PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ziggywm

Can't Leave
Sep 9, 2019
Fargo, ND
Well, since thus thread is talking Fribourg and Treyer (aka The Old Pipe Shop) I thought I would add some history to the discussion. In 1920 a book was published with pictures of F&T on their 200th anniversary. In 1974, another book for their 250+. Both books are in my library. I was in the shop at 34 Haymarket in 2016. Today its a souvenir shop (sadly). Still, the shelves where jars of snuff and tobacco were stored for sale are still there. The shelves evidenced dips in the wood where the jars were pulled for 250+ years. More amazing was the Adam's screen and front bow windows, now 300 yrs old. Just think, those windows survived the bombing of London WW1 & 2.

Ziggywm

Can't Leave
Sep 9, 2019
Fargo, ND
The review, a very good one, got me to searching my tobacco stash and therein I found a tin I laid down 10 years ago! The flakes were laid out nicely, none broken, smelling of plum and dark fruit, but a natural tobacco smell from pressed, aged tobacco, not from a top dressing. The flakes were a mottled reddish brown with some yellow specks (VA Bright?). I smoked two bowls, one rubbed out, the other in broken chunks. Not much difference in taste between the two methods of preparation - maybe a little slower burn rate with the latter. I had to re-light it from time-to-time and tamp it between lights. It is a little fussy, but worth it. The taste was slightly sweet and nutty with some VA grassey notes. Very mild, no tongue bite. A very smooth smoke. None of the spiciness you get with a VA/Per or some of the complexity with Oriental condiment additions. If puffed too aggressively the pipes warmed, but nothing in the hot range - Slow puffing was best for taste. The baccy burned dry to a nice white ash. This flake maybe too mild for those who like flakes with more umph and complexity, but I thourghly enjoyed it.20210201_193614_compress78.jpg

May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
OH Yes, I understand only to well! And don't leave out G & H either... ;)
Still need to explore the G&H world...I’ve just too much besides right now. So far I’ve enjoyed Dark Flake Unscented & Rum Flake. Once I get tired of the lighter side of my Virginias & Burleys currently in cabinet...I’ll definitely get some ropes and other stronger stuff. ?☕

Ziggywm

Can't Leave
Sep 9, 2019
Fargo, ND
@Ziggywm is this one in your book, or have you seen this one with the bike parked outside? This is really cool... :col:

Tobacco bike deliveries! :)

View attachment 63763
That one us not in the 1920 book. Great shot! Does it give a year? The door on the right is where the Tryer family lived for generations. Believe its to the stairs that go upstairs and the family quarters.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
That one us not in the 1920 book. Great shot! Does it give a year? The door on the right is where the Tryer family lived for generations. Believe its to the stairs that go upstairs and the family quarters.

I was just doing a google image search and ran into it.

P.S. I just found this, really good stuff! ?

Ziggywm

Can't Leave
Sep 9, 2019
Fargo, ND
I was just doing a google image search and ran into it.

P.S. I just found this, really good stuff! ?

PipeIT, thanks for the attachments! Great stuff. I had read - online - most of this history before I was in London in 2016 and was an motivation to look up the old shop when there. There is more detail in the 1920 book by George Evans of sales records, pictures, snuff jars, etc. You might be able to find a copy at Abebooks.com, a web site that sells used and old books. I think that is where I found my copies as posted earlier in the pictures. The old shop is across the street from one of London's oldest play houses where F&T sold goods to theater goers. I went to a show there and so got a feel for it too. I am attaching a picture of family in front of the store. IMG_20160903_094310558.jpg

Ziggywm

Can't Leave
Sep 9, 2019
Fargo, ND
Here is a F&T ashtray, made by Wedgewood Pottery in GB in honor of the shop. I think I found it on Ebay years ago. The next shot is of my F&T pipe, a pot stamped "Reject". The grain is good and have never found a flaw. Maybe someone knows who made pipes for them. It has the feel of GBD or Comoy.20210203_165310_compress70.jpg20210203_165343_compress79.jpg

Jan 6, 2018
NC
Here is a F&T ashtray, made by Wedgewood Pottery in GB in honor of the shop. I think I found it on Ebay years ago. The next shot is of my F&T pipe, a pot stamped "Reject". The grain is good and have never found a flaw. Maybe someone knows who made pipes for them. It has the feel of GBD or Comoy.View attachment 63918View attachment 63919
Really beautiful pipe and plates.

Status
Not open for further replies.