PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

macaroni

Lifer
Oct 28, 2020
Texas
How do you use friction tape on your stems to keep it on? I clench all the time and leave deep marks in my stems.

So far, my friction tape peels off after smoking a few bowls. How do you keep your's on? What say you, if you successfully use it (hey Mark--can you weigh in :))) I seem to recall you using it @hoosierpipeguy).

Normally, I'll wrap it only once or 1 1/2 times around the stem. Maybe that's to few turns of tape 'round the stem???

1. Does your tape stay on for several smokes?
2. Do you get little "tails" of tape flapping around in your mouth around the button when smoking?

thnx for any tips,
mike

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
How do you use friction tape on your stems...?

The only uses I knew of for friction tape were to wrap bat handles and worn out baseballs, and to fix broken eye-glasses (see the sterling example below). I had not heard (or read) of it being used on pipe-stems, and would think that a Softy protector would be a much preferable alternative.

Glasses.jpg

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I wrap 6 to 8 times around and stretch it a lot in order to create the friction. You definitely cannot just wrap it with no pressure. I've been using it for a couple of years. Need to replace it every 12 to 18 months. I also may tear some off as it wears and the end doesn't stick.
This is the way. I use the tape on amber stems.

macaroni

Lifer
Oct 28, 2020
Texas
Thanks Mark & "ashdigger" (@hoosierpipeguy @ashdigger )! Clearly, I've been wrapping too short of a piece and not stretching it hard enough.

Thnx, also-- @huntertrw! I'm trying to get used to Softy stem tips. My problem is that with my Tom Eltang stems, they let some air onto the "draw" (maybe the Softy is too stretched out/old?)--or I'm not clenching had enough. I do like 'em, though, but they seem a bit too thick for my taste/use.

Thanks again to all,
mike

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
The only uses I knew of for friction tape were to wrap bat handles and worn out baseballs, and to fix broken eye-glasses (see the sterling example below). I had not heard (or read) of it being used on pipe-stems, and would think that a Softy protector would be a much preferable alternative.

View attachment 194575
I tried them. Couldn't stand the texture and were too spongy.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Thanks Mark & "ashdigger" (@hoosierpipeguy @ashdigger )! Clearly, I've been wrapping too short of a piece and not stretching it hard enough.

Thnx, also-- @huntertrw! I'm trying to get used to Softy stem tips. My problem is that with my Tom Eltang stems, they let some air onto the "draw" (maybe the Softy is too stretched out/old?)--or I'm not clenching had enough. I do like 'em, though, but they seem a bit too thick for my taste/use.

Thanks again to all,
mike
Both gentlemen do the same as I. If it helps, think of it like taping a hockey stick.

Another gentleman here suggested using just the small end of a soft bit (since I don't care for them "as is"l. However, I haven't tried it yet.

Zeno Marx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2022
Have you tried non-toxic FDA grade translucent polyethylene tubing? The stuff they use on water softeners. You can buy it by the foot, in various diameters, at any hardware store. $1-1.50/ft, and it only takes 1.25"s to do a pipe. Comes in black, clear, clear green, and probably other colors. Flash a lighter underneath it to warm it up. Stretch it over the lip. Pull it on. Flavorless. Has some resistance, so it isn't like chewing on rubber. Nice on teeth. Even nicer to your stems.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Tried all those on bagpipes. Unlike smoking pipes, a bagpipes involves repid movements. Holding on to the mouth piece was rather crucial. After a lot of experiment, soft rubber bit was the best for chumping down and locking the mouth piece in my.. Mouth. Then one day, I notice a funny thing from an open piper I admire a lot. He doesn't bite on the the mouth piece! He plays fast tunes, marches, competes and all, but it looks like he's just holding on to the bit without biting down on it. I tried, but didn't work that well for me. But! When I started smoking pipes, I decide not to bite the stem. There was no need for it. I'm not marching around with heavy instrument on my shoulder with a bag under my arm making shitload of noise. I'm just sitting down enjoying the smoke. Even lunting, it slow gentle walk with a cane. Not a death march on a Christmas parade people yelling at me "you don't look like an Irish!" Use whatever you need to. But you really don't need to bite your stem.

Briar Tuck

Lifer
Nov 29, 2022
Oregon coast
Have you tried non-toxic FDA grade translucent polyethylene tubing? The stuff they use on water softeners. You can buy it by the foot, in various diameters, at any hardware store. $1-1.50/ft, and it only takes 1.25"s to do a pipe. Comes in black, clear, clear green, and probably other colors. Flash a lighter underneath it to warm it up. Stretch it over the lip. Pull it on. Flavorless. Has some resistance, so it isn't like chewing on rubber. Nice on teeth. Even nicer to your stems.
I brew beer so I have a lot of this stuff on hand. If I ever feel the need this will be my first option to try.