PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Corn is still going strong here in Maryland, although by the end of August, availability tapers quickly. Dinner last night was corn on the cob and grilled tomato slices, a great summer meal. Sadly,we had no time this summer to freeze any, typically we do 200 ears.

Reactions: puff_not_snuff

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Haha, no. But no doubt good and the best you can find.
I think it is documented here, or somewhere on the internet. I thought so, here it is. My local farm did say Silver Queen is out, they grow Argent. On a serious note, corn is ever evolving, like other agri-farm products.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
I think it is documented here, or somewhere on the internet. I thought so, here it is. My local farm did say Silver Queen is out, they grow Argent. On a serious note, corn is ever evolving, like other agri-farm products.

Just defending my homeland! Both my parents are from “the farm” and I worked one of them many summers, staying with my grandparents on my Dad’s side. As much as I liked sweet corn, it didn’t compare to the strawberries both my grandmas would serve up earlier in the season!

Jan 27, 2020

Do you think they are misrepresenting the corn? Serious question.

Jan 27, 2020
I discovered a new way to eat corn on the cob. You know how it's hard to get the corn to hold an acceptable amount of butter? Well, now I shove a glob of butter in my mouth between bites. It's simply heavenly!

Btw., the best corn is Silver Queen from NJ and MD!

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
I like fresh corn, in my wife's native Serbia it's still possible to get corn off the plant around the villages. I read in Roald Dahl's Cookbook that an American writer, maybe Mark Twain, once quipped that water should be boiling before you touch the plant to get the sweetest corn.
If I am going to cook corn over coals, and being the weirdo I am and overcomplicating things I like to first blanch it in water for a few minutes, then put it over coals, the idea being that the boiling denatures the enzymes which normally turn sugar into starch, so the sugar is retained better. Who knows. Sometimes we've had corn literally sweet as candy. No butter or anything, just a sprinkle of salt.

Jan 27, 2020
I like fresh corn, in my wife's native Serbia it's still possible to get corn off the plant around the villages. I read in Roald Dahl's Cookbook that an American writer, maybe Mark Twain, once quipped that water should be boiling before you touch the plant to get the sweetest corn.
If I am going to cook corn over coals, and being the weirdo I am and overcomplicating things I like to first blanch it in water for a few minutes, then put it over coals, the idea being that the boiling denatures the enzymes which normally turn sugar into starch, so the sugar is retained better. Who knows. Sometimes we've had corn literally sweet as candy. No butter or anything, just a sprinkle of salt.

Well, how my Grandmother taught me to cook corn is to bring the water to a boil with the corn n it, them turn it off cover the pot and let it sit for 10mins.

I've had corn in a few places in Eastern Europe including Bosnia and Croatia and the varieties they tend to grow there have much bigger kernels and require a longer cooking time. Really not nice corn in my opinion. I prefer to stick with ayvar and cevapi when I'm in the Balkans.

Reactions: karam

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW
Guess I'm well on my way to codger-dom, because I can remember when you could get a dozen ears for $1. Oh, and I always pick yellow if available (that's all Wild Turkey uses also!)

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
I discovered a new way to eat corn on the cob. You know how it's hard to get the corn to hold an acceptable amount of butter? Well, now I shove a glob of butter in my mouth between bites. It's simply heavenly!

I've seen a photo of people eating corn attached to paint rollers and dipping the rollers into melted butter.

Our family had a plastic thing that held a stick of butter and allowed you to push the butter as needed (like a push pop) so the square part could easily glide over the corn.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc

No farms plant Silver Queen any more, at least not in this part of Maryland.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Well, how my Grandmother taught me to cook corn is to bring the water to a boil with the corn n it, them turn it off cover the pot and let it sit for 10mins.

I've had corn in a few places in Eastern Europe including Bosnia and Croatia and the varieties they tend to grow there have much bigger kernels and require a longer cooking time. Really not nice corn in my opinion. I prefer to stick with ayvar and cevapi when I'm in the Balkans.
Ayvar was a revelation the first time I had it, then I shocked the Serbs by making it in Greece and tasting about as good as some of the best there is. As a Greek cevapi is nothing special for me, we have many similar things, still very tasty though!

I guess it's simple selection for traits they want to have, they use corn a lot for flour over there so maybe they selected for large starchy kernels over the years. On a related note, I watched a Netflix documentary about beef, exploring cow breeds around the world, it seems nations around the world have selected cows to match their cooking styles, the French beef for example apparently was no good for grilling, but was great for stewing.

Jan 27, 2020
Ayvar was a revelation the first time I had it, then I shocked the Serbs by making it in Greece and tasting about as good as some of the best there is. As a Greek cevapi is nothing special for me, we have many similar things, still very tasty though!

I guess it's simple selection for traits they want to have, they use corn a lot for flour over there so maybe they selected for large starchy kernels over the years. On a related note, I watched a Netflix documentary about beef, exploring cow breeds around the world, it seems nations around the world have selected cows to match their cooking styles, the French beef for example apparently was no good for grilling, but was great for stewing.

I could see that about French beef.

I think Macedonia makes the best ajvar, truth is though, the Ottomans introduced ajvar and cevapi to Europe, and most modern Greek dishes for that matter originate in what is now Turkey.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Our Iowa sweet corn season is done here - it was a good one for local sweet corn and the wife has plenty frozen for Thanksgiving and for soups this winter. I won’t eat corn from a can or frozen from a bag from the store so whatever sweet corn we freeze is it for us and carefully rationed.