G. L. Pease blends - PG & Chemical Free?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
@glpease hi, I read online that you don’t use PG or any other added chemicals to your blends, and wanted to find out if this is correct?

I’m not sure how often Mr. Pease visits the forum, anyone else know about this?

Thanks

Reactions: kcghost

pipingfool

Can't Leave
Sep 29, 2016
Seattle, WA
He's on occasionally, so he might respond.

As far as his blends being PG or chemical free, he himself has written articles about how just about every blend on the market (which implies his blends as well) has some type of casing, flavoring or other type of additives added to them to help with the overall flavor and/or smokeability of the leaves.

I think you can do a search on this site as well as glpease.com for some of the articles that he has written on the subject.

He as written about PG as well, and that it's not the big, bad boogie-man that it's believed to be when used sparingly or within reason.

To my knowledge, the only GLP blend that is "additive-free" is Union Square, but I don't know the details. Most raw tobacco is cased in some form or fashion, otherwise it just doesn't taste very good, so whether or not that applies to Union Square is beyond my expertise. I would assume that it simply means that the processed leaves have not had any other casings or toppings added to it after blending, but I would just be guessing.

Happy Puffing!

Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
To my knowledge, the only GLP blend that is "additive-free" is Union Square, but I don't know the details. Most raw tobacco is cased in some form or fashion, otherwise it just doesn't taste very good, so whether or not that applies to Union Square is beyond my expertise.
Union Square is a great smoke that just gets better and better. YMMV

pipingfool

Can't Leave
Sep 29, 2016
Seattle, WA
Union Square is a great smoke that just gets better and better. YMMV
I'll admit, I haven't tried it yet. I've just read the reviews and some of Greg's writings about it.

But it sounds like something that I would love. As it stands right now I've got enough tobacco in my cellar to last until my kids retire, but with Stonehenge (my favorite GLP blend) out of commission for the foreseeable future, maybe I'll divert some tobacco funds to US.

Reactions: AppalachianPipe92
Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
I'll admit, I haven't tried it yet. I've just read the reviews and some of Greg's writings about it.

But it sounds like something that I would love. As it stands right now I've got enough tobacco in my cellar to last until my kids retire, but with Stonehenge (my favorite GLP blend) out of commission for the foreseeable future, maybe I'll divert some tobacco funds to US.
I've quit opening my Stonehenge tins for that reason, but have found many more from GLP that i love. Temple Bar is a fine smoke.
I've found I like more GLP blends than I do C&D and I'm not sure the how or why of that.

Reactions: Fralphog

pipingfool

Can't Leave
Sep 29, 2016
Seattle, WA
I've quit opening my Stonehenge tins for that reason, but have found many more from GLP that i love. Temple Bar is a fine smoke.
I've found I like more GLP blends than I do C&D and I'm not sure the how or why of that.
I've always wanted to try Temple Bar/Regent's Flake.

Besides the C&D Small Batch Blends, GLP blends make up the majority of my cellar. Fillmore is one of my favorites and Quiet Nights is one of the only English/Balkans that I regularly smoke.

Sounds like I need to put together a Union Square/Temple Bar order!

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
As for Mr. Pease using PG, I’ve only read online at various places that said he doesn’t.

I just ordered Telegraph Hill, it’s on it’s way.

Besides this post, I assumed with vacuum sealed bags like KBV uses, then there would be no need for these things.

Reactions: ThermionicScott

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Casing and topping are flavor agents. PG and other humectant are basically to keep tobacco moisture. I never had and chemical taste from GLP blends. Most GLP blends are packed by C&D. Here is his answer.

"Q: Why are many "drugstore" blends packaged so moist?

A: The most obvious answer is that a tobacco that is packaged dry can crumble during the packing process, during shipping, and while being roughly handled by ruthless stockers. Sufficient moisture must be present to keep the leaf pliable. But, there's another important consideration. In order for a tobacco blend to meld and age over time, there must be sufficient moisture to support these natural processes.

Of course, some of the pouched tobaccos that are sold at the drug-store must be moist enough to survive unpredictable storage conditions and stay "fresh" on the shelves over time. Most of these tobaccos are moistened with humectants like propylene glycol to preserve moisture over a wide range of storage conditions.

GLPease tobaccos are moistened with water only, and are packed at the optimal moisture level for proper storage and aging. If you find the tobacco slightly too moist for your preferred smoking style, just leave the tin open for a short while. Since no humectants are added during blending, the tobacco can be dried to your taste very easily. It's much easier to dry tobacco slightly than to add moisture!"

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
One thing I forgot to ask, I wonder if anyone knows, if you dry out tobacco crisp, if the PG is then evaporated/dried away?

hmm 🤔

P.S. We have any chemists in the house?

Over my years here, I’ve seen people come on and accuse Greg of adding PG to his blends, over and over. Usually, the reason they do this is because his tobaccos are so moist in the tins. He comes on and says no PGs are added, and that their worries are the results of awesome tins.
It gets old, and it’s probably why he doesn’t come on here any more. The man says no PGs. What the hell more do people want?

Google old posts or something.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Over my years here, I’ve seen people come on and accuse Greg of adding PG to his blends, over and over. Usually, the reason they do this is because his tobaccos are so moist in the tins. He comes on and says no PGs are added, and that their worries are the results of awesome tins.
It gets old, and it’s probably why he doesn’t come on here any more. The man says no PGs. What the hell more do people want?

Google old posts or something.

I actually was looking online for several days before making this post, but I didn’t see him mentioning this personally, only other people saying that his blends didn’t.

Actually, after digging around on his site, I see it’s mentioned, he only uses water. :)

Q: Why are many "drugstore" blends packaged so moist?

A: The most obvious answer is that a tobacco that is packaged dry can crumble during the packing process, during shipping, and while being roughly handled by ruthless stockers. Sufficient moisture must be present to keep the leaf pliable. But, there's another important consideration. In order for a tobacco blend to meld and age over time, there must be sufficient moisture to support these natural processes.

Of course, some of the pouched tobaccos that are sold at the drug-store must be moist enough to survive unpredictable storage conditions and stay "fresh" on the shelves over time. Most of these tobaccos are moistened with humectants like propylene glycol to preserve moisture over a wide range of storage conditions.

GLPease tobaccos are moistened with water only, and are packed at the optimal moisture level for proper storage and aging. If you find the tobacco slightly too moist for your preferred smoking style, just leave the tin open for a short while. Since no humectants are added during blending, the tobacco can be dried to your taste very easily. It's much easier to dry tobacco slightly than to add moisture!

Last edited:
Reactions: cosmicfolklore

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
@PipeIT have you tried playing around with whole leaf yet? Or even homegrown? I think with your wellness focused lifestyle and sensitive palette you might find a lot of success there.

I think for now, I’ll be sticking to the G.L. Pease line, until I can find other unadulterated blends, if possible. People have been saying that Vincent Manil’s blends are also free.

As for whole leaf and homegrown, hmm maybe one day. 🤙

Reactions: anotherbob