PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

billbearcat

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 3, 2011
That is an impressive collection. Those four look great. I may need to pick one up. Maybe I can talk the boss into it after PCS'ing.

Sinan Altinok

Lurker
Aug 27, 2011
Ankara, Turkey
Medet has been one of my good friends for many years after I started my pipe business. He is one of the master carvers here who signs his pipes sometimes as Medet sometimes as Emin. Emin was the name of his father. I thought sharing this would shed light on a bit.

mike73

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 20, 2013
Awesome post here and a great way to get some info on Turkish meerschaum carvers.

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
Thanks Sinan, I didn't know that.... Thank you very much for that information. I have several Emin and Medet pipes. I'm proud to smoke and handle them. They are treasures to me.... I treat them like my kids....

saint007

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 22, 2013
Very nice Top D, love the new pipe!
I find that the yellow bees wax helps bring in the color much quicker. Could be that the wax migrates to the bottom as the bowl heats up and already has some color due to the yellow wax.
I've been looking at getting another Tekin/Emin pipe from the classic series from meerqueen. But, seeing your new claw, I might need another claw pipe :wink:

Jul 12, 2011
Sweet Meers TopD :worship:
Got some major Meer PAD right now...

screenshot-from-2014-06-24-202450-600x399.png

The Father's Day gift from my two Sons

002-638-0025.jpg

shortyeastcoast

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 28, 2013
TopD How do you go about handling your meers? Woolite cleaned satin white gloves? Hourly wax and polish treatments? Or do you just smoke em like a normal cob or briar?
I love all these fancy meers but I fear they would take too much effort.

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
Hey shorty... The only thing I do differently with my meerschaums than with my cobs or briers is to thoroughly wash my hands before handling them... I only have one pipe that I've ever added bee's wax to as an experiment. I don't set them down on/in anything but the case that was made for them or bang them on an ashtray cork to remove ash.

Sinan Altinok

Lurker
Aug 27, 2011
Ankara, Turkey
Hi Gary! It's great to hear from you again. I'm delightedly remembering those beautiful days at the Chicago Show '05 with all you guys from Stoker's Haven. What a group it was! All nice people and lots of laughters.

leacha

Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
This thread has given me a carved meer PAD. I see a meer appearing on my Christmas list.

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
With the recent interest in this thread and the folks becoming more inclined toward getting a meerschaum, I thought I'd post an update on the pipe I started this with. I can't tell you how happy I am with the way this pipe smokes, and with how it's coloring. I don't know what Mr. Emin did, but it's been quit a surprise. He may have double dipped the shank, I don't know. But I love it....! I have done nothing other than smoke it, which hasn't been much actually. I'll smoke it more during the winter when I'm relaxed in my chair.

quincy

Feb 7, 2013
I have a Tekin and I absolutely adore it. My wife ordered it from Meerqueen and couldn't believe how quickly it got here...

Status
Not open for further replies.