Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokeytay33

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 29, 2013
Out of my small pipe collection, two of them are French. In fact, my very first pipe was a French pipe. In my opinion, they are my best smokers, and some of the best looking ones I own as well.
Smokey Tay :puffy:

swampmouth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2013
I have(and had)quite a few. Many are/were EWA's. I ordered most of them directly from France through AdHoc Pipe. Good small pipe selection. Alot of colords. They all had stingers which still perform well. A large billiard with a briar stem is still smoking almost daily. Good value, slight flaws, and lightweight hallmark all my frenchies. If AdHoc was still sellin', I'd be buyin'.

bzero007

Lurker
Jun 9, 2014
Washington, DC NOVA
Currently my favorite smoker is my Chacom Maya Poker, and every time it just amazes how ell it smokes.

Next inline is my Graco Duet bulldog half smooth and half rusticated and it also smokes like a champ.

Next in line is my Savinelli and Peterson.
I currently have a long list of pipes i would like to purchase and another chacom and graco are on thier.

bwithers55

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 17, 2012
Would the Ligne Bretagne pipes qualify as French? Trever Talbert used French stummels and finished them while living in France for a time.
Best Wishes,

Bill Withers

ravenwolf

Can't Leave
Mar 18, 2014
I bought three sandblasted Wessex pipes (a bulldog, a lumberman, and a billiard) with hand cut cumberland stems a few years ago. They are excellent pipes.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
I am a big Chacom fan and have owned quite a few but in general I'm a bigger fan of Italian companies and American artisans.

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
Thanks for resurrecting the thread Owen and (belated) welcome to the site. AFAIK I have 1 French pipe but I love it. I paid $2(!) on ebay for a little French billiard by Stroller and it is in my top 3 smokers. Light, clean draw, clear taste and always smokes straight down the bowl. I'm desperately looking for another/more of the same, but no luck so far. I haven't ventured yet into the major French makers as I prefer Danish and Italian factory-mades, but I'm sure I'll get there.
Andy

owen

Part of the Furniture Now
May 28, 2014
@berthezen

How do they compare with other pipe nationalities? Are you a big fan of them, did you seek them out or are they what pipers in France generally use?

owen

berthezen06

Lurker
Jun 10, 2014
France
French pipes (Chacom and butz Choquin) are smoked by a majority of French. Briar quality is good.

foreign smokers appreciate these pipes.

Compared to others pipe nationalities they are a good quality / price ratio and offer a wide choice of shapes.

Bernard

(sorry for my English :(

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
Welcome to the site Bernard and thanks for the info. Your English is really good. Better than some of the English speakers on here!
Andy

olewaylon

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2012
I have a few Chacoms and two Jeantets that are all nice pipe. I dont really have a focus on collecting pipes from certain origins though.

natibo

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 10, 2013
Cincinnati, OH USA
I have one BC and one Chacom. The BC was a piece of crap. Smoked hot from day 1 no matter how slow I smoked. Waste of money. The Chacom is a nice pipe, but does not smoke as well as a Savinelli for the same price.

trevert

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 11, 2009
NC
You guys are aware of French pipemaker David Enrique, yes? He does terrific work.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Hi Trever,
David Enrique's work is truly beautiful. It is odd that French pipes don't get the attention they deserve. But as I own some of your Ligne Bretagne pipes, and some very old 19th century Barling's, I've got a few in my collection.

elpfeife

Lifer
Dec 25, 2013
I am aware of Enrique but didn't realize he is French. By the way, I recently obtained one of your Ligne Bretagne pipes and it is excellent.

trevert

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 11, 2009
NC
Glad to hear you both like your Ligne Bretagnes! I met David back when I was living over there. When he was first getting started, he came up to Brittany for a visit and to talk shop. I helped him pick out some sandblasting gear and we had some enjoyable chats on pipemaking minutia. He's a really nice guy and I was very impressed by the quality of his work. When we left France we ended up selling some of our workshop tools and briar stock to him, since we couldn't ship it all.

Status
Not open for further replies.