PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

atjurhs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 19, 2017
I finally ran out of my Frog Morton. What would be a good substitute?

thanks!

Todd

Bax Burley

Can't Leave
Jul 20, 2021
Pennsylvania
I never had Frog Morton, but I have heard more than one person compare MM American Patriot to Frog Morton Cellar, and I have heard more than one person compare Sutliff Mature Red Virginia to the McLelland Reds. I hope this helps.

• Haha
Reactions: aquadoc

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Right, no matches available. Start finding out what other premium Virginia and Va/Pers you like, with maybe a pinch of something else that makes it even better for you. Try to concentrate and not compare it to Mc's. Your problem is the market is vast, so sample small portions and see what you can find.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Don’t know which FM you are talking about, if you told us, you might get better responses.

If Cellar, try Plum Pudding Bourbon Barrel Aged (or whatever it’s called). I like it much better than Cellar.

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
I’ve only smoked FM original and that was ages ago. There are some great sweet Latakia blends out there that may not duplicate the FM experience but are wonderful in a similar genre. A few to try for their own merits:

Watch City Persian Slipper- oriental forward with some cavendish
Wilke Lizzie Blood Red English
Silems/John Ayelsbury Black
Edward G Robinson (not a lot of Latakia but a great blend!)
Samuel Gawith Perfection - traditional English with a hint of Vanilla.

Reactions: Kal and hawky454

jewman22

Lifer
Apr 2, 2021
Ontario Canada
While there are no blends that capture the quality and magic of the Frog.
If we are talking the original (Frog on a log), then Kramer's Father Dempsey is solid, but Boswell Northwoods is likely the closest I've found, even though it is quite pricey I only bought 2oz.
But to echo the opinions of others, there is no match, and likely never will be. All we can do is appreciate that it existed at all.
Iv'e found my solace in Presbyterian, no it's not anywhere near the same, but something that makes me feel that same magic with every bowl that the Frog did.

Reactions: ofafeather

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
I came up with a blend that is very similar to Frog Morton Cellar, topped with Bourbon. Problem is, it's made mostly with McClelland tobaccos...

While Frog Morton Cellar is a good blend, and I still have a few tins left, I wouldn't go out of my way to source it, especially at the prices it commands nowadays.

I guess if I had to have something that was close to Frog Morton, I would go with Esot Penzance.

americaman

Part of the Furniture Now
May 1, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
Forget what everyone is saying. The closest I’ve found is Lane HGL. Nothing will be the same, but HGL gave me the most similar taste experience as Frog Morton and other McClelland bulk blends that are similar to Frog Morton. If McClelland was selling HGL no one would know the difference.

Of course, there is the chance some one will come in here and say HGL isn’t close, just like I’ve told you to forget what everyone else has said.

boston

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2018
Boston
I tried to find a substitute, but failed. So I spent some time on pipestud and made sure I padded my cellar adequately. Not everyone likes this blend but it checks off alot of boxes for me. I will say that 965 ( not close to a clone of FM and stronger in all ways ) checks off some of the same boxes. Perhaps the Cavendish in 965 that I find sweet. But frog has better /different/ deeper Virginia. Not a surprise.

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
There is none, not imho ; so on a mere notion I started hoarding before they went out of business.
There's is a nice stack aging in the eerie cellar, also FM on the Town and ( how appropriate ) FM's Cellar ; in due time I'll probably have to dispose of some tins.