PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

macaroni

Lifer
Oct 28, 2020
Texas
I used to be a chomper. But it's stressful on the jaw muscles
@Briar Tuck & @didimauw - I'll also give this a try. Thanks!!

Sitting here doing it--I see my bowl trembling a bit when I just hang it off my jaws. Maybe My jaws quiver and shake like I got the palsey LOL! I do recall walking / lunting with my pipe and not clenching firmly--and my pipe fell out and hit the sidewalk--Dang!!!! Hope that doesn't happen again LOL

Does your pipe shake a little when you hang it in your mouth loosely?

kindly
mike

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

macaroni

Lifer
Oct 28, 2020
Texas
I don’t use softy bits. They feel like a condom in the back seat of a 1979 Buick involving poor decisions and $20.
@ashdigger OK - I recall a '79 Buick Electra LOL! But I'm clueless what a rubber feels like between my teeth! Errr, wait a minute....that's not what you said! OKay, they do "feel" the same I suppose LOL :))))))))

Thanks for the grins
kindly
mike

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
@Briar Tuck & @didimauw - I'll also give this a try. Thanks!!

Sitting here doing it--I see my bowl trembling a bit when I just hang it off my jaws. Maybe My jaws quiver and shake like I got the palsey LOL! I do recall walking / lunting with my pipe and not clenching firmly--and my pipe fell out and hit the sidewalk--Dang!!!! Hope that doesn't happen again LOL

Does your pipe shake a little when you hang it in your mouth loosely?

kindly
mike
No. The top teeth do most of the work. The bottom are just there for support. All the smoke goes to the roof of the mouth.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I love the tape...can't stand the feel of the softie bits. I find it stays in place really well most of the time, but my experience has been the opposite of others...if I stretch it too much it seems to not work as well. I normally just pull it tight but without actually stretching it and it seems to stay in place best that way...ymmv.

Zeno Marx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2022
I use heat resistant food grade silicone tubing. Here’s the ebay link I used a few weeks back: Silicone Tubing Food Grade Home Brewing Equipment Heat Resistant Hose Flexible | eBay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/225105910461?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=_9u5fdsxrcg&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=2beoB5ZVQeC&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

I ordered one 6*8mm and one 8*10mm and they have worked great for various button sizes.
That looks like the tubing I mentioned earlier. Also can usually be found at your local corner hardware store...if you still have one.

Reactions: varrj

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Clench is a terrible term. Well, unless you really are "clenching" the bit with your teeth. Not everyone's jaw is built for gently holding the bit between one's molars. Luckily I can simply, jaw at rest, place the bit between my molars and forget it unless I'm doing some actively manual labor. Then I do apply a bit of pressure. Not enough to leave "chatter" marks on the bit though. One has to consciously learn to rest the pipe and not simply grip with the teeth. It's easier with a bent pipe.

Just takes a bit of practice to feel comforatable doing and, teeth and jaw aligned to do so. Bits I chewed through years ago do wear a "softie" to improve a somewhat ruined draw, what with a piece of the bit missing. I don't replace/repair a ruined bit, the pipe is simply a tool, just mend it so it works well. "Softies" usually do the trick.

woodrow

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 28, 2018
Melfort, Saskatchewan, Canada
Silicone tape is great for denture wearers. I use silicone tape on all my pipes. Wearing a denture you can’t feel the pressure on the bit like ordinary teeth.
I’ve never tried softies. No need to. Also the tape memorizes your own bite mark on the pipe. Softies don’t.

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
Hopefully, it's not actually friction tape we're talking about here, but instead, adhesive-free tape which self-adheres via static. It's sold for various purposes. The first individual to post about it here was Neal (npod) Osborne. He was using tape that was marketed for bondage play, but it was similar to duct tape in width, which was inconvenient. I subsequently found a product marketed for binding electrical wires together, like in cars, that's perhaps 3/4"-7/8" wide. Very cheap, too.

It does protect the stem pretty well and isn't very noticeable in your mouth because it's very thin. It seems to me to work better on pipes whose stems don't flare too much at the button. It's funny, sometimes it can want to unravel, but other times, it can stay fine for years. I am lucky that my teeth don't damage my stems much, so I primarily use it to add grip to stems which are hard to clench. Small stems seem to be where I use it the most. Since the pipe is more secure in my teeth, I don't have to clench so tightly, which is both more comfortable and better for the pipe.

I know some folks have moved to using parafilm, which I believe is used in surgery and for grafting plants. I haven't tried it myself, though.

I can't do the softy bits. My buddy uses softy bits in a way that I think makes sense, He uses the smallest size that will fit, slices off the "button" part of the rubber, then slides the remaining tubular portion of the softy bit until it's just past the stem's button.

macaroni

Lifer
Oct 28, 2020
Texas
Hopefully, it's not actually friction tape we're talking about here, but instead, adhesive-free tape which self-adheres via static. It's sold for various purposes. The first individual to post about it here was Neal (npod) Osborne. . . .

softy bits in a way that I think makes sense, He uses the smallest size that will fit, slices off the "button" part of the rubber, then slides the remaining tubular portion of the softy bit until it's just past the stem's button.
@craiginthecorn - thanks very much! I'll try the tape. Do you have a link to what you use? Seems to be a lot of choices out there :)

And thanks also for the tip on trimming off the wide part of the softee tip--I'll try that, too.
kindly
mike

Reactions: craiginthecorn

macaroni

Lifer
Oct 28, 2020
Texas
Hopefully, it's not actually friction tape we're talking about here, but instead, adhesive-free tape which self-adheres via static. It's sold for various purposes. . . .
Great tape, thanks for the tip. I found tape called "SharkBite" at Lowes. I like it best of all--softee bits, and poly tubing (which also work for me but not as comfortable). I'll see how it holds up with use. Thanks again-
mike

p.s. - hope it's "food grade" or at least, okay to put in my mouth/on my lips :)

Reactions: craiginthecorn
May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
Great tape, thanks for the tip. I found tape called "SharkBite" at Lowes. I like it best of all--softee bits, and poly tubing (which also work for me but not as comfortable). I'll see how it holds up with use. Thanks again-
mike

p.s. - hope it's "food grade" or at least, okay to put in my mouth/on my lips :)
I have had the same concerns about the safety of the material. Vinyl (PVC) isn't the healthiest plastic, but it is used in water pipes and some food containers contain dinner PVC. My suspicion is that the danger would be mainly with extended contact with substances that degrade the material and that using it on a pipe stem is unlikely to be dangerous, but if there's something safer, I'd definitely use it. I am guessing that the parafilm tape would be a safer choice. Parafilm-m, in particular, is designated as food-safe. If I find one that is the right width and works well, I'll be sure to share that info.

Last edited: