rKgN9Lj.jpg

HUbhR6t.jpg

Mp6fSko.jpg

EggoOFg.jpg

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Oh yeah, now you're getting the idea, Chris!

You asked for critiques and you got em and you took them to heart and made it much more refined, without losing the character of your pipe.

While 'warts and all' approaches are fine, what you're doing is refining your skills.

You've already come a long way, baby!

I'm curious as to how you think the change has affected the ergonomics? Do you think it felt better in hand with the shank belly?

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
Thank you all.

Mike, Lots of good info from the folks on the PMF. I found out that not all things you think are straight, are straight.

Space here for the necessary gags and comments before continuing.
As I chased the lines on the stem/shank I got curious about the piece of cast off I was using as a straight edge so I checked it and found that it had a few very small bumps especially on the tips. So I rummaged around and found something better that I checked and IS straight and flat until I can purchase the machined billet steel blocks suggested by PMF members.

I got a bit too aggressive at the bowl/shank interface and it curves in where it shouldn't. Next one will be better.

I got some really great feedback on cutting the slot that will also be incorporated on next attempts and I did get rid of the hour-glass restriction that was in the airway.
I like the ergonomics of this iteration much better. At least to me, it feels better in the hand than the former with the shank belly. It has beautiful draw!

Practice, practice, and still more practice.

ben88

Lifer
Jun 5, 2015
Quebec
Very nice pipe, as usual, Chris.

But for my taste, I would took out more wood.

I think shank sides should be paralleled and the radiuses on top and the bottom should be equal.

fa3rc2.jpg

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
Thanks Leon, did you by chance see the pictures of the way I changed it up? I think the 'new' look is more along the lines of what you are referring to.

Thanks for your input.

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
I am not sure what 'blocks' you are looking for, but snoop out machinists' parallels and 123 blocks. Both can be had cheaply and are for all practical purposes flat and straight.
For example, these 123 blocks are about 8 bucks on ebay and are ground within .0003", which should be close enough for wood working. Three tenths is pretty close.
s-l1600.jpg

And anothre example, a 20 piece set of parallels is 35 bucks from Harbor Freight. Smaller sets can be had used on ebay too.
image_18520.jpg

ben88

Lifer
Jun 5, 2015
Quebec
Yes, Chris, I see a difference. I just would've taken out a bit more.

May be it's my lack of imagination and "artistic note"....

I can't even draw to save my life :D

Status
Not open for further replies.