PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rogermugs

Might Stick Around
Mar 10, 2013
Hi All,

I've been wanting to get my hands on this oft-talked about blend for about a year... I hear its slightly cavendish-ized latakia... which makes it flavorful, but mild. I finally got a tin and have smoked one bowl. It's utterly amazing. The flavor is so.... different. I don't know. I'm not a regular latakia guy. I smoke a lot of english blends, but not strong latakia. The closest I've had to this was Samuel Gawith's Balkin flake, and this is much different.

Anyhow. I'm blown away by the distinctiveness of the latakia. But I cant yet tell if I love it, or hate it.
Any input? What do you love about this blend? Help me fall in love...

jeff394

Lurker
Mar 7, 2013
With the Frog, I usually get a salty, smoky flavor on the tongue, and a bit of dark chocolate when exhaled through the nose.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I just had my 2nd tin of Cellar and strange as it sounds, I felt like I was smoking a completely different tobacco. Not sure if it's my mediocre taste buds or if they mixed up the tobaccos.
My first batch had an aromatic look, feel and taste which I enjoyed quite a lot. This new batch smells and tastes exactly like I would have expected from a latakia blend, like a campfire. Not bad - but so different from what I recall with my first tin.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Thanks rothnh. Sad to say, I didn't keep the first tin. This new batch is okay, but not nearly as good as the first batch I had. So did they get their ingredients incorrect or did they simply put in the wrong tobacco?
And I just bought 17 tins based on the taste of the first one! Not sure I want 17 tins of the 2nd. It will be incredible to me if the first one was a mistake and the 2nd is the true Cellar. I kinda hate to open another of the 17 to see if it's more like the first tin or the 2nd, but I am tempted to do so.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Well, I went and opened a third tin and lo and behold, it's exactly like the second - so I am led to believe that my first tin was something else. The weird thing is, FMC is often called an aro or a crossover, and my first tin definitely fit that bill.
These other two tins are so different and I certainly wouldn't classify them as aros. Oh well. It's not a terrible smoke, but I never would have bought 17 tins based on these last two tins.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
well whatever - sorry i posted. I am gone - see you guys!
8O
If it's based on rothnh's use of the word "presumptuous", I would re-read his post. I was an English major (and teacher) and the word presumptuous is of those odd words that can be misconstrued. Sort of like the word "ignorant", which when used correctly isn't really an insult, and yet many would be insulted if it was applied to them.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
If it's based on rothnh's use of the word "presumptuous", I would re-read his post. I was an English major (and teacher) and the word presumptuous is of those odd words that can be misconstrued. Sort of like the word "ignorant", which when used correctly isn't really an insult, and yet many would be insulted if it was applied to them.
I agree 100%. While roth is often both presumptuous and ignorant, he's actually a pretty nice guy. And occasionally he has really insightful things to say or has good info on particular tobaccos. For those rare moments, we keep him around.
But in all seriousness, freehand, I think he was just making a general point about product consistency, nothing personal.

connolse

Lurker
Feb 20, 2010
I'm with Freehand. I stopped participating in this forum actively some time ago precisely because of people like roth. To each his own, but I prefer civility and kindness as the hallmark of a gentleman, as every true pipe smoker is.
I too have noticed inconsistency in the FM line. But I suppose that is because I am ignorant and presumptuous, and roth will set me straight.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I too have noticed inconsistency in the FM line
Intersesting - I've not heard anyone else say this, but mine was definitely two different batches. Maybe FMC is inconsistent.
I'm with Freehand. I stopped participating in this forum actively some time ago precisely because of people like roth. To each his own, but I prefer civility and kindness as the hallmark of a gentleman, as every true pipe smoker is.
Maybe it's just me, but roth's comment could be taken two ways. Based on roth's input so far, I lean towards it being benign. Technically speaking, it would be presumptuous to take the experience of one person as the norm. I think that's all he meant, but I'll let roth defend himself if he feels the need.

bigboi

Lifer
Nov 12, 2012
I can speak for at least FMOTT. I have tried two different tins so far and both have been pretty consistent. Not sure about the FMC though.

bobpnm

Lifer
Jul 24, 2012
Panama City, Florida
I am now smoking my fourth tin of Cellar. All four bought from Smoking Pipes at the same time. The first was a 50gr tin. The other three 100gr tins. I did notice a slight difference in taste between the two different size tins. Seemed to me to even out after the larger tins were open for a while. I'm no expert for sure. Just my impression. Love the stuff though!
Edit: Roth, I would have taken no offense at all if your post had been directed at me.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I only have the one tin -- but it definitely seemed like an aromatic (though, as we've discussed elsewhere, it's not actually cased). Lots of bourbon flavor. Kind of sticky/ moist. Must have been an early batch? Date code reads: 470112

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
I"ve smoked 2 tins , 50grams, and noticed a slight difference and it could be the stave in the can, tobbasco is made in casks and we used to get the mash from some friends that worked at Avery Island, mash is the solid mushy pepper paste at btm of the barrel, we used it for cooking seasoning and there was differences from barrel to barrel.Now lets get down to business, freehand come back and post, don"t get your panties in a knot, Roth didn"t mean a damn thing, he"s got too much education and uses words sometimes most us fellows don" t understand , that being said I have seen him go out of his way to help, get information for anyone, Now you Con man you done pissed me off, 30 posts and you know Roth throughout, shame on you for casting such a unfair net on this man.thats my story and I"m sticking to it

dervis

Lifer
Jan 30, 2012
Hazel Green AL
Well kinda on topic kinda not maybe. Wilderness by them is a daily smoke for me. Out of ten or more opened I did have one that was "off" I myself mixed it with a "right" tin and all worked out. As far as the other junk I like a good fight but ones not here to be had. Nothing even half way offensive was said. He said how to never take one persons word over your own experience. At least what I read. Happy puffs guys.

batdemon

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 20, 2011
Six, you should gather up all of those tins and send them to me. It is obvious that they were filled with a defective blend, I will dispose of them properly for you.

boudreaux

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2013
Uh-oh...

My first 50g tin of FMC was one I picked up at a local B&M. It seemed to live up to expectations. Since I'd smoked it in a practically new pipe and it tasted so good, I dove in and ordered 6 100g tins, my reasoning being that it would be even better as I broke in the pipes and developed a nice cake.
Now I'm wondering. We'll see when it arrives.
Another thought, Six -

Did you smoke the tobacco from the second and third tins in the same pipe that you used for the first tin? Maybe that accounts for a slight difference in taste?
I found out tonight something that I'm sure that many of you more experienced pipe smokers have stated elsewhere in this forum - the size of the bowl seems to have a bearing on the "quality" of the smoke. Other characteristics of the pipe come into play as well - the draw, the cake, etc.

rogermugs

Might Stick Around
Mar 10, 2013
wow...

um... thanks to the first two of you who actually told me what you tasted in FM... all the FMC or FMOTT or OTB... um... thanks? derailed people. failure.

anyhoo. good discussion.
curious what any of the rest of you love about FM if you get to it.

for the record I taste nothing reminiscent of an aromatic unless it's the cavendish-ified process people suspect is used with the latakia....

Status
Not open for further replies.