to play that game. I never registered my business and had no sales tax license. To the state I never existed. I was a ghost and for 20 years my pool hall was open, I was never looked at. I was willing to take the risk as the worst thing that could happen was I could be fined. I never broke a law I could go to jail for. I could just play mickey the dunce and say I didn't understand what the rules were. When I opened the pool hall I never called the appropriate inspectors and I just went for an occupancy permit. They came in to see what I had built and looked at me like I was some kind of retard and I played the part. 2 weeks later I had my occupancy permit. Yeah I knew I was supposed to pull permits but I figured it would go faster if I did it my way.

When I decided I wanted to heat my pool in Rhode Island you were supposed to call Dig Safe. I wasn't about to wait for those guys so I called my plumber and asked what we could do. He looked at the job, told me I had to run 260ft of 2 inch pipe and I would have my 350,000 btu heater in half a day tops. I called my attorney who was going to be in that pool all summer and he said nope, can't go to jail.
My plumber brought in a digger, a few hours later the pipe was laid and then covered over and no one was the wiser. I broke a rule but again I didn't break the law.

In 1999 my neighbor was a Staples plaza. They built this huge wall and after the first rain storm, the wall came down and it was sheer luck no one died. Half of my plaza was wiped out. The plan they had filed with the building inspector was nothing like the wall they built. He should have gone to jail for what he signed off on. Instead they made him chief of the sewage department. This is Rhode Island and the corruption new no end. The inspector should have gone to jail and he didn't. I had no qualms about breaking their rules. I got back at them quite nicely. I have 2 tattoos, one is a celtic symbol that is a father and daughter tattoo. My oldest daughter asked me if I would get a matching tattoo and I could never say no to her so we got them. Once I had one on one arm, I decided I needed another that was a reflection of my life. It was from my favorite band Yes and my favorite song. Here is a pic of it and I pretty much lived my life like what the tattoo says.
I'm just going to point out, politely, that in this tirade/statement of purpose you appealed to the municipal authorities that you refused to fund.

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
Interesting idea put forth by the OP. Perhaps all this rule-breaking has more to do with who/what is making the rules, rather than the rules themselves. Perhaps the realization is setting in that the only freedom man has ever achieved is the freedom to be separated and alienated from his Creator. Perhaps the humans are starting to realize that self-rule isn't all it's cracked up to be. Perhaps people are starting to understand why the religions of the world deliberately distort the wisdom of said Creator, perverting it and giving it the stigma of something out of a Hollywood movie. Perhaps people are starting to reconsider what happens when "Out of One, we are many" becomes "Out of many, we are one."

But I wouldn't count on it.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
When I bought my first Jaguar which was an XJ8L and it had a 300 horsepower 32 valve engine that was meant to go fast. The first thing I did was to buy a Valentine 1 radar detector. It gave me full coverage of behind me and the sides and the front. It was designed to protect me from any police radar detector. I never got a ticket. I would drive it to 150 mph on the highway. I would go 80 in a 45mph zone. I bought it to break the speed limits where ever I might be. I drove it hard and that was why I bought it in the first place. Was I a rule breaker??? Hell yeah I was and I loved that car. I loved it so much that I bought another Jag which was the Vanden Plas model. It had those cool burl wood trays in the back seat. It had the same engine as my first one so I knew what the car could do. After a cigar event one night I was racing my buddy who had a BMW M5. At 150 he punched his and left me in the dust. Yeah I am rule breaker. I have always been a rule breaker and I was told by a very successful attorney tell me sure you can break rules but not something where you can go to jail. You can take it to the line but never go over it.

I ran my businesses that way and fortunately for me I was never audited or looked at and I never even got a fine or anything like that no matter what I did. I was prepared in case I was looked at as I made sure I never broke a rule I could go to jail for. I had my attorney , my accountant, and my estate attorney look at what I would do and they would make sure the only thing that could happen was a fine.

I saved so much money with that attitude. When the state of Rhode Island decided that any business no matter how small had to pay half of their employees costs for health insurance, even part timers I said screw that as that would cost me too much money. I fired everyone, took them off the books and paid them cash under the table. My employees loved that and my lawyer said I couldn't go to jail for it.

The state had no right to make laws that could put me out of business. They didn't give a shit about the small business guy, they only cared about taxing me out of business. I was already paying a fortune for state income tax and unemployment insurance. They couldn't have care less about me. They were charging me over 50,000 a year in property taxes and they kept raising that tax every year and they also raised my property value so they got more money every year. In 1990 when I opened my first business (a pool hall), they had a 10% inventory tax. So they wanted money just for stuff I might sell. Then they had a 7% sales tax on anything I sold. It was ridiculous and I refused to play that game. I never registered my business and had no sales tax license. To the state I never existed. I was a ghost and for 20 years my pool hall was open, I was never looked at. I was willing to take the risk as the worst thing that could happen was I could be fined. I never broke a law I could go to jail for. I could just play mickey the dunce and say I didn't understand what the rules were. When I opened the pool hall I never called the appropriate inspectors and I just went for an occupancy permit. They came in to see what I had built and looked at me like I was some kind of retard and I played the part. 2 weeks later I had my occupancy permit. Yeah I knew I was supposed to pull permits but I figured it would go faster if I did it my way.

When I decided I wanted to heat my pool in Rhode Island you were supposed to call Dig Safe. I wasn't about to wait for those guys so I called my plumber and asked what we could do. He looked at the job, told me I had to run 260ft of 2 inch pipe and I would have my 350,000 btu heater in half a day tops. I called my attorney who was going to be in that pool all summer and he said nope, can't go to jail.
My plumber brought in a digger, a few hours later the pipe was laid and then covered over and no one was the wiser. I broke a rule but again I didn't break the law.

In 1999 my neighbor was a Staples plaza. They built this huge wall and after the first rain storm, the wall came down and it was sheer luck no one died. Half of my plaza was wiped out. The plan they had filed with the building inspector was nothing like the wall they built. He should have gone to jail for what he signed off on. Instead they made him chief of the sewage department. This is Rhode Island and the corruption new no end. The inspector should have gone to jail and he didn't. I had no qualms about breaking their rules. I got back at them quite nicely. I have 2 tattoos, one is a celtic symbol that is a father and daughter tattoo. My oldest daughter asked me if I would get a matching tattoo and I could never say no to her so we got them. Once I had one on one arm, I decided I needed another that was a reflection of my life. It was from my favorite band Yes and my favorite song. Here is a pic of it and I pretty much lived my life like what the tattoo says.
I understand what you just wrote and I understand the point you are making. You have though, just described the classic sociopath to a tee

elessar

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2019
I wish I could drive 90 in a 70, and drink beer on the sidewalk. Those things would be awesome.
I'm lucky to live in a city without an open bottle ordinance. It is perfectly acceptable to drink a beer on the sidewalk, and I do. Get out of hand and certainly there will be consequences, but I have never seen it become a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.