PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

chispa

Can't Leave
Sep 18, 2011

MARCEL BICH & EDOUARD BUFFARD

Marcel Bich (1914-1994) and his partner Edouard Buffard (1908-1996) manufacture fountain pen and mechanical pencil parts in Clichy (France)
1973 BIC lighter introduced.
Yes, BIC is French. So light that algerian briar with a BIC.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
For keeping the quality up and the price within reach, the French are right in the running with

the Danish and Italians. And frankly, some of the U.S. old time assembly line briars are

extraordinarily good at the price, if you shop carefully. But the French pipes are uniformly

strong. A turkey here and there, but not many. By having so much of the pipe industry in

one place at St. Claude I think the French have maintained a sense of community and pride.

They want to impress the pipe buyer, and they do.

teilhard

Lurker
Feb 8, 2014
Even though I am French and was born believing in everything French I do not smoke many French pipes. Maybe it's because I didn't start smoking pipes until I immigrated to the US where English, Irish, and Italians are the rage. Since then I have acquired sone french pipes, mainly BC and Chacom. Both are great smokers but I'm in love my Chacom and want another. My most recent purchases are also French but I'm just now breaking it in, a Genod. I can already tell it is a winner.
I grew up in Provence where I have fond memories of the older crowd puffing on their pipes playing petanque in the all day. Next time I visit my family I will a special trip to visit the Genod factory. If only the average Frenchman would trade the cigarette for a pipe!

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
My favorite flake pipe is a little Sebastian Beo Rhodesian. The stem didn't fit well on reciept but after trying to smoke through it, I heated the tenon a bit. I smoke it very regularly.

kanada

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 8, 2014
I have 2 chacoms and a Jeantet. I really like both the Chacoms, good smokes

allanman

Lurker
Jul 27, 2010
Uh... folks are we ignoring the French pipes that were the earliest' Dunhills, or for that matter the current Dunhills? Or is my information all fouled up here?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Uh... folks are we ignoring the French pipes that were the earliest' Dunhills, or for that matter the current Dunhills? Or is my information all fouled up here?
No, your information is correct, though Dunhill augmented their stock with work from other English makers while they built up their operation. Dunhill continued to buy French bowls for many years, which may be one reason that they so strenuously fought legislation, in 1928, that required bowls stamped as being made in England to actually have been made in England.
Barling also bought French bowls up to 1906, when they decided to make all of their own bowls. In 1928, Barling was pushing to have enacted the above mentioned legislation.
The classic "English" shapes are actually classic French shapes. At one time, St Claude was the center of the pipe making universe.

lyle

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2012
Des Moines, IA, USA
I have 18 French pipes. Do I win the title of biggest French pipe collection?
Many of those pipes are French-made GBDs, in case that disqualifies me...

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
As far as number of french pipes, I have 12. However, I have some new Brigham's that I'm sure were technically made in France. And aren't modern Peterson also made in France?

If so, that would put my count of french made pipes up to 16.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
"David Enrique's work is truly beautiful. It is odd that French pipes don't get the attention they deserve."
I agree sablebrush52. I have some, though not of the heraldry of yours. They smoke as well as my other pipes in the same price range.
I have seen some beautiful brier over the years in "Algerian" pipe stock.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I've got one French made pipe. It says made in France on it. Funny thing about it is that it is called a Swiss Dry Smoker...that's on one side of the shank..and the other not only says Made in France but also Algerian Briar.

This pipe has two ports in the bowl and is light as a feather. It smokes like a charm.

stosho

Might Stick Around
Aug 10, 2013
I just received this fine guy today. I've been wanting a bulldog and this is my first purchase ever on ebay. I got it oddly cheap but am pleased as can be. Text says Saint Claude and P Viou. I believe that is the location followed by the maker. If anyone can shed any light on what I have let me know.

portalhq

Lurker
Aug 22, 2014
I've got quite a few French pipes in my collection, second only to the Italians in number, all are decent pipes. Just bought a nice new Ropp bulldog that smokes real nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.