PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Skippy B. Coyote

Can't Leave
Jun 19, 2023
St. Paul, MN
I think you'll enjoy it a lot! Full Virginia Flake is a lovely tobacco, and very similar to Mac Baren's HH Pure Virginia if you've had that before. The big difference is that (to me at least) the primary flavor note of Full Virginia Flake is a tea sort of flavor, a little green and a little black, whereas with HH Pure Virginia the most forward note is a bready one; like a loaf freshly baked whole meal bread cooling on the hearth. In any case, they're both very good dark Virginia flakes and well worth a try!

My only tips for Full Virginia Flake would be to give it a much longer dry time than you'd usually give a Virginia before smoking. Rub out a flake and dry it until you think it's ready to smoke, then give it another 20 minutes or half hour of drying and be prepared to still relight your pipe rather frequently. It's a bit troublesome mechanically speaking, but worth the effort!puffy

Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
I think you'll enjoy it a lot! Full Virginia Flake is a lovely tobacco, and very similar to Mac Baren's HH Pure Virginia if you've had that before. The big difference is that (to me at least) the primary flavor note of Full Virginia Flake is a tea sort of flavor, a little green and a little black, whereas with HH Pure Virginia the most forward note is a bready one; like a loaf freshly baked whole meal bread cooling on the hearth. In any case, they're both very good dark Virginia flakes and well worth a try!

My only tips for Full Virginia Flake would be to give it a much longer dry time than you'd usually give a Virginia before smoking. Rub out a flake and dry it until you think it's ready to smoke, then give it another 20 minutes or half hour of drying and be prepared to still relight your pipe rather frequently. It's a bit troublesome mechanically speaking, but worth the effort!puffy
Great comparison. I tend to enjoy HH Pure Virginia more. I favor the sweet bread notes of it, and it's a lot easier to get going.

Skippy B. Coyote

Can't Leave
Jun 19, 2023
St. Paul, MN
Great comparison. I tend to enjoy HH Pure Virginia more. I favor the sweet bread notes of it, and it's a lot easier to get going.

Agreed! HH Pure Virginia is my favorite dark Virginia flake (Sutliff 507C Virginia Slices is my favorite bright Virginia) since I really enjoy that naturally sweet breadiness, and it's very non-fussy to smoke. Most of the time I don't even need to give HH Pure Virginia any dry time, I just rub out a flake, pack it, and go. Relights are minimal too. Full Virginia Flake on the other hand is a pretty high maintenance smoke in every respect! 😅

litup

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2015
Sacramento, CA
Once upon a time, I would have greeted this news with enthusiastic buying. But the new silver tins are sealed with a flimsy cellophane band and a half-hearted attempt at vacuum sealing and I have little confidence I could smoke many tins before some of them go bad.

I plan to buy a tin or two for smoking now but if they sell out before I get around to it, I will have the most "meh" of reactions.

Reactions: JOHN72 and seanv