PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
That's a lot of generalizing. Pipe enjoyment is subjective to the individual and most of the time I'm on the go when smoking. Savor is an overused and often wrongly used word. It just means to fully enjoy and you don't necessarily have to slow down to fully enjoy smoking a pipe.
words mean what we take them to mean. If people keep using a word to imply something it starts to take on that meaning. Because language is weird.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Forgot to add; A U.S. Surgeon General report found that pipe smokers who inhale have the same life expectancy as a non-smoker.
Unadulterated tobacco is not as bad as the shrieking anti-tobacco brigade would have one believe.
Frankly, I have respectfully to disagree, unfortunately,these like 'upliftig'reports do not always correspond to reality, any tobacco when inhaled will have negative affects on health, factory made cigarettes being the worst, but Roll You Own,pipetobacco or Cigars when inhaled or even without doing so ,are not harm free by any means,believing otherwise seems me nothing more like self -delusion

jrharrigan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 27, 2020
I quit cigarettes (once) by smoking cigars. It can be done, it's just very, very difficult.

I am 6 years or so from my last cigarette. I can tell you that I love both pipes and cigars. But god, there are days all I can think about are cigarettes.

First, I have not read every post in this thread. So, if I repeat or step on feet, it's unintentional.

My experience with making the transition from cigs to pipes is that it can't just be a smooth switch. The nicotine hit and control it has over you when smoking cigarettes is way different from how nicotine with pipesmoking works.

You actually ingest more nicotine from pipes, but through the small blood vessels of your mouth and sinuses over a longer period of time. Cigarettes is a smaller dose, but more quickly pumped into your blood stream through your lungs. It should seem obvious, but many miss this fact. Many will even say that they don't ingest the nicotine at all.

But, I found that quitting cigarettes first, is key. Just quit for a few months, get that out of your system, and deal with all of those negative reactions. You can't avoid it. It's got to happen.

Then, as you take up your pipe, you are going to feel something missing from each smoke. This is the lung-feel of smoking. You're body is going to make your brain try to trick you over and over into inhaling. Nicotine is powerful like that. Some will try to slip a few inhales in, and I did this at the start, but it is hard to retrain yourself out of it. Best to just keep it consciously in your mind NOT to inhale.

Choose a stronger tobacco. Maybe look for medium high to high scored nic hitters in the pipe tobacco reviews section. If you can, smoke throughout the day, but avoid smoking at all when you are limited to less than half an hour. There is no quick fix in pipes. 30 minutes will not give you anything positive. Being limited to 30 minutes is how cigarettes got started in the first place. It's just not possible. But, maybe a morning smoke, lunch smoke, and a few evening smokes will give you a tobacco taste fix, and get your brain off of missing that lung feel.

I hope this helps. Good luck. Quit those nasty cigarettes.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
"Hey" from central North Carolina. My late wife (I'm remarried some years after her passing) quit a heavy cigarette habit through a Lung Assn. class, smoking only at a smoking station where she kept all her smoked cigarettes in a big mason jar for negative unappetizing reinforcement. It was her third attempt to quit, but it worked, and I quit the pipe in solidarity, only smoking the occasional cigar when away on business trips. I told her about those. I've never smoked cigs, accept as a young kid on occasion, but I know the struggle. Now I smoke about one pipe bowl a day, sometimes two, sometimes none.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Frankly, I have respectfully to disagree, unfortunately,these like 'upliftig'reports do not always correspond to reality, any tobacco when inhaled will have negative affects on health, factory made cigarettes being the worst, but Roll You Own,pipetobacco or Cigars when inhaled or even without doing so ,are not harm free by any means,believing otherwise seems me nothing more like self -delusion
Believing that there's little difference between inhaling 300-600 added chemicals and smoking unadulterated tobacco is not self delusion? Huh.

Given the choice between the facts, my experience [switching from tailor-made ciggies to a pipe] and sheer commonsense or an opinion rooted in fear, disinfo and the need to insult those who err, cough, "respectfully disagree" [always the sign of a lame argument] I'll choose the former every time.

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
smoking unadulterated tobacco
That's nearly nonexistent in commercial tobacco. Almost all pipe blends are cased. Latakia is produced by burning plant material to flavor it and all burning plant material produces carcinogens. Just imagine what's all over those black ribbons.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
That's nearly nonexistent in commercial tobacco. Almost all pipe blends are cased. Latakia is produced by burning plant material to flavor it and all burning plant material produces carcinogens. Just imagine what's all over those black ribbons.
So you're comparing a tiny bit of sugar to 300-600 chemicals?

Latakia? The same is said about the charring on a grilled steak. *shrugs shoulders*
Not that I smoke a lot of Latakia [I'm not into Latakia dominant blends]
I take your point but again, are you really comparing that to the 300-600 chemicals that are added to cigarettes?

Reactions: garywlee

BeachBumBri

Lurker
Apr 9, 2021
Jacksonville Beach, Fl
Brand new member here, so I should probably post an intro first...but I'm doing the same transition. I'd like to second some good suggestions.

Virginias, burleys, etc. I second that. Someone suggested some C&D blends I have not yet tried (Now on my list) I'd add their Virgin Gentleman to that list.

I also second the suggestion to avoid aromatics. At least for the time being.

Cobs. Get a couple. If for no other reason than to have a rotation. If I had it to do over again I would not have spent money on cheap briar. One good briar and a couple cobs for starters.

