PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
Most people are unaware of anything to do with Alcoholics Anonymous, or its sister group AL-ANON, until they're compelled to in desperation by personal or family circumstances. For many self is the greatest adversary one can face---whether they recognize or are willing to admit it or not. Admitting one's powerlessness is the greatest manifestation of individual courage and the embarkation point for every journey of spiritual growth.

Lyon0oq

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 31, 2012
New Providence, NJ
“Friends of Bill” is an old-school way of referring to members of Alcoholics Anonymous—circa the 1950s. I’ve never heard of Doctor Bob, though. (But, then, I’m not part of a recovery community.)

Yes, you nailed it. I am actually reading the early story of Dr. Bob in a book study right now, I guess I added him to the phrase without really thinking about it. Or maybe in the back of my head I thought it would provide more clarity for the post. I didn't want to just throw up a post titled AA... because some have had negative experiences with the program and the last thing I want to do is cause any fuss on here. This entire community is SO good at staying away from the divisive topics that plague most on-line sites, and I have nothing but respect and appreciation for that.