2 Fresh Former Pipes
108 Fresh Brulor Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jan 27, 2020
Our Iowa sweet corn season is done here - it was a good one for local sweet corn and the wife has plenty frozen for Thanksgiving and for soups this winter. I won’t eat corn from a can or frozen from a bag from the store so whatever sweet corn we freeze is it for us and carefully rationed.

My Grandmother froze so much corn at the end of the summer. I don't buy any canned vegetables and find them beyond vile.

Reactions: HawkeyeLinus

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
My Grandmother froze so much corn at the end of the summer. I don't buy any canned vegetables and find them beyond vile.
I still buy certain brands of canned tomatoes for sauces and I've got a couple of different go to cans of beans for chili. Jarred pickles and jalapeños are unavoidable once the garden stock is exhausted. Otherwise, I share your abhorrence.

Reactions: puff_not_snuff
Jan 27, 2020
I still buy certain brands of canned tomatoes for sauces and I've got a couple of different go to cans of beans for chili. Jarred pickles and jalapeños are unavoidable once the garden stock is exhausted. Otherwise, I share your abhorrence.

Oh yes, buy canned tomatoes too but always the whole peeled ones, I should of mentioned that. I actually find the Cento brand to be the best and usually not expensive comparatively. I think using canned tomatoes for sauce vs. out of season fresh to make much more sense. If I had a bigger tomato crop I would put some up at the end of summer. Maybe next year...

Reactions: HawkeyeLinus

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Oh yes, buy canned tomatoes too but always the whole peeled ones, I should of mentioned that. I actually find the Cento brand to be the best and usually not expensive comparatively. I think using canned tomatoes for sauce vs. out of season fresh to make much more sense. If I had a bigger tomato crop I would put some up at the end of summer. Maybe next year...
Those are good, also Muir Glen here.

Reactions: puff_not_snuff

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I grew some corn plants one year in one of our polytunnels. They grew so fast that at one point they were piercing the polytunnel cover!

I had to trim them every day as if left untrimmed they would have caused irreparable damage. The resulting cobs however were an absolute delight to eat with a good knob of butter.

I had never tasted corn on the cob like it before and have never since....so sweet and er corny :rolleyes:

Regards,

Jay.