Small pipes. Two I have enjoyed: savinelli minuto and a Ropp billiard I got from a good online vendor. The minuto actually uses slim cigarette filters and is designed to use shag tobacco. But you can use better tobacco than that. The Ropp is a little larger and is a nice little pipe. I believe it's about $20 cheaper than the minuto. I smoked the Ropp this morning with some virginia and a cup of coffee.

I prefer larger pipes than these, but I do still break out the smaller ones when I only have a little time.

Anyway, hi, I'm Brian.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Brand new member here, so I should probably post an intro first...but I'm doing the same transition. I'd like to second some good suggestions.

Virginias, burleys, etc. I second that. Someone suggested some C&D blends I have not yet tried (Now on my list) I'd add their Virgin Gentleman to that list.

I also second the suggestion to avoid aromatics. At least for the time being.

Cobs. Get a couple. If for no other reason than to have a rotation. If I had it to do over again I would not have spent money on cheap briar. One good briar and a couple cobs for starters.

Small pipes. Two I have enjoyed: savinelli minuto and a Ropp billiard I got from a good online vendor. The minuto actually uses slim cigarette filters and is designed to use shag tobacco. But you can use better tobacco than that. The Ropp is a little larger and is a nice little pipe. I believe it's about $20 cheaper than the minuto. I smoked the Ropp this morning with some virginia and a cup of coffee.

I prefer larger pipes than these, but I do still break out the smaller ones when I only have a little time.

Anyway, hi, I'm Brian.
Hi Brian, welcome aboard from Central Kentucky!

Duane

garywlee

Lurker
Dec 5, 2020
Woodbridge, VA
First, I have not read every post in this thread. So, if I repeat or step on feet, it's unintentional.

My experience with making the transition from cigs to pipes is that it can't just be a smooth switch. The nicotine hit and control it has over you when smoking cigarettes is way different from how nicotine with pipesmoking works.

You actually ingest more nicotine from pipes, but through the small blood vessels of your mouth and sinuses over a longer period of time. Cigarettes is a smaller dose, but more quickly pumped into your blood stream through your lungs. It should seem obvious, but many miss this fact. Many will even say that they don't ingest the nicotine at all.

But, I found that quitting cigarettes first, is key. Just quit for a few months, get that out of your system, and deal with all of those negative reactions. You can't avoid it. It's got to happen.

Then, as you take up your pipe, you are going to feel something missing from each smoke. This is the lung-feel of smoking. You're body is going to make your brain try to trick you over and over into inhaling. Nicotine is powerful like that. Some will try to slip a few inhales in, and I did this at the start, but it is hard to retrain yourself out of it. Best to just keep it consciously in your mind NOT to inhale.

Choose a stronger tobacco. Maybe look for medium high to high scored nic hitters in the pipe tobacco reviews section. If you can, smoke throughout the day, but avoid smoking at all when you are limited to less than half an hour. There is no quick fix in pipes. 30 minutes will not give you anything positive. Being limited to 30 minutes is how cigarettes got started in the first place. It's just not possible. But, maybe a morning smoke, lunch smoke, and a few evening smokes will give you a tobacco taste fix, and get your brain off of missing that lung feel.

I hope this helps. Good luck. Quit those nasty cigarettes.
That's a fantastic way to lay it out!!! Great points!!!

Cheers

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
Hello there
I'm a cigarette smoker right now but I would change it to tobacco pipe . Would you guide me in this way?
Thanks all members who does answer me .
Amir hossein
One thing that will occur is you never have to litter when you pitch your spent cigarette out the car window (if you ever did such) . I just watched a lady do that without any hesitation at all that she was polluting the parking lot with her trash.

Since pipes cost something and are reusable, you hardly ever see them strewn about. ....lol!!

Reactions: garywlee

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
Due to health reasons (Abdominal Aortic Aneurism), I've had to give up the cigarettes (pack a day). I haven't had a cigarette in 2 weeks. What is helping me more than the pipe is using dip (Grizzly, Stokers, Kodiak). I only smoke about 5 bowls a day. The rest of the time it has been dip. It's not easy and there are times I'd kill for just one cigarette. When it gets that bad, I just say to myself "I don't smoke cigarettes" over and over again and throw in a pinch of dip. The urge for a cig passes in about 5 minutes. My wife has given up the cigs to support me. I'll turn 75 in April and the wife will turn 73 in September. Seems sometimes that it's too little too late.

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
Due to health reasons (Abdominal Aortic Aneurism), I've had to give up the cigarettes (pack a day). I haven't had a cigarette in 2 weeks. What is helping me more than the pipe is using dip (Grizzly, Stokers, Kodiak). I only smoke about 5 bowls a day. The rest of the time it has been dip. It's not easy and there are times I'd kill for just one cigarette. When it gets that bad, I just say to myself "I don't smoke cigarettes" over and over again and throw in a pinch of dip. The urge for a cig passes in about 5 minutes. My wife has given up the cigs to support me. I'll turn 75 in April and the wife will turn 73 in September. Seems sometimes that it's too little too late.
Wishing you a large measure of perseverance, my friend.

Reactions: MattRVA and ray47
Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
though the lungs are way more hurt by those chemicals then the oral cavity. It's kind of designed to take more then the lungs are. Also not really true because of all the crazy additives in cigs, look up that list might help you stick with the pipe.
I was about to say this. I thought cigarettes had a lot more additives to make the inhalation smoother and also addictive.

MtnGeo

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 29, 2021
Loveland, CO
Hi Amir, and welcome to the forum, from northern Colorado. There is a lot of good information to be gained here.

Status
Not open for further replies.